Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL. Good one. It's not easy at all. With all our education and training we are imperfect at best.

I did it for 20+ years in the Navy - and on a moving target.  Most folks don't understand that you really have to watch the weather, sats, and models on an almost continuous basis to be really good. 

The dry area on radar is the real deal. It hasn't snowed a flake here in well over an hour. I also wonder if the stuff on radar to the west is real or if it is showing up simply because it's further from the radar.

I think we'll get another quick burst here shortly before it shuts off for good.

The days of pretty simulated radar images and weenie snow maps are making the science worse. Weenies getting expectations too high.

I see your side. Remember though...it is just guidance... A simulation of what that particular model expects to happen. As a forecaster it is not a good idea to rely on the model accumulated qpf and snowfall. Many times its high. Fact is... Yes the models spit out decent amounts of snow but in this case you start warm then bring a southward moving shallow airmass in with a battleground going on.

It is better to know the climatology, what the type of pattern produced in the past, understand known biases within the NWP fields and then have a good conceptual picture of what you think will happen. Then look at the guidance. A model could throw out 8 inches of snow but it doesn't tell you the dendrite structure or whether or not it will effectively accumulate. Just my 2 cents.

I'm just under 4". I said yesterday I would be surprised if I got less than 6". Personal bust unless the last hurrah does something unexpected.

With that being said, this storm had little precedence to go off of. There wasn't much "remember the last time we had a storm like this..." to help shape the forecast beyond models.

We all suspected the dry artic air pressing in could pose problems but nobody could say with any certainty how it would play out.

Looking upstream yesterday afternoon and last night had prolific rain/sleet/thunder etc. Heck, Memphis has 2"+ of rain. That's usually a good sign for us to get heavy precip.

In the end, the culprit is the very dry arctic air doing its dirty work. It was underestimated and undermodeled. Next time it's in play with some sort of similar setup some year in the future we can look back to this and use it as data to help shape the forecast.

Anyone talking about "bust" or "underperforming" or bashing NWS in general is being unreasonable.

No such thing as a snow bust in March around here, given the relative rarity of snowfall during the month.

The early AM zone foreasts yesterday were a bit aggressive, but were dialed back as more data emerged. I've been under 6-10 forecast since yesterday, and that will easily verify.

I'm just under 4". I said yesterday I would be surprised if I got less than 6". Personal bust unless the last hurrah does something unexpected.

With that being said, this storm had little precedence to go off of. There wasn't much "remember the last time we had a storm like this..." to help shape the forecast beyond models.

We all suspected the dry artic air pressing in could pose problems but nobody could say with any certainty how it would play out.

Looking upstream yesterday afternoon and last night had prolific rain/sleet/thunder etc. Heck, Memphis has 2"+ of rain. That's usually a good sign for us to get heavy precip.

In the end, the culprit is the very dry arctic air doing its dirty work. It was underestimated and undermodeled. Next time it's in play with some sort of similar setup some year in the future we can look back to this and use it as data to help shape the forecast.

This.

I've loved every second of this wondrous event. That said, I doubt anyone gets a foot of snow "DC proper." What bothered me yesterday was the knee jerk reaction from the board know-it-alls when the hi-Rez NAM suggested less snow than other models. Mr. Chill did say that he had concerns about an earlier end to the event, which seems to be playing out. Keep in mind when you point a finger at a weenie, you've got 3 (and maybe more) fingers pointing back at you.

yet the changeover was late as the GFS and Euro had us basically changing over around 1-1:30AM, so it was a double whammy of sorts managing to screw us on both ends

anyway, those that went with below consensus forecast totals were right.....and dare I say "again"?

At what point are there too many models and too many tools. The amount of available guidance seems to be growing at an incredible rate. Are we already at the point of overkill. Quality will always destroy quantity. I understand all these models serve diff. purposes but are all these short range models really necessary. Is too much money being wasted. Seems to me that it's getting out of control. Also seems it may prevent young mets just getting out of school from reaching their full potential and learning their craft the old fashioned way. Curious to see what others think.

Archived