joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2-3 Obs Thread

Herb@MAWS

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. They were fairly awful with this one. Even as recently as an hour ago they still had the RIC-EZF area getting 6-8 and it looks like its going to dry slot there pretty soon from the west.

Yep. Things were looking good here in RIC, but I suspect we'll be done in the next hour unless we get some serious backbuilding.

This. They were fairly awful with this one. Even as recently as an hour ago they still had the RIC-EZF area getting 6-8 and it looks like its going to dry slot there pretty soon from the west. 

they are terrible models due to their unreliability....some storms great and others shiating the bed

I said as much to Ian last night when the HRRR forecasted 10" while he was supposed to already have 3" on the ground and had ip/rn falling

The record on bumping totals the night before a snow is pretty poor. And given people are generally more open to busting high than low... might be worth considering in the future.

I don't want to pollute this thread..but I'm referring to snow maps posted when they can be shaky at best. I did not have to forecast this event...but there is a lot that goes into forecasting snow amounts....it ain't as easy as those snow maps look. There are those that rip and read those...and then those that get into the science of it. I thought the CWG forecast yesterday morning was good. The 10-14 seemed over the top.  It's never an easy call with this arctic air pressing south and taking the under sometimes is the way to go...but again..I did not have to forecast this one.  I still think this is a great event for you...better then the altostratus up here.

Fair enough. Thank you.

This has been an awesome event...and for those who feel that forecasts didn't work out probably need to read the disco threads more carefully. Many highly skilled mets and skilled enthusiats had a lot of discussion regarding the up and downsides to this event. The NWS had my area in the 4 -8 zone which is verifying here. I was hoping like a weenie for the upside, but I went to bed knowing that was less likely. 4+ inches of snow in March with temps in the low teens is a rare treat. Thanks for the time and energy to those who posted in the model thread. Now off to shovel..

Also, as much flak as the NAM gets.. it often models the edges best.  It seems it will win in the short term here to some degree at least, tho it was too gung ho last night perhaps.

LOL this storm has made people cry from NYC to Richmond.

A little OT, but did anyone hear those reports of 9" of sleet in Kentucky? That's unreal. 

This storm was a joke up here. Only 0.5 after 12+ inches were modeled for a few days by the GFS and Euro.

If you stop snowing for any period of time its going to be tough to rebound...the dry air comes quick...even if you get radar returns to come back, I think its tough to get much accumulate.

there's probably a 1000-2000' layer of dry air that is eating that snow to our west that in most other circumstances, would be looking savory

The dry area on radar is the real deal. It hasn't snowed a flake here in well over an hour. I also wonder if the stuff on radar to the west is real or if it is showing up simply because it's further from the radar.

Looks like were gonna find out in the next half hour. Just got done sledding with my son. Go do it if you can. Solid ice on the hills with snow on top makes for some fast runs. Also takes a toll on this 45 year old body. :) Snow had basically stopped for about the past half hour. I am just under 4 inches and 17 degrees.

LOL. Good one. It's not easy at all. With all our education and training we are imperfect at best.

As difficult as a job as you guys have, i think you do a very good job. If you analyze everyones job with a microscope like everyone does to your job here, of course you will find imperfections.

The days of pretty simulated radar images and weenie snow maps are making the science worse. Weenies getting expectations too high.

Agreed, but I don't think that addresses the point.  If things end up as is looking likely, then this was quite the bust on total snowfall by professional forecasters pretty much up and down the board.  It is what it is, and while I don't agree with people getting upset about it, I do think it's fair to point it out.

Archived