northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 2-3 Storm Disco, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great overnight and early morning runs! I was wondering which is more likely: a slight shift north, or a shift south? It may be impossible to tell, but I was just curious.

Thanks.

If you're talking about future runs, more likely a slight north shift since that's what models usually do at the last minute for overrunning events.

10:1...but are we going to be warm enough for 10:1 for most of that storm? I'm thinking 15:1's are not out of the question by mid-storm given the super cold temperatures that are pushing in.

10:1 seems like a safe bet as always for the whole event, especially given the chance of 3:1 sleet periods or even rain early on.

You guys should look at soundings and not necessarily snow algorithms that won't always be correct.

7am Monday near the onset of the heavy precip shows we might have a little sleet mixing in with a very small warm nose. Looking at 4am it's a bit more of a warm nose so probably mostly sleet then, while by 10am Monday it is pure snow, and probably 12:1 or better ratios with the entire column in the mid to upper 20F's.

And this is the NAM, which is running warmer than ECMWF and GFS.

post-11896-0-06463300-1393687281_thumb.p

7am Monday near the onset of the heavy precip shows we might have a little sleet mixing in with a very small warm nose. Looking at 4am it's a bit more of a warm nose so probably mostly sleet then, while by 10am Monday it is pure snow, and probably 12:1 or better ratios.

attachicon.gifNAM_218_2014030112_F48_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

I understand why the snow algorithm is low, the precip is almost shut off by 18z.  So the NAM verbatim is 6 hours or less of snow for DC. 

7am Monday near the onset of the heavy precip shows we might have a little sleet mixing in with a very small warm nose. Looking at 4am it's a bit more of a warm nose so probably mostly sleet then, while by 10am Monday it is pure snow, and probably 12:1 or better ratios with the entire column in the mid to upper 20F's.

attachicon.gifNAM_218_2014030112_F48_39.0000N_77.0000W.png

You want the deeper lift above 700 if you want high ratios. High ratio stuff will be gone rather quickly in the sun...it pays to get into the meat of the WAA stuff and get some snow that has substance to it if you want it to last. I know everyone loves high ratios...but getting some snow that has a denser quality pays off in March.

You want the deeper lift above 700 if you want high ratios. High ratio stuff will be gone rather quickly in the sun...it pays to get into the meat of the WAA stuff and get some snow that has substance to it if you want it to last. I know everyone loves high ratios...but getting some snow that has a denser quality pays off in March.

Is sun angle really a concern when we will be in the teens/low 20s toward the middle/ end of the storm?

RGEM at 48hrs (7am EST Monday) is looking like it's putting the rain/sleet line just north of DC. Pretty close to what the NAM is showing.

That is one slug of moisture to our west at 48 hours though!

Thanks for posting them! Seems like the changeover happens between 4-6am for most. I likey.

Archived