northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
March 2-3 Storm Disco, Part II

stormtracker

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if we will end up with an inch or so of "concrete" under the the snow, or will the snow insulate the bottom layer and keep it from freezing rock solid. Some school systems in MD are going to be hard pressed to open as soon as possible as state testing begins on Monday and this seems like it might end up being a two day clean up (Mon/Tues) especially if it freezes solid under the snow pack.

I'd ignore some of the NAM QPF blobs, but there will probably be an nice fronto band in there. This should be a good one for DC and those areas east and southeast that haven't exactly been as lucky as the NW burbs.

Thanks Coastal. This one seems to be getting dropped in our laps. Very unusual setup for late feb/early Mar.

Seems like all guidance has honed in on 1"+ of qpf. It's moving too fast to expect much more than 1.25 or so.

I'm wondering if we will end up with an inch or so of "concrete" under the the snow, or will the snow insulate the bottom layer and keep it from freezing rock solid. Some school systems in MD are going to be hard pressed to open as soon as possible as state testing begins on Monday and this seems like it might end up being a two day clean up (Mon/Tues) especially if it freezes solid under the snow pack.

Verbatim on the models, this will be just about a worst-case scenario for road crews and clean-up of parking lots, like 2/13-14/07. As someone else pointed out, it's always bad for road crews when we start with rain and get the plunging temps since the pre-treatment gets washed away. Again, if the models are right, then you do get a layer of melted and non-melted sleet that freezes on the roads before the snow starts accumulating on top that layer. Then with the temps overnight Monday the way they are forecast, any road that doesn't get plowed as the storm is ongoing will have a bottom layer of "concrete."

Schools closed for 3 days after the 2/07 sleet storm, mainly because they could not get the concrete off of school parking lots, sidewalks, etc. 

Thanks Coastal. This one seems to be getting dropped in our laps. Very unusual setup for late feb/early Mar.

Seems like all guidance has honed in on 1"+ of qpf. It's moving too fast to expect much more than 1.25 or so.

I think the area getting that much QPF and mostly snow won't be as wide as some models have...but a narrow area should do real well and a lot of the region should be happy. Your little Spring fling tomorrow is coming to a crashing halt. Still watch for some subtle ticks north or south.

The heavy stuff is well after daybreak.

but still enough ice, that I would not want to be on the roads if I didn't have to.  

I wouldn't either.  Temps will really be crashing.  The nam drops temps through the 20s into the teens during the day Monday.   Gonna be neat storm.

Verbatim on the models, this will be just about a worst-case scenario for road crews and clean-up of parking lots, like 2/13-14/07. As someone else pointed out, it's always bad for road crews when we start with rain and get the plunging temps since the pre-treatment gets washed away. Again, if the models are right, then you do get a layer of melted and non-melted sleet that freezes on the roads before the snow starts accumulating on top that layer. Then with the temps overnight Monday the way they are forecast, any road that doesn't get plowed as the storm is ongoing will have a bottom layer of "concrete."

Schools closed for 3 days after the 2/07 sleet storm, mainly because they could not get the concrete off of school parking lots, sidewalks, etc. 

Yep...that's what I was thinking, and it seems temps will be similar to the sleet fest, at least at night.

Archived