• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Of the following storms which was your favorite?

Deck Pic

Pick ONE  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your fave?

• March 12-13, 1993
    • January 25, 2000
    • February 11-12, 2006
    • February 12-13, 2014

2/12-13 is so fresh in our minds and the late night rates were awesome.....the second wave was awesome for most N and NE of DC, but its hard to beat March 93. And I know its impact along 95 near the cities wasn't THAT incredible, but it was an amazing storm.

I do remember February 2006 looking like a freakin' hurricane on sat imagery when it was cranking up and moving past parallel for our area. It was on a weekend, so most were able to enjoy it. 

I voted 2014....as exciting as the build-up to 1993 was, it turned out a heartbreaker for me in Calvert Co. as I switched to rain after about 5".  IN 1/25/2000, I got stuck between a persistent band to my west, and the main shield to my east, and only got 7" compared to 12-17" to the west and 15-20" plus to the east.  2006 was fun with 12" but 2014 beats it.

I'm curious as to why you chose these particular storms?

They all dropped somewhat similar totals in DC.. same general range at least. Not sure if that's the reason tho.

I feel like I'd be annoyed with Mar 1993 though it sounded like quite a storm.

1/25/200 for me. Nothing like a surprise foot of snow. 93 was awesome from a meteorology stand point and the hype and build up before the storm was great, but for the storm itself was disappointing. 6 hours plus of wind swept sleet and no backside snow still puts a bad taste in my mouth some 20 years later. Knowing we could have gotten 2 feet plus if the track was just slightly better will always irk me. Last week's storm is still too fresh and 2/11-12/2006 was nice in that it helped to salvage an otherwise horrific winter.

March 1993 - ~8" 15 miles northeast of KATL - NW burbs of ATL got up to 20"...I'd estimate my current location near Thomas Circle got 9"

January 2000 - 9.5", 4 blocks north Dupont Circle

February 2006 - 11.0", Mt Pleasant DC

February 2014 - 8.75" - Thomas Circle

hard to pick....since I wasnt in DC for 1993, 

January 2000 - biggest post storm impact in DC - slept for a few hours overnight - all snow

February 2006 - heaviest rates and thunder, but least post storm impact - was out in it all night

February 2014 - Heavy rates, decent post storm impact, but changeover - out in it all night

I'd go with Feb 2014 by a hair.....rates not as good as 2006, but 2006 compacted/melted even more than 2014..

I'm curious as to why you chose these particular storms?

similar totals in DC proper...plus 18"+ maximums somewhere in DC/Balt metro, though not the same place for each storm

In terms of snowstorms,. since 1990, these 4 would have had the highest DC "NESIS" values behind the big 4....dont count 2/9-10/2010 because its impact was impossible to measure in isolation

93 was an awesome storm...I was living in Frederick at the time. Intense wind, heavy snow and sleet, then cold and high winds the next day. The radar and satellite imagery was amazing to watch- the storm had an eye. The next day on New Design Road there were massive drifts that were like tunnels once the front end loaders dug through. (for the Frederick folks). My street had 6 inches of compacted ice that took over a week to get completely clear. The build up to the storm was great and the coverage on TWC was great. (Weather channel glory days)

I think I'll be the odd ball here, but I chose 06. All those storms for me were good although I was way too young to remember 93. 06 I saw my first thunder snow and 4"/hr rates. Ended up with 24" in that storm. I remember that band just sat and oscillated along I95 all night. Randallstown got like 27" from that one. 2000 was an awesome surprise , but that thunder snow from 06 was insane. Slight nod 06 over '00 and '14

It is intuitive.  I decided to vote for last week's storm for the following reason:

the storm over-performed in both phases by a huge amount in my area.  

We still have over a foot of snow on the ground in many places.   But what

really impresses is that with ever improving models, the over-performance is

just that bit more surprising.   It seems the EURO was useful for serving up

a nearly ten day storm signal and the NAM got the comma head fairly accurate.

The GFS got fooled although it performed well to signal the warm Thursday change

over.

This all shows that the expert knows how to weigh the tools of the craft.

I was in South Jersey for '93. I think we got just north of 10", then flipped to heavy sleet, then rain. The whole thing froze solid afterwards. In all, with all the hype, it was a disappointment.

I think I remember 2000, and I'm pretty sure I remember 2006 (was that the one that had numerous reports of thundersnow on LawnGuyland?). Of course, last week's overnight crushing was awesome, but the all-day drizzle the next day kind of ruined the mood.

I'll go with the surprise over anything else. 2000, it is.

I vote '93. The build up was intense and the media coverage was fun to watch. The weather channel was half way decent and Bob Ryan was at his best. While I received 10" before the sleet moved in (bummer) the storm was the first one I was able to follow from inception to devastation (I use that word loosely).

"06 was a disappointment. I followed it intensely and was one of the areas that received relatively very little snow. I was so devastated, following all the reports from areas as close as 2 miles away getting dumped on.

2014 was also a letdown. I changed over to sleet and freezing rain early enough to only get about 6". Don't get me wrong. That much snow and the build up on the model runs for a week were fun, but it doesn't compare to the rest of the storms we have to choose from.

Hands down. March '93.

1/25/20 for sure. I love them all, but that one was awesome. I'll never forget getting home late that night from a buddies place. Grabbed a beer from the fridge. Put on twc to check the radar. I radar image come on and I almost dropped my beer. The snow started about 30 mins later. It came in fast and heavy. Did well that day. I can't remember my exact total, but I know it was up around 20" here in the crofton area. That was one Heck of a bust that day lol.

I was in different locations for these sorms but I chose 1/2000 for two reasons: the surprise factor and the fact that my location in Upper Marlboro was near-max in the metro for snowfalll, 15-18 inches I believe. Second goes to last week's storm in Odenton, about 15 inches or so but the rain/mix was a huge bummer. Third to 2/2006, I was in northeast D.C. and had given up around midnight to sleep only to wake up to diminishing snow and clearly rising temperatures (the 10-12" that fell was all gone by sundown), plus stunning reports in Howard County and northeast from there. Last is 3/1993 as I was eight at the time and not paying attention; I have a feeling I would have disliked all the mixing and the tight gradient between good snowfl and GREAT snowfall to.the west.

I was surfing the internet and, specifically, the radar on the 2000 storm, and you could tell that it was turning the corner way before NWS could get out a forecast.  I imagine that they were scrambling to put out warnings while I was on the phone with a friend screaming, "It's making the turn!  It's making the turn!"

Ten years earlier and who would've known?

Archived