• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You think we'll see the east shift like we typically see 24-36 hours out or is it more likely to do what Euro has?

I don't think it can come much further west northwest due to the energy behind it and the low which is good. I think east is the only trend from here. Could be further east than one likes IMO. Models could be underplaying this thing getting kicked off into the ocean as its still in the early stages. 

Wait till Mark sees WPC forecast and track..If they're right it's a foot + of paste right to the coast with kore of an offshore track

The problem with tracks like this is that 98-100 times it would be snow pretty far east. This storm really warms aloft so the 850 isotherm makes it pretty far west. I think you have to side with the euro guidance...but a 50 mile shift from you and east means quite a lot. A shift one way or the other.

The problem with tracks like this is that 98-100 times it would be snow pretty far east. This storm really warms aloft so the 850 isotherm makes it pretty far west. I think you have to side with the euro guidance...but a 50 mile shift from you and east means quite a lot. A shift one way or the other.

50 mile shift means a lot to a lot of folks on here, haha. Whether you are in eastern New England or Western New England....southern or northern.

I still favor the progressive pattern. Would think a consensus of model guidance puts like I-84 and 495 corridors in a good spot right now.

Wait till Mark sees WPC forecast and track..If they're right it's a foot + of paste right to the coast with kore of an offshore track

Well first let me say that hpc was all over this 2 days ago.  Their qpf maps are pretty consistent for the 3rd day in a row.  No nervous nellies there.

That track thrill and delights me.  In a storm like that there will be a deformation band inland and I would bet the mid level lows are good for me Dendrite and Jeff and Eric.  So that inch of qpf could realistic be 1.5 in spots.  Great spot to be in 3 days out with a trend(?) to slow the kicker a bit.  We have room for it to come a bit west still but you are on the line down there.  Somehow I think it turns out good for all...6+ all the way to the coast ultimately.  WSW late tonight or tomorrow morn?

More confident in a system now...its looking pretty good. My fear of wide right is lessening. I really am not overly concerned about a west track. EC and ens are still the NW side of the envelope...and as scott mentioned, it would likely still be quite a bit of snow on the front end should even a Euro track verify.

Do not mind the Op Euro to be quite honest.  It can stay right where it is though.  :weenie:

If I had to pick where the storm ultimately tracks, I'd say 10-15mi inside the BM.

BOXs AFD this AM was good.  Spelled out the model differences.  The upstream kicker is critical.

1. MODEL TRACK AND UNCERTAINTY:

CONFIDENCE IS GROWING IN THE POTENTIAL FOR A SIGNIFICANT STORM LATE
WED NIGHT INTO THU...BUT CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY REMAINS WITH THE
TRACK/QPF AMOUNTS AND PTYPES. THE MODELS ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT
IN A MOISTURE LOADED SYSTEM EMERGING FROM THE GULF AND TRACKING
NORTHEAST...WHILE INTENSIFYING INTO A POWERFUL SYSTEM.
HOWEVER...THE MODEL TRACKS ARE QUITE DIFFERENT. THE 00Z UKMET/GGEM
TRACK THE STORM NEAR THE BENCHMARK...WHILE THE 00Z GFS IS SOUTHEAST
OF THE BENCHMARK. ON THE FLIP SIDE OF THE COIN THE NAM/ECMWF ARE
MUCH FURTHER WEST AND HAVE A COASTAL HUGGER. A LOOK AT THE GFS
ENSEMBLES INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS SHOWS A VERY WIDE RANGE OF POSSIBLE
SOLUTIONS...BUT MANY MEMBERS TEND TO BE WEST OF THE OPERATIONAL RUN.

THE REASON FOR THE LARGE DIFFERENCES IN THE MODEL TRACKS IS A PIECE
OF NORTHERN STREAM ENERGY. THE GFS OPERATIONAL MODEL MOVES THIS
SHORTWAVE FASTER AND FURTHER SOUTHEAST THAN THE OTHER MODELS.
THIS IS TURN FORCES THE COASTAL STORM FURTHER EAST. AT THIS
TIME...WERE FAVORING A TRACK SOMEWHERE BETWEEN OUTER-CAPE AND THE
BENCHMARK...NOT QUITE AS FAR WEST AS THE LATEST 00Z ECMWF/NAM...BUT
CLOSER TO THE COAST THAN THE GFS AND EVEN GGEM. LOW CONFIDENCE
THROUGH AND TRACK IS CERTAINLY SUBJECT TO CHANGE.

Do not mind the Op Euro to be quite honest.  It can stay right where it is though.  :weenie:

If I had to pick where the storm ultimately tracks, I'd say 10-15mi inside the BM.

BOXs AFD this AM was good.  Spelled out the model differences.  The upstream kicker is critical.

That kicker is why I've been so nervous abotu missing wide right...and why I think cutting this inland is unlikely.

That kicker is why I've been so nervous about missing wide right...and why I think cutting this inland is unlikely.

Same here, and I agree there is only so far West & North this thing will come before that kicker takes over.

I think the GFS is underplaying the QPF right now.  Looks rather paltry for a southern stream system.

THe whole evolution of this system is interesting.  Both the s/w and kicker originate from a closed ULL in the GOA.

So the non-GFS guidance has slowed the kicker?  Is that the trend?  Since I don't really understand the synoptics, is there any way that the kicker becomes helpful?  for example, it phases into the storm?

What impresses me the most, and gives me more hope that we don't miss wide right, is 1) a signal from a few days ago that this bends more northerly into the GOM instead of the ENE slide, and 2) the depth of the storm on ensembles, which implies a deep low that may tuck closer.

So the non-GFS guidance has slowed the kicker?  Is that the trend?  Since I don't really understand the synoptics, is there any way that the kicker becomes helpful?  for example, it phases into the storm?

What impresses me the most, and gives me more hope that we don't miss wide right, is 1) a signal from a few days ago that this bends more northerly into the GOM instead of the ENE slide, and 2) the depth of the storm on ensembles, which implies a deep low that may tuck closer.

See: CMC run with a 960s low pressure.

In case you missed, a couple pages back I showed some images of differences between the Euro and GFS with the kicker and why the low was tracking where it was as a result of that upstream positioning.

Archived