• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

Even the warm bias (at the surface) GGEM has a big thump of snow for BOS in the ptype algorithms. BOS would be a tough forecast on some of these, but I think 128 corridor and NW would be golden. Even independent of the insolation issue models sometiems have, I notice that they will often also try and modify the airmass too quickly when it becomes pinched off from the source region...that is what we are seeing here. The cold airmass over us currently gets pinched off from the source region once the southern stream bowling ball detaches from the N stream flow.

We'll see how those thermal profiles trend as we get closer, but I would expect them to tick colder if the track stays out near the BM or ACK. Obviously if we get a hugger, then that creates a new set of ptype issues that are seperate from the "modifying airmass" issue we are currently seeing on some guidance.

Yeah I agree and with the CF on the GFS near 128...I think that is a tell tale sign of temps sub 30F or something like that. There is just no way with a track even like the GGEM has that temps are getting warm that far inland.

What I did notice though was a warm tongue at 950 on the euro. That may play a factor somewhat over areas like interior CT, but details will change obviously.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I agree and with the CF on the GFS near 128...I think that is a tell tale sign of temps sub 30F or something like that. There is just no way with a track even like the GGEM has that temps are getting warm that far inland.

What I did notice though was a warm tongue at 950 on the euro. That may play a factor somewhat over areas like interior CT, but details will change obviously.

The Euro was def the furthest west track so if that came to fruition I'd expect a bit of a warm tongue at 950mb getting into those areas. My gut tells me the Euro is a bit too amped though given the synoptic pattern with the kicker and fairly progressive flow....but we'll find otu soon enough. Sometimes these southern streamers can juice up and get further NW than we think. OTOH, the kickers can often rear their heads later in the game and start inching the storm eastward.

The Euro was def the furthest west track so if that came to fruition I'd expect a bit of a warm tongue at 950mb getting into those areas. My gut tells me the Euro is a bit too amped though given the synoptic pattern with the kicker and fairly progressive flow....but we'll find otu soon enough. Sometimes these southern streamers can juice up and get further NW than we think. OTOH, the kickers can often rear their heads later in the game and start inching the storm eastward.

Euro was rather chilly even at BOS before it taints. The thing is, this is a rather cold airmass prior.  SUb 510 thicknesses that are rotting prior to the storm's arrival.

The warmth is definitely modeled to be below 850mb.  GFS and NAM are both warm

Some good QPF for you, but the spine is right on the line.

I can't see qpf, but I'm guessing a BM to Nova Scotia track is good for Maine and prob at least C/S NH...but not so good for N VT.

Yeah, steady as she goes this winter.  But that's how it is sometimes...get into a certain rut in December and sometimes its hard to come out of it.  Aside from getting lucky in that last one with some frontogenesis, the synoptic patterns just do not want to come together up here.  We've made our peace though and got our one warning event... this should be another big hit for SNE up into E.NE.  The follow up wave though interests me. 

I think that I exact revenge on the s shore for that January cirrus smoking fiasco.

I would say you were smoking CF exhaust more than cirrus since you weren't getting whiffed to be exact, lol. But anyway, I do agree that southeast areas look the least favorable at this point.

Could be a pine punisher in your area. I like where most of the guidance is at this stage for interior SNE...even the CP interior. Euro being a bit "uncomfortably west" at 84-96 hours last night is probably a good thing given it has tended to be a bit too phase-happy in that time frame.

We'll see what today brings, but I don't expect a big shift since that is not the Euro's M.O.

Archived