• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

It's certainly not an exact match, but this system is somewhat reminiscent of the 1/27/11 storm...bowling ball in the south trying to amplify up the eastern side of the longwave trough....just a question fo whether it gets kicked east before it can get here.

I do think this one at the moment looks a shade further west than that one...perhaps a more northerly push...but I'm always leery of a kicker system behind these.

That would not be good up here at all

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Euro has been quite consistent with the handling and the evolution of the southern stream energy.  Almost seems as if the GFS/NAM are actually starting to lean more towards in that regards...where we see a rapidly strengthening southern stream energy becoming negatively tilted rather quickly which will really help allow a track closer to the coast as opposed to off the coast.  

Now...the question is...how amped does it become?   

Of course track is the most critical part of this, And the second part is how far north it gets before it closes off and occludes

The Euro has been quite consistent with the handling and the evolution of the southern stream energy.  Almost seems as if the GFS/NAM are actually starting to lean more towards in that regards...where we see a rapidly strengthening southern stream energy becoming negatively tilted rather quickly which will really help allow a track closer to the coast as opposed to off the coast.  

Now...the question is...how amped does it become?   

Consistent - somewhat when viewed over the last 2 runs, but also if there's a glaring Achilles heel with the Euro it's energy buried in the sw.

Just food for thought.   What happened on this run of the NAM is the energy coming out of the sw is handled just differently enough that the entire process starts later allowing for a slightly further east track.

Like I said my hunch is the western tracks are going to be too far west and we'll see something that fits the overall trend of the systems this winter with that change coming in these runs now.

That's the problem that I have with this system. It really goes to town before it ever get here. I would like it to close off further north

I think the NAM though often times gets too closed happy in these situations...closes off systems too early.  Just a thought

Of course track is the most critical part of this, And the second part is how far north it gets before it closes off and occludes

Precisely! 

Consistent - somewhat when viewed over the last 2 runs, but also if there's a glaring Achilles heel with the Euro it's energy buried in the sw.

Just food for thought.   What happened on this run of the NAM is the energy coming out of the sw is handled just differently enough that the entire process starts later allowing for a slightly further east track.

Like I said my hunch is the western tracks are going to be too far west and we'll see something that fits the overall trend of the systems this winter with that change coming in these runs now.

Wasn't that corrected on the Euro a few years back with some of the latest updates?  

It's certainly not an exact match, but this system is somewhat reminiscent of the 1/27/11 storm...bowling ball in the south trying to amplify up the eastern side of the longwave trough....just a question fo whether it gets kicked east before it can get here.

I do think this one at the moment looks a shade further west than that one...perhaps a more northerly push...but I'm always leery of a kicker system behind these.

Holy grail, yeah and GFS puking all over itself fits the profile

NAM being the NAM ... it is a tad SE and weaker (definitely) in the mid levels, but this 12z run would provide for a purer snow threat for SE zones ... lighter NW as the extrapolation goes.  

The variation between the 00z to 06z to 12z is rather large.

JMHO through 84 it's mainly rain on the SE coast.  The BL is torched and it'll take some time for it to drop.  Track is nice, but there's a putrid airmass in advance on strong ocean winds and a retreating high pressure.

Again just verbatim on the NAM.   It doesn't look all that different from the 0z GGEM which was a really nice hit for interior SNE.  Steve, Will, Kevin would all get croaked on this run while areas east would fight the battle before heights collapse.

IDK...I don't really know how much further east this could really go.  I know there is that kicker but the models are really strengthening that southern stream energy and have it become quite negatively tilted.  This might become strong enough to the point to where that kicker doesn't have much of an influence at all.  The Euro actually seems to be handling this situation (up through now anyways) pretty consistently...looks like the GFS has even made some slight strides towards the Euro.  

EDIT:

By any further easterly meant more of an OTS type solution...not saying it can't track a bit further east

No one thinks this is going out to sea.

I could see it tracking near the outter cape, or even ACK.

Eh, I know you are all about the seasonal track, but srn stream systems can be different. I'd hold off on swinging from the rafters for now.

Who is swinging from the rafters? Or has that just become the term for "calling for no snow" lol?

I'm looking at it operationally and objectively this morning....and really like the 84-495 corridor axis in SNE for this one.

I would think e sne goes over to 35f rain fairly quickly w poor high positioning , maybe 495 to nw ri to wherever west holds BL cold for front end warning thump.

Im not sure 38f water temps help coastal areas

I'd think euro verbatim is like 2-4 bos metro than wash

Mpm crushing

Christian you have been down on this since the get go. Minimum its a hellacious front end dump.

RGEM is going to handle this interaction much differently than the 0z run.  Northern energy and in the south.   South is deeper/south, and the northern energy that was dumping into ND at 0z Wed ends up further NE by quite a bit.

It's kind of amazing how much of a difficult time the models are having with the upper energy this winter.  I've never seen it quite this bad run to run.

Who is swinging from the rafters? Or has that just become the term for "calling for no snow" lol?

I'm looking at it operationally and objectively this morning....and really like the 84-495 corridor axis in SNE for this one.

I sense your pessimism.  We'll see what the 12z brings, but I feel like NNE and areas like the Berks could do well here. If the euro is right, longitude almost matters more than latitude when it comes to SNE and points down the East Coast. Just speculation....I don't think the low can go further west than what the euro has..but who knows.

Christian you have been down on this since the get go. Minimum its a hellacious front end dump.

Stephen i think ur wrong

Minimum is nada

I am planning already to go to wawa for day

Antecedent airmass is crap, e/ene winds all day before precip arrives could torch BL for eastern areas. This is not negative , its unbiased and quite possible

I sense your pessimism. We'll see what the 12z brings, but I feel like NNE and areas like the Berks could do well here. If the euro is right, longitude almost matters more than latitude when it comes to SNE and points down the East Coast. Just speculation....I don't think the low can go further west than what the euro has..but who knows.

Well to be honest there's not a ton to be optimistic about up here except the one ECM run, is there? I mean it is what it is, not necessarily swinging from the rafters haha.

I sense your pessimism.  We'll see what the 12z brings, but I feel like NNE and areas like the Berks could do well here. If the euro is right, longitude almost matters more than latitude when it comes to SNE and points down the East Coast. Just speculation....I don't think the low can go further west than what the euro has..but who knows.

This reminds me of Feb 2001 a bit....a few different ones from that season, really...

Archived