• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Feb 13-15 modeled event increased confidence now.

Typhoon Tip

See: CMC run with a 960s low pressure.

In case you missed, a couple pages back I showed some images of differences between the Euro and GFS with the kicker and why the low was tracking where it was as a result of that upstream positioning.

Yes....so who to believe?  Probably the consistent Euro with other support.  

Do you think the CMC scenario is possible?  Another question.  I have noticed for a couple of days that the track and qpf field at HPC have show the slight bend back nne motion late in the storm.  Why is that?  Wouldn't a kicker tend to cause the hated ene motion as it nears the benchmark?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the non-GFS guidance has slowed the kicker?  Is that the trend?  Since I don't really understand the synoptics, is there any way that the kicker becomes helpful?  for example, it phases into the storm?

What impresses me the most, and gives me more hope that we don't miss wide right, is 1) a signal from a few days ago that this bends more northerly into the GOM instead of the ENE slide, and 2) the depth of the storm on ensembles, which implies a deep low that may tuck closer.

The most critical part of the whole forecast up here

Bay of Fundy or over Yarmouth Nova Scotia is preferable, This is where we get the shaft more often in these Miller A' ish events, This is where we need the kicker as far west as possible, SNE is "Always" in a good seat for these events

PVD to Boston to Bar Harbor to FVE if we are picking tracks, lol. Then cut off and spin NW flow for a day or so over "the county". Those are what we've been missing this season, haha.

PVD to Boston to Bar Harbor to FVE if we are picking tracks, lol. Then cut off and spin NW flow for a day or so over "the county". Those are what we've been missing this season, haha.

Going east is more likely then more west, Its the trajectory up the coast NNE or NE then ENE once it gets near the BM

IDK...I don't really know how much further east this could really go.  I know there is that kicker but the models are really strengthening that southern stream energy and have it become quite negatively tilted.  This might become strong enough to the point to where that kicker doesn't have much of an influence at all.  The Euro actually seems to be handling this situation (up through now anyways) pretty consistently...looks like the GFS has even made some slight strides towards the Euro.  

EDIT:

By any further easterly meant more of an OTS type solution...not saying it can't track a bit further east

This sucka has support and potential to be _ _ _ _ . It appears to be coming together, each passing model run reveals more of the puzzle. Oh the suspense...    

Each one of these storms has its own distinct, unique personality.  This one doesn't want to show its cards until the last minute.  The last storm announced itself days and days in advance.

Going east is more likely then more west, Its the trajectory up the coast NNE or NE then ENE once it gets near the BM

Oh yeah we don't have much of a shot up this way, as the seasonal tendency for easterly solutions moving off the coast continues...but for you guys over in Maine the movement from the benchmark is crucial. Usually when a system gets towards the benchmark, we are too far NW up here anyway.

Oh yeah we don't have much of a shot up this way, as the seasonal tendency for easterly solutions moving off the coast continues...but for you guys over in Maine the movement from the benchmark is crucial. Usually when a system gets towards the benchmark, we are too far NW up here anyway.

Eh, I know you are all about the seasonal track, but srn stream systems can be different. I'd hold off on swinging from the rafters for now.

IDK...I don't really know how much further east this could really go.  I know there is that kicker but the models are really strengthening that southern stream energy and have it become quite negatively tilted.  This might become strong enough to the point to where that kicker doesn't have much of an influence at all.  The Euro actually seems to be handling this situation (up through now anyways) pretty consistently...looks like the GFS has even made some slight strides towards the Euro.  

Good points Paul, Euro has been real steady handling this over the last several runs, The GFS slow to respond still sits in the back of my mind

It's certainly not an exact match, but this system is somewhat reminiscent of the 1/27/11 storm...bowling ball in the south trying to amplify up the eastern side of the longwave trough....just a question fo whether it gets kicked east before it can get here.

I do think this one at the moment looks a shade further west than that one...perhaps a more northerly push...but I'm always leery of a kicker system behind these.

Good points Paul, Euro has been real steady handling this over the last several runs, The GFS slow to respond still sits in the back of my mind

The Euro has been quite consistent with the handling and the evolution of the southern stream energy.  Almost seems as if the GFS/NAM are actually starting to lean more towards in that regards...where we see a rapidly strengthening southern stream energy becoming negatively tilted rather quickly which will really help allow a track closer to the coast as opposed to off the coast.  

Now...the question is...how amped does it become?   

Archived