• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

Not much Atlantic help on the means. If we get a block it will probably be a transient feature. But we've been lucky with those this year overall. I do like the amplified look and time of year. Even a ns vort can blow up with a sharp ridge/trough setup.

Everything seems to be pointing towards a -ao at least. Fun year for sure

Once the warmth is over the pattern is pretty much the one where we got our clipper type decent snows.  Probalby not a KU pattern unless we get a better Atlantic but one that can give us cold and might offer storm chances probalby mostly as clippers but with the potential to get a moderate type snow. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the warmth is over the pattern is pretty much the one where we got our clipper type decent snows. Probalby not a KU pattern unless we get a better Atlantic but one that can give us cold and might offer storm chances probalby mostly as clippers but with the potential to get a moderate type snow.

Sounds good to me Wes. With a nice warm spell on tap I'm just going to enjoy the warmth and casually observe the transition back to the window opening. I like energetic clippers. They be fun. And with fast flow we can have an active period and not a one and done if the axis is favorable

Before the big warmup, the NAM and GFS are both interesting for Monday night.   The high to the north is moving out fast, but the time of day seems to allow temperatures to be just cold enough for something other than rain.

Not unheard of to get a system like this before a major warm up. Could be a quick thump scenario if thing work out.

Once the warmth is over the pattern is pretty much the one where we got our clipper type decent snows.  Probalby not a KU pattern unless we get a better Atlantic but one that can give us cold and might offer storm chances probalby mostly as clippers but with the potential to get a moderate type snow. 

Have I ever mentioned that I love clippers?

I'm going to be pretty pissed if our warmup is muted by clouds and drizzle.

It's mid-Feb in a cold winter. :huh:

This isn't a flip to a subtropical ridge. It warms up because of a zonal flow across the country with Pacific air. Those are usually damp and cloudy. Guess you might have to wait another month for your sunny 60s.

It's mid-Feb in a cold winter. :huh:

This isn't a flip to a subtropical ridge. It warms up because of a zonal flow across the country with Pacific air. Those are usually damp and cloudy. Guess you might have to wait another month for your sunny 60s.

Just because it's been a cold winter doesn't mean one can't be pissed if a warmup gets beat back. Same goes for someone being disappointed if a place 30 miles away doubles their snowfall, even if climo argues for it. I'd like a nice warmup for a few days. We haven't had one nearly all winter, so it'd be nice to have a bit of a break before the pattern reloads at the end of the month.

I'm pretty sure we'll be tracking something between the 25th-1st too. Get your rest during the torch. Although the torch is kinda going to heck now. Cloudy/rainy now coming into play next weekend. Poor mg. He might blow a gasket.

I'm close. As long as people don't tell me what to think or how I should feel about a warmup being muted, I'll be OK.

I'm close. As long as people don't tell me what to think or how I should feel about a warmup being muted, I'll be OK.

Euro says Fri afternoon might be ok. Rain early but highs in the mid 60's. Weekend looks so-so for now. 50's but some cloudy/dreary time verbatim. Far from a washout though. I'm with you here. I want a day or 2 in the mid 60's. Would be nice. 

I'm pretty sure we'll be tracking something between the 25th-1st too. Get your rest during the torch. Although the torch is kinda going to heck now. Cloudy/rainy now coming into play next weekend. Poor mg. He might blow a gasket. 

agreed...euro is showing an event on the 24th-25th with a fresh air mass....all guidance is showing west ridging starting that last week.....get fresh air in here, a high in decent place and we can get front-ended with a mediocre track.....I'm going for a 2-4"+ event for last week of February...maybe even 2-24/25....and maybe 2 events...

agreed...euro is showing an event on the 24th-25th with a fresh air mass....all guidance is showing west ridging starting that last week.....get fresh air in here, a high in decent place and we can get front-ended with a mediocre track.....I'm going for a 2-4"+ event for last week of February...maybe even 2-24/25....and maybe 2 events...

Euro has a 2 wave idea in lala. First one nice into the fresh airmass. Next one on the heels is zr to rn. I know it's meaningless to split hairs but the setup is nice. Cold hp nosing into a frontal boundary draped to our south. Moisture riding along the boundary. Not a bad way to pad totals and totally believable given the pattern @ h5. Much to change but a nice example of how it could work out. Beyond looks like clipperville. But fast flow and no block means timing a vort. I have a hunch pattern goes variable into march. Just not seeing anything to slow things down. I'm in total #'s pad mode. I could care less if it melts or washes 24 hours after it falls. 

Euro has a 2 wave idea in lala. First one nice into the fresh airmass. Next one on the heels is zr to rn. I know it's meaningless to split hairs but the setup is nice. Cold hp nosing into a frontal boundary draped to our south. Moisture riding along the boundary. Not a bad way to pad totals and totally believable given the pattern @ h5. Much to change but a nice example of how it could work out. Beyond looks like clipperville. But fast flow and no block means timing a vort. I have a hunch pattern goes variable into march. Just not seeing anything to slow things down. I'm in total #'s pad mode. I could care less if it melts or washes 24 hours after it falls. 

I want to totally stats pad....plus I want another K/U.......Maybe we get another +NAO to -NAO achimbault event when the PNA breaks down which would probably be cold and drier...HM laid out this last cycle pretty well.....

Euro says Fri afternoon might be ok. Rain early but highs in the mid 60's. Weekend looks so-so for now. 50's but some cloudy/dreary time verbatim. Far from a washout though. I'm with you here. I want a day or 2 in the mid 60's. Would be nice.

We'll see, I guess. I'm not on tilt or anything - I just want some nice temps for a few days. If I get that, I'm OK with going into the freezer for a bit again. Wife's grandfather's funeral is at Arlington on Friday, so it'd be nice if he were sent off with some decent weather!

Also, my onion plants show up in a couple weeks, and I'd like to be able to plant them by around March 10. I just need to be able to get into some unfrozen, not-too-soggy ground - temps aren't a concern.

Just so we're cool, my post this morning wasn't meant to judge your feelings in any way. You live in a great area if you like warm and sunny days in winter. This season though hasn't fit with the typical DC area winter, and the upcoming pattern doesn't look to change that much, IMO.

Just so we're cool, my post this morning wasn't meant to judge your feelings in any way. You live in a great area if you like warm and sunny days in winter. This season though hasn't fit with the typical DC area winter, and the upcoming pattern doesn't look to change that much, IMO.

I like my winter warmups as much as anyone, just as I like snow as much as anyone I know (maybe aside from some folks on here!). Like you said, this is generally a good place to be if you like that.

We're cool. No worries! :thumbsup:

Archived