• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

Just stumbled upon why this winter has produced and current period remains favorable....we haven't seen the OLR 90 anomaly just east of the dateline (Wes' perfect spot if I recall) since 2/10, It's not as strong as in 2/10, but certainly strong enough.

Mitch, you might enjoy reading this. From WSI, goes into detail about OLR, recent Indian Ocean convection and some theories as to the nature of the high latitude ridging this season, why the MJO was not to be believed at times, and it use not as relevant, along with some recent insights into the current retrogression in the NE Pac  that is soon about to reverse and why.     

http://www.wsi.com/blog/energy/is-winter-over-sub-seasonal-u-s-temperature-outlook-for-the-front-half-of-march/

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Appreciate it. I spend less time than people think though. Once you know what you're looking for it literally takes less than 20 minutes to digest 2 suites. I'm sure Matt is similar. I can wake up an scan the 0z euro + ens and 6z gfs/gefs before I finish a cup of coffee.

I'm glad folks appreciate it on the board. I like voicing thoughts when things look ok but shut up pretty quick when it goes to hell. lol

The above is definitely true. Oddly enough, it wasn't even a pressure map that caught my eye on yesterday's 12z Euro. I was making my menu plan for the week and peeking at temperatures trying to pair warm weather food w/ the warmest days and looked ahead. Any time you see a gradient of 40 degrees in 150 miles, you know a storm almost HAS to be nearby. Needless to say, my interest was piqued and it took longer to finish my menu planning and grocery list than I intended.

It doesn't really explain it,  you want the OLR to be negative in the region where you are showing it is positive.  A negative OLR means the convection is located in that region. A positive one means there has been less convection than normal there.  

lol....they changed the colors on the maps!!!!

think I'm kidding? I saved this from back in 2/10

post-821-0-29220100-1392604661_thumb.png

Euro has a light event next Mon night into Tuesday. Weak wave running the boundary. 1-3" verbatim. Surface temps just good enough. Much to me resolved. Hinges on being on the right side of temps.

There is weak coastal development but well offshore. Ensembles sorta agree. A couple ind member show more significant snow during the d8-10 period. Hopefully things come into better focus by wed-thurs.

Euro has a light event next Mon night into Tuesday. Weak wave running the boundary. 1-3" verbatim. Surface temps just good enough. Much to me resolved. Hinges on being on the right side of temps.

There is weak coastal development but well offshore. Ensembles sorta agree. A couple ind member show more significant snow during the d8-10 period. Hopefully things come into better focus by wed-thurs.

GFS has a 6-8" event on 2/26...as you said we'll probably have no real clue until later this week..

GFS has a 6-8" event on 2/26...as you said we'll probably have no real clue until later this week..

Looks like a relatively similar setup to the last storm. Big cold hp dropping down and energy rounding the base. Gets going in TX and heads northeast. Looks like the cold comes in 2 pieces on the gfs. First one cools us down and the second one amplies everything. 

Hopefully the snowy analogs keep showing on the euro runs. CPC stuff hasn't been encouraging but I haven't looked at today yet. 

Looks like a relatively similar setup to the last storm. Big cold hp dropping down and energy rounding the base. Gets going in TX and heads northeast. Looks like the cold comes in 2 pieces on the gfs. First one cools us down and the second one amplies everything. 

Hopefully the snowy analogs keep showing on the euro runs. CPC stuff hasn't been encouraging but I haven't looked at today yet. 

just glancing at euro ensembles from last night, the top 2 analogs for the 6-10 day period were both snowstorms....one big and one moderate but had thundersnow

just glancing at euro ensembles from last night, the top 2 analogs for the 6-10 day period were both snowstorms....one big and one moderate but had thundersnow

Excellent. Hopefully it holds as we approach medium range. Looks like the favorable window will be relatively short. Not very impressive on the means after we get a couple days into March. Stupid nao. It's clearly not a year for any stable atlantic help. 

Excellent. Hopefully it holds as we approach medium range. Looks like the favorable window will be relatively short. Not very impressive on the means after we get a couple days into March. Stupid nao. It's clearly not a year for any stable atlantic help. 

yes...hate the idea of a reload during the last window of decent climo...MUST score 2/24 - 3/1

Looking more closely at the top 5 analogs for Euro ens, 3 of 5 had snowstorms...and a 4th had a 4" snowstorm just outside of the window..this would be the 2/22-2/26 period

Archived