• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

It's an interesting look on the means. Really amplified for a couple days. No atlantic help but I could see something happen on the bookends of wax/wane. I'm favoring the latter but very interested in early next week either way.

+PNA/-EPO look continues to show up strong last week of February...even with crappy Atlantic, I think shortened wavelengths decrease the chance of something cutting to our west if we have some dig and a southern stream

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of sneaky events, 3/9/96 was definitely sneaky if anyone remembers. Main storm exited the area then the front came through and a wave developed just south and overspread the region. Extremely cold by March standards and most people got 2-6 inches in the early morning hours. Pretty much an unforecasted event.

+PNA/-EPO look continues to show up strong last week of February...even with crappy Atlantic, I think shortened wavelengths decrease the chance of something cutting to our west if we have some dig and a southern stream

12z gefs members show just that. A lot of coastal solutions through the members. Few if any cutters. 2 signals. One in the mon-tues timeframe and then again on thurs-fri.

Speaking of sneaky events, 3/9/96 was definitely sneaky if anyone remembers. Main storm exited the area then the front came through and a wave developed just south and overspread the region. Extremely cold by March standards and most people got 2-6 inches in the early morning hours. Pretty much an unforecasted event.

one of my favorite events. I remember watching radar from Roa slowly building north and snow came in around midnight lasting till about 7am.

Euro looks great to me. Overruning wave signal and then coastal. Obviously verbatim it doesnt hit the cylinders but it a nice look. I can almost envision a pd2 type of storm with a 1-2 punch. Lol. Just weenieing out a little. Looking forward to ensembles.

If we really end up with a ridge extending up near the EPO region, some sort of storm in the 2/25/-3/1 range is a virtual lock....could be suppressed or timed poorly or weak, but we'll be tracking something

Euro looks great to me. Overruning wave signal and then coastal. Obviously verbatim it doesnt hit the cylinders but it a nice look. I can almost envision a pd2 type of storm with a 1-2 punch. Lol. Just weenieing out a little. Looking forward to ensembles.

Agreed. Another thing to look forward to down the line are the indications that an incredible height anomaly develops in in SE Canada, then further out we may get some under-cutting energy as well. Looks like phase change as well with NAO, end of the month and early March. 

Fascinating is the  pumping of heights from the developing the precip activity moving from the Indian Ocean to the East in time. If anything this should act to repeat the pattern of the rising heights, supported by the continuing warm pool in the NE Pacific. A rinse and repeat pattern. 

If we can get the Southern jet involvement/disturbances breaking through with new arctic air mass in place we could get a rare Mid Atlantic targeted SECS, maybe even more. It also appears that confluence this go around may be easier. 

Just a wag, it looks stormy and cold, as others have mentioned here late month into March. This March may indeed come in like a Lion! I just wonder about suppression, however given this year coming North may be the preferred track.    

Wow, just looked through the nh panels. That is one amplified look. 3 things we prob don't have to worry about is a cutter, miller b, or lack of cold. Exit stage right is a different story.

There are some insane temp departures d9-10 in the Midwest. I know it's overdone but there are -40

departures showing up. Sub zero readings as close by as pa and western md. Cross polar flow FTW.

I'm gonna get flack for this but, I'm done. Bring on the tornadoes and bendy palms.

I guess severe season is fun if you chase, which you/Ian/Ellinwood do. We suck more at severe than we do snow, ha. Storms with minimial lightning, no hail, 30mph gusts, and barely moderate rain that somehow always end up severe warned just don't cut it. ;)

Not that I don't enjoy each season for what it has to offer, including tstorms, but it's hard to get too jazzed about legit severe in this area.

I'm not well versed wirh severe. Does a -nao and backdoor coldfronts in mid/late march produce?

Ideally you'll have cold flood the whole system and keep north winds across the gulf etc.  A big fat stable intermountain or west coast ridge is also a plus. 

Archived