Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ggem actually looks like pd3 towards end of run

idk if I would agree with that analogy, but I'll take this 10 day precip map and cross my fingers

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?mod=gemglb&run=12&stn=PNMPR&hh=240&map=na&stn2=PNM&run2=12&mod2=gemglb&hh2=240&comp=1&fixhh=1〈=en

you can get temps, etc. by using the drop screen to the right of the word "MAP"

EDIT: those 850 temps are crazy for the end of FEB

http://meteocentre.com/models/explorateur.php?mod=gemglb&run=12&stn=TT850&hh=240&map=na&stn2=QQ500&run2=12&mod2=gemglb&hh2=240&comp=1&fixhh=1〈=en

Matt, the both globals are having a tough time figuring out what happens after things amplify next week. Look at the euro ens 5h anomalies d11-15. Run over run they are having a hard time resolving the pac. I'm not so sure having the goa low undercutting the pna/-epo ridge is that believable.

By d10 we have the ridge bridge back and the feature remains through the end of the period but the goa/west coast quickly goes to lower heights underneath it. Looks like a rush job in the npac on the means to me. I'm already looking forward to skipping through until thursday+ so we can get a clearer picture.

On a side note, the means are pretty wet here d11-15. About 1" precip from what I see. And another side note...control run has a nice snowstorm on march 1st....lol..

Matt, the both globals are having a tough time figuring out what happens after things amplify next week. Look at the euro ens 5h anomalies d11-15. Run over run they are having a hard time resolving the pac. I'm not so sure having the goa low undercutting the pna/-epo ridge is that believable.

By d10 we have the ridge bridge back and the feature remains through the end of the period but the goa/west coast quickly goes to lower heights underneath it. Looks like a rush job in the npac on the means to me. I'm already looking forward to skipping through until thursday+ so we can get a clearer picture.

On a side note, the means are pretty wet here d11-15. About 1" precip from what I see. And another side note...control run has a nice snowstorm on march 1st....lol..

same

look at the euro...lol...I can see why it had some big analogs...obviously the ensembles were not as nuts....split flow, massive +PNA/-EPO ridge, ridging over the Davis Straits...massive confluence...let's do it

test8.gif

same

look at the euro...lol...I can see why it had some big analogs...obviously the ensembles were not as nuts....split flow, massive +PNA/-EPO ridge, ridging over the Davis Straits...massive confluence...let's do it

18z gfs showing the monday possibilities. h5 is kinda crappy for amplification but it's just another run tossing a cookie.

After all the long tracks this year I'm not going to worry about the details of any op run for probably 3-4+ days. And even then I'm most interested in the Monday potential for now.

The only storm this year that had any type of longer lead resolution was the last one and only the euro latched on early. I vote no names ever and no threads outside of 4 days for any threat.

Euro weeklies say march remains variable. Pretty cold on the means for the conus. Centered more in the middle of.the country but nice -epo reload signal towards the end of.the first week of march. Early signs definitely not pointing towards a warm month here.

Eta: pv wobbles all over hudson and east the whole run. -nap showing up but east based. Not that there is much skills at these leads. Coldest air In the nh is over na the whole run.

Euro weeklies say march remains variable. Pretty cold on the means for the conus. Centered more in the middle of.the country but nice -epo reload signal towards the end of.the first week of march. Early signs definitely not pointing towards a warm month here.

Eta: pv wobbles all over hudson and east the whole run. -nap showing up but east based. Not that there is much skills at these leads. Coldest air In the nh is over na the whole run.

sounds like this

usT2mMonInd1.gif

Yea if we can get that PV a bit farther SE...

attachicon.gifdamngood.gif

Looking at hour 180, ECMWF and GFS are pretty much in sync with that system dropping down, both right near the Kansas/Missouri line. Need to wait another day or two to get to us here on the east coast with good resolution, and another several days before we're in good prediction range, but here's hoping to another good dumping!

The only storm this year that had any type of longer lead resolution was the last one and only the euro latched on early.

The Canadian had a pretty good grip on the last storm a week before the event -- I think a lot of people didn't believe it at the time.  I could be wrong, but I think UKMET wasn't far behind. The last storm wasn't as much about the Euro pulling ahead of the pack as it was about the GFS falling behind.  For some reason the GFS didn't really catch on until three hours after it started snowing.

Yeah, the Euro's been very good on track for the past several storms, though I've noticed with a lot of storms it seems a little light on the liquid precip side compared to what we actually get. Of course when you compare that to the NAM tending to over-do it on the precip...everything evens out!

Definitely liking the long term runs tonight! But not staying up for the new Euro - I'll catch it in the morning.

Still little resolution next week. Front comes through on Sunday and then it gets muddy. Looks like a possible weak wave across all guidance on mon-tues.

Wed-thurs has much more going for it. Overnight and morning ensembles are all pointing towards favorable amplification. PNA spike/-ao dip/nao trending neutral.

Euro ensembles show a lot of spread. The members aren't very bullish for d8-10 though.

CPC analogs have some events in d8+/d11+. Some include freezing rain. Not a big signal across the pool of analogs. However, late feb/early march 1980 is a top analog. This had a light event followed by well...you know...

Still little resolution next week. Front comes through on Sunday and then it gets muddy. Looks like a possible weak wave across all guidance on mon-tues.

Wed-thurs has much more going for it. Overnight and morning ensembles are all pointing towards favorable amplification. PNA spike/-ao dip/nao trending neutral.

Euro ensembles show a lot of spread. The members aren't very bullish for d8-10 though.

CPC analogs have some events in d8+/d11+. Some include freezing rain. Not a big signal across the pool of analogs. However, late feb/early march 1980 is a top analog. This had a light event followed by well...you know...

One of the best summers evar. 

The pattern is starting to look really rotten that 1st week of March, so would like to score 2/24 - 3/1

This is 2/26-2/28

The euro still looks the best (left)...Hoping that storm works out that keeps showing up on the 25th..I think cutting to our west would be unlikely...even if it phases early, there would probably be redevelopment pretty far south..as of now all the models showing a weakish 1-4" wave

test8.gif

Archived