joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't mean to fill the thread with too much technical talk, but the global state of AAM/tropical forcing best represents late Dec right now. It is no surprise that this warm-shot is coming with what has been unfolding in these other areas. Following the progression, we should be matched nicely to early Jan next week...there was a pretty nice storm 1/2-3, along with the cold then. :)

HM, overall setup reminds me of a colder version of Jan 17 1994....

Are you thinking this will morph into a setup like that? I don't really see the comparison, as it stands now, on the modeling. I think this may trend more similarly to the Jan 2-3, 2014 storm than Jan 17, 1994.

I don't mean to fill the thread with too much technical talk, but the global state of AAM/tropical forcing best represents late Dec right now. It is no surprise that this warm-shot is coming with what has been unfolding in these other areas. Following the progression, we should be matched nicely to early Jan next week...there was a pretty nice storm 1/2-3, along with the cold then. :)

HM, any correlation to the strong Kelvin wave pushing East in the Pacific, will it encourage the MJO to reach phase 8 this time ?

It is a very strong wave, some have mentioned the strongest in years,and a precursor to the development of El Nino  I have noticed as well in time lapse,  ocean temps off the coast of Western South American have recently started to rise.   

So I suppose you are expecting -35 to -40 degree departures?

Today's EURO showed more separation with the shortwave and incoming PV, kind of similar to the GFS run from yesterday that I posted on this thread. 

I am just commenting on the similarity with the western ridge & how there is a wave SE of an incoming ULL in Canada...If these maps don't look a little similar than maybe I'm in the wrong hobby idk.

Here is the 6z GFS from today;

post-8091-0-39879700-1392757786_thumb.gi

Jan 17 94

post-8091-0-38355300-1392757876_thumb.gi

EURO ens mean looks like definitely picked up on the storm threat, so I'm guessing some of the individuals will show the threat. 

Better on the means from last night. That's for sure. But the ensembles are still all over the place. Light precip on the 6 hourly panels from hr 168 to 204. There is little consensus about anything imo. 

Looks good leading into 168. Energy diving down further west of the op run and maybe hooking up with gulf moisture. But overall the run says who knows. 

Today's EURO showed more separation with the shortwave and incoming PV, kind of similar to the GFS run from yesterday that I posted on this thread. 

I am just commenting on the similarity with the western ridge & how there is a wave SE of an incoming ULL in Canada...If these maps don't look a little similar than maybe I'm in the wrong hobby idk.

Here is the 6z GFS from today;

attachicon.gifgfs180.gif

Jan 17 94

attachicon.gifjan944.gif

describing as a colder version was somewhat misleading as the source air mass in 1994 was much more anomalous...I dont think I am going to see a day with a 15 degree high and 0 degree low next week...

I cop to enjoying days like today and happy to chase the next big one. Might as well transition to spring with something interesting. What I do not want to chase are highs around 38 with nothing to show for it...

Yeah true. The sentiment I heard from everyone today was that they've had enough winter though. Sucks to be them I guess. ;)

Yeah true. The sentiment I heard from everyone today was that they've had enough winter though. Sucks to be them I guess. ;)

No doubt. The next transition to spring where it goes from cold to 60 straight days with highs in the 60s and 70s will be the first of my life...so I prefer to enjoy the transition and hope for March snow and then chase the gentle warmth unicorns through the end of May.

Then, I will pretend June - August are not happening...

Archived