• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February Medium/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

I travel more for work than i used too...i been dodging bullets for years...and planning trips around the models but I will be in Orlando March 2-5 and there isnt anything i can do about this.

I have never missed a snowstorm in DC except Nov and Dec 1989

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I travel more for work than i used too...i been dodging bullets for years...and planning trips around the models but I will be in Orlando March 2-5 and there isnt anything i can do about this.

I have never missed a snowstorm in DC except Nov and Dec 1989

Were you in South Carolina??

lol the annual March 4 HM storm. What time frame are you looking at:)?

Well, really, late Feb into early March looks favorable again to get both the cold and storms into the area. The stratosphere may favor another NAO response too, which I think I'm leaning towards. I want to see the EPS shift in that direction, though. Ultimately, the tropical Pacific--north Pacific connection should help the NAO out again I think.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes in the NWS 6/10 and 8/14 day forecasts today.  As of tomorrow, they both showed above normal temperatures and above normal precipitation.  The confidence is the 6-10 day forecast is unusually high (5 of 5). 

If their forecast doesn't change, Is there something you're seeing that they missed or vice versa.

... or are you really talking about the first week of March (day 15 and beyond)?

It'll be interesting to see if there are any changes in the NWS 6/10 and 8/14 day forecasts today.  As of tomorrow, they both showed above normal temperatures and above normal precipitation.  The confidence is the 6-10 day forecast is unusually high (5 of 5). 

If their forecast doesn't change, Is there something you're seeing that they missed or vice versa.

... or are you really talking about the first week of March (day 15 and beyond)?

D6-10 is basically a lock. And it looks pretty warm. We could have highs in the mid 60's next weekend. D8-14 includes some of the really warm days so on the means at this lead the d8-14 will likely average above normal. But a relatively abrupt cool down around the 24th-26th has decent support at long leads. We'll see how it goes. Ensembles have been showing this cooler period for a few days now and not backing down. 

D6-10 is basically a lock. And it looks pretty warm. We could have highs in the mid 60's next weekend. D8-14 includes some of the really warm days so on the means at this lead the d8-14 will likely average above normal. But a relatively abrupt cool down around the 24th-26th has decent support at long leads. We'll see how it goes. Ensembles have been showing this cooler period for a few days now and not backing down. 

That's what I'm looking for, a stretch of warmth next weekend. 

I'm in on the warmth too, Wes. Every active storm period has been followed by one this year. This is the first one I'm looking forward too. And it looks to get out of the way before the snow climo window closes. Wouldn't mind one more track/event before we can call it a wrap.

I'm 100% in this camp. This warmup will be our first good one since December, and it'll come at the perfect time - late enough to get real warmth in but early enough to allow for a window of opportunity on the back end.

Give us one last shot for a city and near-burb (and Wes) special and I'd be ready to call this winter a win.

LOL- euro weeklies reload the -epo in early march and have us below normal temp wise for the first 17 days of the month. -ao signal there too but not strong. Not that any feature can have a strong signal in 2-4 week range. -EPO signal is kinda strong though.

One more Archambault event to close out the season around my birthday (14th)? Beware the Ides of March?

LOL- euro weeklies reload the -epo in early march and have us below normal temp wise for the first 17 days of the month. -ao signal there too but not strong. Not that any feature can have a strong signal in 2-4 week range. -EPO signal is kinda strong though. 

Bob,how about the last week in FEB?

Bob,how about the last week in FEB?

Ensembles look cooler than normal and amplified. EC trough last 3-4 days of the month. But it comes on the heels of a torch so it's hard to say. We'll prob get poured on before the pattern change. Then it takes some time for things to go right. I really have no other thoughts other than we will move from a pattern that has a zero % chance of producing snow into one that will at least have enough cold around. Storm wise is anyone's guess. Keep an eye on the AO. Ensembles are trending neg down the line. 

Ensembles look cooler than normal and amplified. EC trough last 3-4 days of the month. But it comes on the heels of a torch so it's hard to say. We'll prob get poured on before the pattern change. Then it takes some time for things to go right. I really have no other thoughts other than we will move from a pattern that has a zero % chance of producing snow into one that will at least have enough cold around. Storm wise is anyone's guess. Keep an eye on the AO. Ensembles are trending neg down the line. 

thx!

Ji is going to love this one (an old joke from a long time ago) but...I'm seeing signs for another nor'easter/active period in early March. :P

Well, really, late Feb into early March looks favorable again to get both the cold and storms into the area. The stratosphere may favor another NAO response too, which I think I'm leaning towards. I want to see the EPS shift in that direction, though. Ultimately, the tropical Pacific--north Pacific connection should help the NAO out again I think.

There are a bunch of snowstorm showing up on analogs.....11-15 days looks cold with potentially a +PNA and -NAO...winter is far from over....looking forward to another KU that is an all snow event

There are a bunch of snowstorm showing up on analogs.....11-15 days looks cold with potentially a +PNA and -NAO...winter is far from over....looking forward to another KU that is an all snow event

I'm pretty optimistic about the prospect of a late season storm tbh. And not just because I'm always optimistic either. Clues are emerging every day that goes by. Our climo window really doesn't get bad until after March 10th or so. An early march +pna/-ao/-nao can be plenty cold here. I'm in.

I'm at 12.5 on they year, give me a 8 inch storm, slightly above climo and I'm 100% happy. 

Nice winter in that no real "dead" times-- where we waited for signals for the start of a pattern change. Yesterday was so close to epic, but not quite there. 10.5 is still a nice event. The deformation- well, Roanoke had 6-10 from it, we had 1-2. It happens. 

I'm pretty optimistic about the prospect of a late season storm tbh. And not just because I'm always optimistic either. Clues are emerging every day that goes by. Our climo window really doesn't get bad until after March 10th or so. An early march +pna/-ao/-nao can be plenty cold here. I'm in.

Game is on probably by the 25th...not sure about the Atlantic, but we should have a ridge in the west sometime during the last week of February and probably not a transient one...

Game is on probably by the 25th...not sure about the Atlantic, but we should have a ridge in the west sometime during the last week of February and probably not a transient one...

Not much Atlantic help on the means. If we get a block it will probably be a transient feature. But we've been lucky with those this year overall. I do like the amplified look and time of year. Even a ns vort can blow up with a sharp ridge/trough setup.

Everything seems to be pointing towards a -ao at least. Fun year for sure

Archived