joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the Nam at long range so for whatever it's worth it does have a better look on the 06Z compared to the 00Z and holds out hope that maybe south/eastern areas of our region could score more then just a few inches this weekend. At 500's the trailing energy digs more this run while the front running energy is positioned farther north over Norfolk. The slightly better interaction between the two is reflected on the surface maps, which instead of sending the low directly out to sea now drags a slightly stronger low farther north and closer to the coast before it heads out to sea. Think if we saw a little more dig and/or a slightly faster solution with the trailer or a slower progression with the lead that south/eastern sections might be somewhat happy with the outcome.

Hope you guys survived the storm okay! My house was without power for ~12hrs or so, wasn't home when it came back on. Ended up crashing at my parents further south with the kiddo. We had a lot of down branches in our yard yesterday, going to be a real pain to clean it all up.

hope you guys fared ok and those without power get it back soon.

Is there any chance of a warm up at all before march 1st or is outside sprint car racing season coming late this year to central pa?

Sutherland over on the Medium Range Discussion thread projects a more zonal flow the last 10 days of February.

12° this morning with a few flakes drifting down. Glad I finished up some shoveling as soon as I got home from work last night...stuff is like concrete now.

I wish I would have taken a core sample and melted it down this morning... I had almost 1.5" liquid from the sleet and freezing rain... it's the bad kind of concrete here where if you are not careful walking through the yard its easy to break an ankle if you break through the ice ontop the wrong way

Sutherland over on the Medium Range Discussion thread projects a more zonal flow the last 10 days of February.

Yeah, and how long that lasts depends on the SSW that is possible. Over on PhillyWx they've talked about it. 

I have a feeling people cancel winter prematurely this year, especially the public. Don S talked about the 16-22 time period as one to watch. Just imagine the flooding if we get a snowstorm, then a 4-5 days torch plus a rainstorm. Yikes. 

It's also interesting what Don talked about with the trough moving in as the wavelengths shorten. That could be a decent setup too. 

Overheard a cashier at Turkey Hill this morning tell a customer that we were going to get "more than 3 feet" this weekend. I almost did a facepalm while waiting in line. Where do people come up with this stuff?

Wait, I know where:

https://www.facebook.com/SsStormChasingAndForecastingTeam

Neighbor warned me about the storm this weekend where it would be measured in feet. I told her thanks for the heads up. :)

Neighbor warned me about the storm this weekend where it would be measured in feet. I told her thanks for the heads up. :)

Al Roker actually said that on Today on Monday when discussing the Monday snow and Tuesday night event... said there then could be a storm over the weekend measured not in inches but feet...

Wrote this on my Facebook page because so many people were asking about the weekend storm:

It appears that the weekend hype got so out of control that people STILL think there will be a big storm, even when respected meteorologists say the opposite. Basically, what it comes down to is that weather forecasting on Facebook is akin to that rumor that is started by a 9-year old in homeroom in the morning and by the end of the day the entire school is convinced there is going to be a blizzard. Remember, most of the maps you see on Facebook are computer generated, not a forecast made by an actual person. If you hear someone saying we are going to get "2 or 3 feet" this weekend, that is simply not true. It is hype and based on something that was generated DAYS ago. I'm talking to you, Al Roker.

Al Roker actually said that on Today on Monday when discussing the Monday snow and Tuesday night event... said there then could be a storm over the weekend measured not in inches but feet...

and everyone who heard that told a friend, co-worker and family this " Al Roker said there WOULD BE a storm this weekend measured in feet"

The GFS has a nice storm for SEPA and Northward for Valentines day still. Interesting evolution of how it came to fruition with a low placed into the Great Lakes during the same time period. Talk about threading a needle! This period has a muchhhh better chance of yielding a storm than the weekend, much to the kin of what you hear from Facebook experts  :rolleyes: . The problem with the run I see will be a low moving into the lakes and a departing High pressure system. I expect all models to be bouncing off their insane asylum walls before coming out of their shells to yield a solution, so best to just remain steadfast and watch the 500 mb evolution of the upcoming pattern next 3-4 days. I'm sure most already knew this, but you can never be so sure. 

OT: I wonder how many emails Al Roker will have in his email box on Monday morning?  ;)

the evolution of the storm next week on the GFS is very similar (more so at H5 then the surface) to the Feb 1972 storm.  That has been showing up as a top analog the last few days as well.  The lakes low was a bit more dominant then phased in completely in 1972 compared to what the GFS shows now, but its a very close match in terms of the overall setup and evolution.  It's very close to something big for our area.  Most of the time when it looks perfect at day 7 it turns to crap, I would rather a setup that looks ok  but flawed and hope as it evolves like we all know it will....that it changes in our favor this time. 

Archived