joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been flurrying here in pine grove last hour. Not heavy but huge fluffy flakes. The kind that give high ratios. My fear looking at radar is everything seems to be sliding north a bit and we might end up south of the initial band. That band in western pa will hit us but I'm also worried the ratios won't be as good as the thermal profiles shift a bit north today. From the flake type you can tell we are in the perfect snow growth region right now. Hopefully that doesn't end up to our north later.

I was just outside and saw the flurries, and you're right, good snow growth. Thing is, they've stopped for now, and we have almost a muted sun again. It's not supposed to start until after 2:00PM, so not worried...yet! ;)

Ok, apparently the GGEM is a MECS or better for the I-95 area.

Saved for posterity...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-02-09 at 12.22.37 PM.png

This should excite the NYC/New England weenies

Canadian is a nuclear bomb, sub 970 off the Jersey Coast and 961 passing over Cape Cod. I-95 storm though and only really gets a bit of southeastern PA. Track starts too far outside for us, off the SC and NC coasts, but ends up inside the benchmark...keeping coastal SNE and southeastern Mass rain and snow to rain in Boston. Need more of a track through SE VA to get us heavily involved. 

Canadian is a nuclear bomb, sub 970 off the Jersey Coast and 961 passing over Cape Cod. I-95 storm though and only really gets a bit of southeastern PA. Track starts too far outside for us, off the SC and NC coasts, but ends up inside the benchmark...keeping coastal SNE and southeastern Mass rain and snow to rain in Boston. Need more of a track through SE VA to get us heavily involved. 

Hopefully it moves closer. It is better than last night.

Ok, apparently the GGEM is a MECS or better for the I-95 area.

Saved for posterity...

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-02-09 at 12.22.37 PM.png

This should excite the NYC/New England weenies

I know way better than to go crazy over an often overdone GGEM run.

The kicker in the Midwest though is what might make this too far east for many of you guys.

I was just outside and saw the flurries, and you're right, good snow growth. Thing is, they've stopped for now, and we have almost a muted sun again. It's not supposed to start until after 2:00PM, so not worried...yet! ;)

We will get the band moving east over western PA right now, and at least about 1" from it...but the 2-4 is based on the idea of high ratios and I am skeptical since the thermal profiles are shifting north today and that area is likely to be the north of 80 once east of the Susquehanna.  We will see...some nice banding to our west right now.

Hopefully it moves closer. It is better than last night.

It is trending better, but the GGEM is disturbing to me because it shows something I have noticed that I feel is the biggest reason for the snow drought in the 81 region of eastern PA.  How does a storm track only 75 miles east of ACY at 965 mb and only get heavy precip west to Philly?  Historically a track inside the benchmark but sub 995 mb was a perfect 10"+ track for MDT to AVP.  Back towards UNV you want a track right along the coast or just inside.  But lately storms have been developing intense convective banding that cuts off moisture transport further west so the storm drops crazy intense snowfall right near the low but nothing inland.  Tracks that should produce big storms for east central PA no longer.  I have a theory it has something to do with warmer water.  The worst part is if the storm tracks just inland...we do not seem to get the same effect so if its just off the coast we miss the heavy snow to the east, but if it tracks just inside we go to rain.  Thus a lack of big snows in the 81 area compared to historically lately.  Just an observation and the 12zggem seems to show the same type of thing happening.  Hopefully euro holds with a good solution for inland PA.

It is trending better, but the GGEM is disturbing to me because it shows something I have noticed that I feel is the biggest reason for the snow drought in the 81 region of eastern PA.  How does a storm track only 75 miles east of ACY at 965 mb and only get heavy precip west to Philly?  Historically a track inside the benchmark but sub 995 mb was a perfect 10"+ track for MDT to AVP.  Back towards UNV you want a track right along the coast or just inside.  But lately storms have been developing intense convective banding that cuts off moisture transport further west so the storm drops crazy intense snowfall right near the low but nothing inland.  Tracks that should produce big storms for east central PA no longer.  I have a theory it has something to do with warmer water.  The worst part is if the storm tracks just inland...we do not seem to get the same effect so if its just off the coast we miss the heavy snow to the east, but if it tracks just inside we go to rain.  Thus a lack of big snows in the 81 area compared to historically lately.  Just an observation and the 12zggem seems to show the same type of thing happening.  Hopefully euro holds with a good solution for inland PA.

I think you need to alter this to I-81 from Harrisburg south. Look at the storm maps page on the weather.gov CTP and you'll see what I mean.

Archived