joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you need to alter this to I-81 from Harrisburg south. Look at the storm maps page on the weather.gov CTP and you'll see what I mean.

I would edit that to 81 from Hazleton south.  The poconos have been hit good lately but once south of there seems a lack of big snows lately compared to historically.  Most importantly there were some storms where the track would suggest this area should have got hit good, but the precip shield was more tightly would then normal. 

Euro is still the furthest into PA with precip, getting some precip into southern and eastern PA and decent precip for places like Lancaster and maybe up into Harrisburg somewhat. Positioning of the low just off the VA Beach coast at 96 is acceptable but like the Canadian the low develops and tracks along the SC/NC coasts.

Euro is still the furthest into PA with precip, getting some precip into southern and eastern PA and decent precip for places like Lancaster and maybe up into Harrisburg somewhat. Positioning of the low just off the VA Beach coast at 96 is acceptable but like the Canadian the low develops and tracks along the SC/NC coasts.

We've seen this show before.

Anyway, at least the snow now is looking good.

really nice banding showing up over central PA.  Hope that holds together.

Regarding the wed event, its not as bad as some were leading to believe for east central PA.  Gets about .5 qpf back towards MDT.  Disturbing thing is it shows a similar but not as bad depiction as the GGEM with a very intense tightly wound band of precip right near the low along the coast then only lighter precip west of there in places that should probably get better qpf based only on the slp track.

Regarding the wed event, its not as bad as some were leading to believe for east central PA.  Gets about .5 qpf back towards MDT.  Disturbing thing is it shows a similar but not as bad depiction as the GGEM with a very intense tightly wound band of precip right near the low along the coast then only lighter precip west of there in places that should probably get better qpf based only on the slp track.

Ggem/jma/euro all have that tight precip & wound up look, nj on western fringe of jma

The kicker over the Midwest is inhibiting how much precip makes it west into PA. The 500mb low closes off, which makes for a comma head heavy snow band, but the kicker being so close by keeps that from spreading very far west.

The kicker over the Midwest is inhibiting how much precip makes it west into PA. The 500mb low closes off, which makes for a comma head heavy snow band, but the kicker being so close by keeps that from spreading very far west.

ehh I was just looking at the 700 mb to see where the confluent flow from that is and I see the kicker but the confluence seems far enough west not to inhibit precip into PA.  UNV to Pitt maybe but MDT and AVP are well east of the influence of the kicker.  The problem to me seems more likely the effect of sinking air to the west of such an intense convective band.  When you get a convective band like that  you end up with a small area of 20" plus instead of a big area of 10" plus.  Lately we have been having more of those tightly wound convective type systems and thus bigger storms for coastal areas and not as much for inland. 

ehh I was just looking at the 700 mb to see where the confluent flow from that is and I see the kicker but the confluence seems far enough west not to inhibit precip into PA.  UNV to Pitt maybe but MDT and AVP are well east of the influence of the kicker.  The problem to me seems more likely the effect of sinking air to the west of such an intense convective band.  When you get a convective band like that  you end up with a small area of 20" plus instead of a big area of 10" plus.  Lately we have been having more of those tightly wound convective type systems and thus bigger storms for coastal areas and not as much for inland. 

That's true too. Way back when in the 1990s, I remember there being a lot more favorable storms for the PA/NY crew. I remember how crippling the March 1993, March 1994, November 1995, etc storms were and wanting to live there while it was slop or rain where I was. Times have changed I guess.

That's true too. Way back when in the 1990s, I remember there being a lot more favorable storms for the PA/NY crew. I remember how crippling the March 1993, March 1994, November 1995, etc storms were and wanting to live there while it was slop or rain where I was. Times have changed I guess.

I suspect the warmer waters in the atl lately have something to do with it.  Increasing convection around the low and thus getting a more intense but also more tightly wound system.  SNow much closer to the low then historically also...tracks that "should" be rain in NYC have been snow a lot lately also due to heavy convective banding dynamically cooling the column.  JB had a video this morning that highlights this point...talking about the perfect track for UNV being right over ACY.  Well if MDT and along 81 is about 50-70 miles east of there...then the perfect track for this area should be 50-75 miles east of ACY.  Lately that track has bombed 95 though and not much gets back here.  We will see if this week is another example of this.  Its still several days away so I am not too worried yet but its a disturbing trend for sure. 

For posterity, this was posted over on FB. If it doesn't belong, Pennman can take it down, but the 12z euro depiction is a classic I-95 onslaught once again. I think PSUHoffman is really on to something. It does seem as if lately, prefect tracks DO NOT usually equate to a "perfect storm" for I-81.

post-317-0-68630300-1391973746_thumb.jpg

For posterity, this was posted over on FB. If it doesn't belong, Pennman can take it down, but the 12z euro depiction is a classic I-95 onslaught once again. I think PSUHoffman is really on to something. It does seem as if lately, prefect tracks DO NOT usually equate to a "perfect storm" for I-81.

attachicon.gif1506526_645394705507791_264618004_n.jpg

Not bad still pushes 1 to 3 back to UNV.

attachicon.gif1506526_645394705507791_264618004_n.jpg

Haha Atlanta better be prepared this time according to that. 

I had a huge post ready with historical data to back it up about central PA snows...both for UNV area and MDT area that showed this...then my damn cpu had a hicup and I lost it.  I am putting it back together again since I still have all the raw data and stuff just have to put the presentation back then post it to my fb blog and I will link it here for those that want to see it.  Now the EC is not so bad, I would take .45 qpf, and probably 5-6" of snow in a heartbeat but that track should be 10" for this area.  We will see how it plays out. 

Yikes...I didn't even look at the south. That city will be shut down for a week if that happens. :lol:

In reality though, the accumulations depicted by the 12z down in Virginia and the Carolinas is indicative of what we used to see up here from such a storm. A broad area of 10 inch plus amounts.Not so much anymore, as PSU is alluding to.

Yea, don't be fooled guys, A LOT of us never really ever do well from those. A few times we did well with coastals, but generally they are just good at keeping you up late for 0z runs and praying for shilfts west that are technically impossible because of kicker systems. For today's storm snowing pretty good out everything is covered.

I would rather take my chances with an off shore track then an inland track any day here in Lancaster.

Still got 20" from the 93 storm but a lot of it fella as sleet or snow/sleet mixture.

I don't remember any sleet with that one. I lived in Eastern York Co then mabey the line was east of there. Some of the worst drifting I could remember.

Archived