• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

A good track for you guys would be through or just west of about Norfolk, VA and through the Chesapeake Bay.

The perfect SLP track is dependent on the type of system.  I did a lot of research on storms that produce 10"+ for central PA and found that if it is a pure coastal miller A then yes we need an inside runner, but if it has a double low structure, or inverted trough, or a miller b where the primary gets into KY north first...then the track along the coast is not as important as the H5 track.  It just depends, way more variables then just the SLP track to consider. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was excited to get 2" or so to freshen up the snowpack but the last 3 runs have really cut back on QPF tomorrow.  Starting to think its a mostly non event.  The northern stream is just a mess right now, ejecting vorts every few hours in peices not allowing anything to dig or amp at all.  Tomorrow seems again the vort is strung out and splitting instead of consolidated so nothing is able to get going and focus lift.  Just a mess...we need one good vort to dig a bit to get anything of significance to develop in this pattern. 

I was excited to get 2" or so to freshen up the snowpack but the last 3 runs have really cut back on QPF tomorrow.  Starting to think its a mostly non event.  The northern stream is just a mess right now, ejecting vorts every few hours in peices not allowing anything to dig or amp at all.  Tomorrow seems again the vort is strung out and splitting instead of consolidated so nothing is able to get going and focus lift.  Just a mess...we need one good vort to dig a bit to get anything of significance to develop in this pattern. 

Hasn't for UNV.

GFS 12/18/00Z - .16/.13/.17

NAM 12/18/00Z - .17/.15/.14

More or less the same. Around 2" with the expected 14:1-15:1 ratios the NWS is talking.

Hasn't for UNV.

I was looking more for east central pa i81 area. Nam gfs and rgem have really cut back on qpf for this area last 3 runs. The avg on all 3 has gone from around .25 to .15 to .1 last 3 runs. True central pa west does ok but east if there seems things die as the energy seems to split instead of holding together. It's totally killed anything for the NYC east area also.

More or less the same. Around 2" with the expected 14:1-15:1 ratios the NWS is talking.

omg dat euro

I'm not buying anything though. We all know what the trend has been.

Oh my, you couldn't track it any better than that for the UNV gang. Canadian and GFS still well southeast, plenty of time to reel this storm in though. There is the other trend of our storms showing up late on the models this year. 

Hasn't for UNV.

I was looking more for east central pa i81 area. Nam gfs and rgem have really cut back on qpf for this area last 3 runs. The avg on all 3 has gone from around .25 to .15 to .1 last 3 runs. True central pa west does ok but east if there seems things die as the energy seems to split instead of holding together. It's totally killed anything for the NYC east area also.

Ugh, that sucks. A good sign from this am is we didn't lose anything to dry air. Started snowing here a bit ago as soon as the radar returns were over us. Have a dusting.

omg dat euro

I'm not buying anything though. We all know what the trend has been.

Oh my, you couldn't track it any better than that for the UNV gang. Canadian and GFS still well southeast, plenty of time to reel this storm in though. There is the other trend of our storms showing up late on the models this year. 

Yeah, that's what I'm worried a bit about don't go any further north dammit!

This Thursday event has piqued my interest. The EURO has support from its own ensembles who have the storm a little east of the operational. Other globals do have the storm but not as far west. The 06z GFS was certainly a big jump west from the 00z, although there are no ensemble runs as of yet that look like the 00z EURO run. 

As always, 12z runs will be interesting...

Looking over the CIP's analogs brings up a few heavy hitters for Wed/Thur but only one that substantially impacted central PA. Jan 22, 1987 which was a widespread east coast storm with quite an extensive 12+ inch snow fall. The comparables at 500's are pretty rough for most of the analog storms though, with the 1987 storm coming in last at 15th on the list with a .487 rating.

Maybe you could help out as there isn't much info there, but do you have euro maps that include wpa?

This Thursday event has piqued my interest. The EURO has support from its own ensembles who have the storm a little east of the operational. Other globals do have the storm but not as far west. The 06z GFS was certainly a big jump west from the 00z, although there are no ensemble runs as of yet that look like the 00z EURO run.

As always, 12z runs will be interesting...

Wonder how that translates for us on the other side of the mountains. NWS has us in the 2-4 range.

Been flurrying here in pine grove last hour. Not heavy but huge fluffy flakes. The kind that give high ratios. My fear looking at radar is everything seems to be sliding north a bit and we might end up south of the initial band. That band in western pa will hit us but I'm also worried the ratios won't be as good as the thermal profiles shift a bit north today. From the flake type you can tell we are in the perfect snow growth region right now. Hopefully that doesn't end up to our north later.

Been flurrying here in pine grove last hour. Not heavy but huge fluffy flakes. The kind that give high ratios. My fear looking at radar is everything seems to be sliding north a bit and we might end up south of the initial band. That band in western pa will hit us but I'm also worried the ratios won't be as good as the thermal profiles shift a bit north today. From the flake type you can tell we are in the perfect snow growth region right now. Hopefully that doesn't end up to our north later.

Clipper drying out alert flurries and sun here.

Keep in mind this really isn't supposed to start in earnest for us until this afternoon. The northern counties are getting bonus snow.

The radar presentation of this is pretty good, nice heavy bands and snow back to the western edge of OH.

Archived