• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Central PA & The Fringes - February 2014 III

PennMan

Once again the GFS has the GL low affect the run. Until that feature is completely gone from the GFS or at least held further back, nothing will be set in stone. Very interesting runs coming next 24-36 hours. I'd say by tomorrow night with sampling of all major players on the field we'll start to get a better idea

We need that GL low completely gone to have any chance I think...any influence and it's an I-95 storm at best.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be okay if it was deep in the pages of some forum, but people don't know better nowadays. One of the reasons why I'm not a huge fan of social media. 

I very rarely use social media except twitter to follow sports news and gaming news. I don't do FB at all. People are so out of touch with understanding weather, they become drones and will believe anything anyone tells them that sounds accurate. I tell people all the time how the weather is going to be and they'll come back at me with, "Well I heard from some guy on FB..." I stop them right there and tell them that just because some guy says one thing it's going to happen. Get your information from the National weather service. They might be a pain to us because of how slow they can be to pull the trigger, but at least they are very knowledgeable and trust worthy source of information. I would rather people follow NWS and have them be slightly off with the weather then someone who consistently goes all apocalyptic on us for every event. It really is sad. One of the best meteorologists to follow for the Mid-Atlantic imo has been Justin Berk. He has been spot on this winter and his quick analysis is easy for the public to understand and he explains himself very well into terms people can grasp on to. He is not doom and gloom, but very up beat and actually responds to people in a civil matter unlike DT from Virginia.

I love this forum because there are actual meteorologists on here that give their synopsis in a more technical way which is what I'm trying to learn as a met major at Millersville. I'm really starting to grasp key elements better and I'm very thankful for some of the stuff I have learned on American (heavy_wx does make my head spin sometimes on how much he knows. Well done  :) ).

Well, the Canadian looks a bit more reasonable being approximately 30 mb weaker than the 12z run as it's passing off the Jersey coast. A little bit further NW with precip into PA but only really gets it into parts of the LSV (mainly south of Harrisburg). Tracks just off the coast from SC to the benchmark. 

Mag whats it look like for us here near Altoona?

Looked like at least a half to 3/4" QPF for Altoona.. prob at least a half inch for UNV, I'll know here in a sec when text data on Accupro gets there. But I have seen the initial maps already, its a big one on the Euro for south central and eastern PA. 

Totals per region

True Central

UNV - 0.62"

AOO - 0.93"

JST - 0.71"

IPT - 0.69"

FIG - 0.3"

LSV gang

MDT - 1.83"

LNS - 1.92"

THV - 2.12"

Pittsburgh gang

PIT - <0.1"

LBE - 0.48"

AGC (Allegheny Co Airport) - 0.21"

Northeast

AVP - 1.17

MPO (Mount Pocono) - 1.3"

Ok, now you have my full attention! KU - check!

I'm just playing a wait and see game here. I don't think anything is on or off the table at this point...except for that crazy 1993 redux article. Now that was ridiculous. Personally, I think anything from an LSV/I-81 special to a glancing blow is certainly within the realm of possibilities at this point.

Totals per region

True Central

UNV - 0.62"

AOO - 0.93"

JST - 0.71"

IPT - 0.69"

FIG - 0.3"

LSV gang

MDT - 1.83"

LNS - 1.92"

THV - 2.12"

Pittsburgh gang

PIT - <0.1"

LBE - 0.48"

AGC (Allegheny Co Airport) - 0.21"

Northeast

AVP - 1.17

MPO (Mount Pocono) - 1.3"

The CCB look on the Euro run is just beautiful.

Don't look at Mount Holly's preliminary snow map if you're an I-95 snow hater...lol

Of course they are disclamering the hell out of it as being very preliminary, and that it's based on current model guidance, AND that it will likely be adjusted between now and the actual event, but....

Archived