amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Monday Mauler Obs Thread

Avdave

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Out of curiosity, what's your elevation?

Seems like if you're in far northern MD or southern PA, the higher the elevation, the less that compaction was a problem.

I sit at exactly 860 ft. The ridge behind my house goes up to about 1060 ft. In marginal icing situations I can see the trees on the ridge iced up while the trees near my house are just wet. Had some compaction today but not as bad as I thought it would be with these borderline temps.

Just went on a mini chase -- I left around 10:45 and took off up I-270. Rain/sleet became snow just 10 miles up, and by Frederick there was about 2" or so. I waffled on going north on 15 or west on I-70, and I picked west. The snow amounts really picked up as I headed towards Hagerstown. I decided to pull into that South Mountain rest stop to walk around and take a few pics. It was nice with 4-5" on the ground and snowing moderately with big flakes.

One thing I noticed coming home -- just THREE miles east of the rest stop, the snow dropped suddenly to only an inch or two, then picked back up to looking like 4" a couple miles further east. Mountain shadow effect?

Anyway, now I know a good spot to see snow just 33 miles away when I miss closely, which happens A LOT. I seem to be just over the wrong side of a boundary in these events. Coming back down I-270 was funny watching the ground go from white to almost bare in just minutes.

Your boss called and was asking where you were. He sounded pissed, dude.

I have lived here a long time and it has never been like this.  There is nothing special about this area snow wise other then we generally get a couple inches more in storms because we are colder, or we nickle an inch or two in marginal events.  This winter is on its own with this brutal gradient business.  It's almost like living in a Lake effect region or something.  All the precip has just centered across this zone, be it rain or snow this season.   

33/32 and still a bit of light snow falling. 

Just went out and cleared off the driveway. I think I cleared off about 5 gallons of water. I am glad most of it had started to melt as with compression there was only about 1/4" on it. That was the heaviest snow I have dealt with in quite a while. Kind of glad it was not the 5-9" that was projected. 

I have lived here a long time and it has never been like this.  There is nothing special about this area snow wise other then we generally get a couple inches more in storms because we are colder, or we nickle an inch or two in marginal events.  This winter is on its own with this brutal gradient business.  It's almost like living in a Lake effect region or something.  All the precip has just centered across this zone, be it rain or snow this season.   

Either you are a troll and don't care what anyone thinks or you really are pretty tone-deaf. LOL

Archived