northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Spring is here: Pics and happy talk stuff

Ian

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I am now ready for Spring! This Winter has been a long one, with an early December snowstorm, and now an early March storm.

I am looking forward to watching for severe t-storms that never hit, and tracking hurricanes that never form. At least the Summers here aren't hot and humid... Oh wait, I forgot... they suck.

I found some great 2014 Hurricane Season information, but I didn't know where to post. I'll post here, but feel free to delete. Apparently, this private forecasting company predicted Hurricane Sandy two years prior to the 2012 season. They are forecasting a strong season, with plenty of threats.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11492804.htm

Euro ens suggest a mini-torch (or at least a warm spell) sunday-wed. Cold after that though but I'm looking forward to some warm temps and nuclear sun angle.

Just checked out the 12z EPS. Did you see the spread in max 2m temps across the ensembles? Large spread for next week's cold but majority of members are below normal. Hopefully the mid 60s verify.

I believe I am now ready for Spring! This Winter has been a long one, with an early December snowstorm, and now an early March storm.

I am looking forward to watching for severe t-storms that never hit, and tracking hurricanes that never form. At least the Summers here aren't hot and humid... Oh wait, I forgot... they suck.

Lol! I'm with you bro.

I found some great 2014 Hurricane Season information, but I didn't know where to post. I'll post here, but feel free to delete. Apparently, this private forecasting company predicted Hurricane Sandy two years prior to the 2012 season. They are forecasting a strong season, with plenty of threats.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/01/prweb11492804.htm

El Nino FTL.

I've seen stats out the ying-yang here wrt nino and snow, but don't recall any similar comparison wrt summer heat. Assuming we get a nino, what does that portend for the summer? On the surface, I'd assume (hope like hell) that could mean a wetter (hence, cooler) summer pattern here.

This summer won't matter much. Enso is prog'd to build through the summer but not even get much above .5 - 1.0 in 3.4 through the season as it stands now. Signal is weak at best. Summer pattern will be dominated by other oscillations. AMO is pretty interesting as it has blipped and there's some cold water in the north atlantic. Likely a transient feature but worth noting. It's hard to bet against continued variability with periods of warm/cool for the foreseeable future. It will break sometime soon but that's a wag and it's been incredibly persistent for a long time now.

The larger effect in nino summers are crappy tropical seasons because wind patterns tend to shear out developing waves. IIRC the pac nw is wetter than average in nino summers but the overall effects here aren't very significant.

I want snow for as long as possible. I will never tire of it. I hope the cherry blossoms are ruined.

Not nice to wish economic disaster on our fine little city. 

Archived