12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Spring is here: Pics and happy talk stuff

Ian

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One reason I'm so ready is that we haven't really had a lengthy warm up for a long time, especially once it got quite cold. I could go for an extended period of 50+, with a couple 60s thrown in for good measure.

Hopefully we don't get a big March -AO and plenty if cold rain to delay the inevitable coming of beautiful spring weather.

One reason I'm so ready is that we haven't really had a lengthy warm up for a long time, especially once it got quite cold. I could go for an extended period of 50+, with a couple 60s thrown in for good measure.

We had a pretty lengthy January thaw in the middle of the month, and an almost summerlike torch just before Christmas. The idea that this whole winter has had wall to wall, nonstop cold is a myth. This winter hasn't even been that cold in DC... maybe a -0.5°F temp departure for the season to date.

I wouldn't mind a warmup at the end of Feb if we get a few good storms before that, but wasting our peak snow climo on 50s? hell no.

We had a pretty lengthy January thaw in the middle of the month, and an almost summerlike torch just before Christmas. The idea that this whole winter has had wall to wall, nonstop cold is a myth. This winter hasn't even been that cold in DC... maybe a -0.5°F temp departure for the season to date.

I wouldn't mind a warmup at the end of Feb if we get a few good storms before that, but wasting our peak snow climo on 50s? hell no.

I didn't claim that we've had wall-to-wall cold this winter, but it's been primarily cold. Take out the torch days in December and it's been much, much colder than the bogus -.5F statistic shows.

I've had five days of 50+ in January, and no 60s. And most of those 50s have been low- to mid-50s. As for the thaw in the middle of the month, that was three days barely in the 50s preceded by some of the coldest weather we've seen in years. That stretch before Christmas was great - I'll give you that. But, as I said, we haven't had an extended warmup in sone time.

Fozz, should have checked the stats instead of going on your gut. Combined, the months of DEC & JAN at the 3 airports of DCA, IAD and BWI are -1.2, -3.4 and -2.6 respectively.

If it's not going to snow winter can end at this point.. days of 30s is the last thing I want now. 

I like snow in Feb and Spring to start promptly on March 1. Thank you weather gods for this consideration.

I can't agree more. I want snow as much as the next person, but if it ain't going to happen then let's move on. Bring on the severe!

Red-winged blackbirds were out in force around their usual territory during and after the 1/21 storm but have become more unobtrusive again. They're here year-round but start to stake out their nests/make racket around early Feb. I believe. Maybe not quite there yet, but have to think of spring when you hear that song. I am solidly pro-winter and snow chances as long as we can but the early signs are interesting.

I always think of the 1st of February for the return of the Red-winged blackbirds, Starlings and the Grackles. They congregate in the trees by the hundreds (sometimes 1000's) and cover my yard when the ground softens and is wet, like after a snowfall begins to melt. AND they devour the sunflower seed! But it's just a few weeks before the House finches begin to sing incessantly. THAT's spring.

the impression most lay people that i know have of this winter is that it's been one of the coldest in recent memory. however, lay people are generally pretty dumb when it comes to climatology.

but it's certainly given most in our area the feeling that this winter has been cold...cold unlike most winters of the last 10-15 years...cold and snowless south of prince william county. spring--anytime now--will be welcomed. 

the jan thaw was bootleg. no mid 60's + less than 4 days in length + no early tree budding = bootleg thaw for this area.  

we reached 10.5 hours day length and gained 130 seconds of sunlight today (and tomorrow)! 

I am enjoying the lengthening days and higher sun of February.  The driveway melts and drys much easier now.  BTW, a couple of evergreens next to my driveway that shaded it have lost mucho branches in the ice storm...that too adds to the melting factor of the driveway.

the impression most lay people that i know have of this winter is that it's been one of the coldest in recent memory. however, lay people are generally pretty dumb when it comes to climatology.

but it's certainly given most in our area the feeling that this winter has been cold...cold unlike most winters of the last 10-15 years...cold and snowless south of prince william county. spring--anytime now--will be welcomed.

the jan thaw was bootleg. no mid 60's + less than 4 days in length + no early tree budding = bootleg thaw for this area.

we reached 10.5 hours day length and gained 130 seconds of sunlight today (and tomorrow)!

It's been cold this winter.

a thaw doesn't have to be a raging torch. 50+ especially for several days is pretty springlike

I still have a couple of inches of concrete snow and ice cover, haven't hit 40 since last weekend, and my point and click forecast says a low of 5 Monday night and 0 on Tuesday night. Spring couldn't be farther from my mind.

That said, I anticipate a gloomy spring with a fair number of chilly days. Has the feel of a year where the heat doesn't come until late April/ May.

It's official.

I am ready for an early spring.

I finally learned my lesson. We will have lots of rain and qpf when it is mild. All of our storms will be moisture starved when it is cold enough to snow.

There is always next winter.

We need a pattern with blocking. This aint it.

So what we need is an early spring, a semipermanent upper level ridge with highs in the 70s and 80s and the chance for thunderstorms. Maybe even a few highs in the 90s. In February.

This winter really sucks.

We need springtime. Tomorrow, Feb 8.

It's official.

I am ready for an early spring.

I finally learned my lesson. We will have lots of rain and qpf when it is mild. All of our storms will be moisture starved when it is cold enough to snow.

There is always next winter.

We need a pattern with blocking. This aint it.

So what we need is an early spring, a semipermanent upper level ridge with highs in the 70s and 80s and the chance for thunderstorms. Maybe even a few highs in the 90s. In February.

This winter really sucks.

We need springtime. Tomorrow, Feb 8.

Warm/wet cold/dry 

MA winter theme

Spring  theme

Cold/wet warm/wet 

Archived