Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Spring is here: Pics and happy talk stuff

Ian

Ideally, it would happen every year. 

Actually, most of the big events are prior to their predicted peak.. plus the festival was lengthened to 3 weeks a few years ago so it would be fairly hard for them to happen outside of it.  

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having said that...this is the closest I've seen March come in a long time for a 93' similarity. And as you all know, this threat window has shown up on my radar for a while now because it is intimately involved with the complex tropical-stratospheric waves/patterns. And really, the entire 3/12-3/18 period is threatening because this is a time of peak PNA that begins retrograding with cold air introduced into pattern. It will probably lead to a break / warm-up toward the 20th or so but I have feeling there is one last cold push waiting thereafter.

Thank God for that!

my pws is at 30 with a dp of 14. light air from nnw. standing outside it feels warmer, not that bitter cold 30 deg. feeling. it feels like warm is coming slowly. I could be me, just feels like today's low temp and tonight's high temp have a warm feel to it. something is changing.

This summer won't matter much. Enso is prog'd to build through the summer but not even get much above .5 - 1.0 in 3.4 through the season as it stands now. Signal is weak at best. Summer pattern will be dominated by other oscillations. AMO is pretty interesting as it has blipped and there's some cold water in the north atlantic. Likely a transient feature but worth noting. It's hard to bet against continued variability with periods of warm/cool for the foreseeable future. It will break sometime soon but that's a wag and it's been incredibly persistent for a long time now.

The larger effect in nino summers are crappy tropical seasons because wind patterns tend to shear out developing waves. IIRC the pac nw is wetter than average in nino summers but the overall effects here aren't very significant.

Thanks, Bob.  Was hoping for a bit of nino help this summer, but all-in-all I'd take a continued variable pattern.  Just praying not to see persistent SE ridging develope (ala 2010).  We've been in such a good pattern for the last 12 months that I'm getting paranoid.  Apr - Oct 2010 was a nightmare for me; I never want to see anything like it again.

Sorry to hear about your back.  Wishes for a speedy recovery.

my pws is at 30 with a dp of 14. light air from nnw. standing outside it feels warmer, not that bitter cold 30 deg. feeling. it feels like warm is coming slowly. I could be me, just feels like today's low temp and tonight's high temp have a warm feel to it. something is changing.

30 is 30, especially at night, so IMO it's psychological (nothing wring with that, of course).  Daytime temps are different matter, parrticularly when there's sunshine.  40 in the sun this time of year can be quite bearable if there's no wind.

But 70 in the sun is much nicer.

30 is 30, especially at night, so IMO it's psychological (nothing wring with that, of course).  Daytime temps are different matter, parrticularly when there's sunshine.  40 in the sun this time of year can be quite bearable if there's no wind.

But 70 in the sun is much nicer.

Maybe to most, but that is about the upper limit in my book, especially before June.

tee-hee-hee

usT2mMonInd1.gif

I'm not sure that will ever change at this point.  

Seriously though with the lakes so frozen and so much cold NW it's going to take a few months to ditch this crap entirely. 

I'm not sure that will ever change at this point.  

Seriously though with the lakes so frozen and so much cold NW it's going to take a few months to ditch this crap entirely. 

funny you should mention that....this is about how March looked on the CFS2 this time in FEB

usT2mMonInd2.gif

funny you should mention that....this is about how March looked on the CFS2 this time in FEB

Eventually climo will win but Euro weeklies have very meager shots of warmth on the whole with cold still winning into early April.  CFS going out months keeps a cold anomaly over the lakes.. tho I dunno how much that matters once we get to a certain point.  

So long as we don't get 90s the 2nd week of April, I'm good. Cool springs are rarely ever as cold and miserable as people fear... we're too far south to get stuck into weeks of 40s and drizzle like SNE

The key word is rarely... April 2007 was actually pretty miserable.

Archived