northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Spring is here: Pics and happy talk stuff

Ian

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TS Lee remnants were a top-5 DC weather event for me.

Was that the one that dropped 6-10" of rain here? I don't think it was but one of those remnant storms dropped nearly 10" in my yard over 2 days and there were a bunch of f0 spin ups. I remember waterfalls over my terraces in the back yard. Crazy cool to watch. And my basement stayed dry. Whichever storm that was assured me that I would never have water problems with my house.

So, does anyone here track spring/summer flooding rain events? Am I the only rain weenie?

The flood back in 06' was really impressive for a summer event. The stream levels imby were absolutely mindblowing.Too bad that was probably a once in a lifetime thing. Personally, after April/May I start tracking snow threats in northern Canada/Siberia. I remember last year, the Canadian Archipelago got a massive snowstorm in mid July. If only I had the money to chase.

wow! Crazy. I was there a couple years ago. Saw some heavy rain showers on the north shore. No lightning. I hear they don't get a lot of that there. Did you get any with the squall?

Not in this one. Great gust front preceding it, and impressive winds and rain. Now has tapered to showers. A few years ago on one of my trips I saw the longest duration lightning event of my life; heavy rain and lightning all night. And marble to chestnut sized hail. Locals said it was very unusual. This was on Oahu in Pearl Harbor.

I like spring. Would love nothing more than April and May to be full of days in the 60s and 70s. I dont want to see an 85 degree day till June.  Plus Spring in the woods with a log home is a time of man versus insect. Eradication. Gonna start spraying my house today to knock the emerging overwintering wasps back, and then dare those carpenter bees to come and drill in a few weeks.

If I'm thinking about the correct storm. I had nearly 4" of rain in two hours. Nearly 10 total. It was raining violently for 2 solid hours. Washed out roads I've never even seen flood. Caused large trees and mudslides to come off the hillsides near my house.

It was an impressive event, but I was pretty much bullseyed in it. I got 12" of rain on the day - about 8" in three hours or so in the evening. I've never seen it rain so hard, and it just didn't want to stop raining. Once my basement flooded and my roof threw in the towel, I thought the event sucked.

It was an impressive event, but I was pretty much bullseyed in it. I got 12" of rain on the day - about 8" in three hours or so in the evening. I've never seen it rain so hard, and it just didn't want to stop raining. Once my basement flooded and my roof threw in the towel, I thought the event sucked.

Ok, I remember that event now. I'm thinking of the remnants from a storm in 2010 (or 2011). It was nothing but remnant tropical moisture and a southerly flow. I remember the first event of the day set up over PG county. Training thunderstorms dropped 4-6" of rain in a few hours. It missed my locations that time. That evening around 9:00 a second line of intense storms fired just to my south. They trained over my location for hours. It was a localized event, but very intense. Luckily no damage to the house. That was one event I won't forget.

I don't, but thanks for the response. I'm looking for any hint of Spring toward the end of the month. I can't believe we are already about halfway done with March.

We'll be in the 60's within 3 days after any cold front in this pattern. Today was awesome and tomorrow looks good too. Even after the snow and cold next week we'll likely warm quick to pleasant for a couple day. Even if we average a bit below normal from now to the end of the month there will be enough nice days to make anyone happy. Unless people are chasing multiple mid 70's. Not sure that is realistic during any march here. It can easily happen but it's anomalous like 30's.

There is really no foreseeable end to this pattern in the long range through at least 240. Over the longer haul we could really be in for an active severe weather season.

I love when you talk dirty warm-ups. :lol:

Dirty Warm-up - Warm up's with accompanying convection and precip.

Calling severe t'storm weenies!

Present.

Archived