joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 4-5th Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOT taking notice...doesn't sound like the e/w overrunning event is being given much weight

THEN THE FOCUS TURNS TOWARDS THE SYSTEM PROGGED FOR TUE/WED. 500MB
TROUGH AXIS IS POISED TO DIG INTO THE FOUR-CORNERS REGION...EJECTING
A LOBE OF VORTICITY INTO THE SOUTHERN PLAINS. WITH THE PLACEMENT OF
A DOWNSTREAM MID-LVL RIDGE PARKED OVER THE SOUTHEAST CONUS ALLOWING
SUBSTANTIAL RETURN FLOW MOISTURE TO BE POISED TO STREAM NORTH.
CURRENT FORECASTS FROM ENSEMBLES IS THAT THIS SYSTEM WILL QUICKLY
DEVELOP AND LIFT NORTHEAST. OPERATIONAL GUIDANCE HAS SHOWN
DIFFERENCES AND SOME CORRECTIONS WITH THE RECENT CYCLES...AND THIS
WILL LIKELY PERSIST THROUGH THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. ALTHOUGH WITH THE
LONG-WAVE PATTERN BEGINNING TO UNDERGO CHANGES...THIS PATTERN IS NOW
SUGGESTIVE OF CLASSIC WINTER STORM SYSTEMS THAT LIFT NORTHEAST
THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY.

LOT taking notice

THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY.

In the early morning update, LOT had a 1 or 2 liner, which similar to this, is rather vague since its so far out yet.

It's been mentioned but the moisture return looks great...days and days of return flow into the southern US with Gulf/Caribbean trajectories so it's no surprise to see the huge qpf numbers on the models.  There are no absolutes but playing the percentages, I am more concerned about a northern shift than a southern one. 

It's been mentioned but the moisture return looks great...days and days of return flow into the southern US with Gulf/Caribbean trajectories so it's no surprise to see the huge qpf numbers on the models. There are no absolutes but playing the percentages, I am more concerned about a northern shift than a southern one.

Agree but with origination and ejecting further east in south Texas vs the more often panhandle, I don't see this thing going anymore nw than nw Ohio. Larry Cosgrove out of Houston thinks if tonights models dont show a more se track or redevelopment further east, then he favors a S.tx to nw PA.

Agree but with origination and ejecting further east in south Texas vs the more often panhandle, I don't see this thing going anymore nw than nw Ohio. Larry Cosgrove out of Houston thinks if tonights models dont show a more se track or redevelopment further east, then he favors a S.tx to nw PA.

If the wave comes in as far south as modeled then there should be a limit as to how far nw this can go, which would probably be somewhere around where you mentioned.  There's so much potential but I can't get excited until I'm convinced that precip type won't be an issue.

If the wave comes in as far south as modeled then there should be a limit as to how far nw this can go, which would probably be somewhere around where you mentioned.  There's so much potential but I can't get excited until I'm convinced that precip type won't be an issue

Likewise, though I do admit I am cautiously excited at the potential given that the ceiling is pretty high. I do agree with the low ejecting as far east as it does that this has a very low potential of ejecting to Chicago right now. Of course it could change and eject further northwest than currently modeled but as it stands right now where it is ejecting right now, I like our chances.

Good to see an increasing number of models showing this storm.  But as we turn the corner into Feb. I always have climate concerns regarding zr whenever a moisture laden big dog like this shows up and continues to do so on model output.  My fear is that someone in the Midwest will get a ton of snow and someone else may get a ton of ice.

LOT taking notice...doesn't sound like the e/w overrunning event is being given much weight

THROUGH THE OHIO VALLEY.

They also said this

TEMPS CURRENTLY ARE POISED FOR HIGHS ARND 20 POSSIBLY LOW 20S. IF

THIS SYSTEM NEXT WEEK DOES INDEED STRENGTHEN AS EXPECTED...IT WILL

LIKELY DRIFT FURTHER NORTH WITH TIME AND PLACE THE SWEET SPOT

SOMEWHERE CLOSER TO OUR FORECAST AREA.

My biggest concern is keeping the storm on the models, as a legit threat. We're still relatively far from go time. Details will sort themselves out in due time. lol, it's going to be a long week...

Yea this hobby is too addicting. Usually time flies, but when we track these things weeks out, a week seems like a month.

one thing to watch during this time frame is the SE ridge like you guys have been talking about. doesn't seem to be looking to robust in models but looking at the PNA trends it looks possible that PNA could go quite negative during this storm time frame which should support a stronger SE ridge and therefore result in a possible more north storm track. still a week out so really hard to say

one thing to watch during this time frame is the SE ridge like you guys have been talking about. doesn't seem to be looking to robust in models but looking at the PNA trends it looks possible that PNA could go quite negative during this storm time frame which should support a stronger SE ridge and therefore result in a possible more north storm track. still a week out so really hard to say

Good point here. The operational models and individual ensemble members are likely struggling the handling of the pattern shift to a strongly negative PNA.

Good point here. The operational models and individual ensemble members are likely struggling the handling of the pattern shift to a strongly negative PNA.

I totally agree! much of the US has been in NW flow for weeks and with this quick transition to more zonal flow in the east and trough building in the west models could def be struggling with the evolution of the jet and related storm system. like many AFD's stated today, it is pointless to be arguing track at this point. I bet we will see models go way north again then back south. typical wobble.

Archived