joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/21 Clipper that's not a Clipper Thread

DDweatherman

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes being on the "QPF edge" isn't a bad thing in these setups with excellent divergence aloft and low-mid level convergence (in very cold temps, no less).

As for a "kicker," I'd be careful with saying there's no kicker. The player of interest is more at the 700mb layer which is well ahead of the 500mb vort max.

This is a more technical way of saying my usual catchphrase, "There will be a heavy band to the NW of where the models have the best QPF like always."

Sometimes being on the "QPF edge" isn't a bad thing in these setups with excellent divergence aloft and low-mid level convergence (in very cold temps, no less).

As for a "kicker," I'd be careful with saying there's no kicker. The player of interest is more at the 700mb layer which is well ahead of the 500mb vort max.

NAM had them more potent acting together the last run so hopefully this is just another NAM 24hr.+ hiccup

the 18z and 00z NAM are very similar... noise... the reason it "washes out" faster is because its slower. minor timing differences. Nevertheless, still .1" + area wide.... which should be a solid 2-3"... anyone expecting more is silly

Not really.  While its not likely for DC to get more than 3", I don't think it can be written off yet.  S&E areas have a better shot at 3"+

the 18z and 00z NAM are very similar... noise... the reason it "washes out" faster is because its slower. minor timing differences. Nevertheless, still .1" + area wide.... which should be a solid 2-3"... anyone expecting more is silly

no one in here with any sense is "expecting" more, but we are certainly all hoping for more

Not really.  While its not likely for DC to get more than 3", I don't think it can be written off yet.  S&E areas have a better shot at 3"+

I agree,  unless the GFS cuts back a lot and the euro stays with it's 12Z solution.  It's foolish to write off the possibility of DC getting 3 inches.   The ratios are likely to be at least 15-1 maybe a little more than that.  

I keep hearing two different things on ratios, I've heard that it's one of the great myths, we never get good ratios, then I hear people saying 15-1 ratios are a good bet. Are ratios just hard to predict?

look at my post on the last page of this thread

1/30/10 had very similar temps and ratios across the area were virtually 20-1

Archived