• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Jan. 18th "Threat" Observations

NorEastermass128

Elevation enhancement with the NE flow I believe.

it was snowing very nicely when I was walking up a hill in boscawen around 4:30 and I noticed the wind was definitely picking up....seems occasionally breezy now.  BTW walking over a big open field that gets lots of sun and I was struck by the depth and quality of the snowpack.  At least 6 inches and thick.  That stuff isn't going anywhere anytime soon.  Totally glacier by Tuesday.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same here.  didn't start snowing too well until late this afternoon but we are over 2 inches as well.  Nice look outside.  steady light snow, good snow growth, a heavier band forming over or perhaps just to the west of me.  Hey mets, is that band that goes back into sw nh and central mass a part of a norlun?  And the band forming just nw of con?  Are they norlun features?  They seem kind of stationary

Classic winter look.  I agree with Ray from earlier, wet snow that coats everything beats windblown sugar anyday.  

Just after claiming catch up a nice sucker hole opens up...

Berkshire East is getting crushed right now, where is MPM?

Spent the day there today, left around 4pm with about 4" new, varying intensity often throughout the day, with some amazingly huge flakes. Riding the lift with my kids, all of us catching flakes on our tongues. My son, 9, catches one and says, "wow, dad that one was huge. It was like a feast." Pricless...

I was surprised to seed much less as I headed east on the trail. Greenfield had maybe 1/2" at 5pm, but it was dumping meal-sized flakes and was starting to pile up again. Roads were definitely worse in the valley, and there must have been quite a bit of daytime melting.

At home, huge flakes continue, 4" presently.

Spent the day there today, left around 4pm with about 4" new, varying intensity often throughout the day, with some amazingly huge flakes. Riding the lift with my kids, all of us catching flakes on our tongues. My son, 9, catches one and says, "wow, dad that one was huge. It was like a feast." Pricless...

I was surprised to seed much less as I headed east on the trail. Greenfield had maybe 1/2" at 5pm, but it was dumping meal-sized flakes and was starting to pile up again. Roads were definitely worse in the valley, and there must have been quite a bit of daytime melting.

At home, huge flakes continue, 4" presently.

lol that's great.  They were some huge flakes.

And don't get me started on the roads in the Valley.  Wow, what a mess made worse by a disappointing lack of love for thy neighbor.

Steady light snow falling here with another coating OTG so far, dense fog as well.

You sound so angry - lighten up!  You win some you lose some. :)

I remember one norlun in the 90s where I had 13" of snow and a couple of towns either side of me had none to very little.  I always like these types of deals where some people win big.

Some snow moving into the n mass "snowbelt" Pepperell etc from that birving band , lets see if flakes fly again. I just want the whole town iced up.

Have some pics today of cars stuck on main st trying to get up hill. People pushing and cars honkin, one lady ran outside and began throwing sand in front if the car to get traction (lets just say that took a while since there was a good 60 yards to go

Yes, definitely. It was that 30-31F paste that isn't too soaking wet though, but easy for snowballs.

I got about 3" of mash'd taters that is now about 2.25. Here in wakefield looks like maybe half inch more.

The flakes at 1145 to noon here reminded me of the event in late feb 2010 when i chased snow all way across 495 harvard then south then east then back to burlington where snow clumps began falling at 2am, this (flake size) didnt beat that, but it got close. Was a truly awesome surprise to leave work to silver dollar flakes and < 1/4 vis

Here's the smoking gun for today's mesolow/convection S+ in NW CT. Here's the 3-hour NAM BUFKIT sounding valid at 15z today. Lapse rates nearly 8c/km from 600-800mb and saturated right through the snow growth zone. Vigorous upright convection favored.

Why this developed into a mesolow (almost an MCV) I don't know. That brought this from a 3"-6" kinda deal into a 6"-10" kind of deal with some enhanced lift thanks to a frontogenetical circulation on the northwest side.

Wow. 

post-40-0-50713800-1390095458_thumb.png

Here's the smoking gun for today's mesolow/convection S+ in NW CT. Here's the 3-hour NAM BUFKIT sounding valid at 15z today. Lapse rates nearly 8c/km from 600-800mb and saturated right through the snow growth zone. Vigorous upright convection favored.

Why this developed into a mesolow (almost an MCV) I don't know. That brought this from a 3"-6" kinda deal into a 6"-10" kind of deal with some enhanced lift thanks to a frontogenetical circulation on the northwest side.

Wow.

nice, this developed from the Tstorm complex which gave Kew Gardens Tsnow, an evident circulation developed passing over DXR giving a very healthy burst then it basically developed a mini comma head, cool stuff

Archived