• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Jan. 18th "Threat" Observations

NorEastermass128

Last 6hr core is 1.8" new snow and 0.05" liquid for a hefty ~35:1. This is like LES/upslope.

Event total so far is 3.5" and 0.19" liquid. It's still snowing lightly with decent growth under the GYX beam. The moon is clearly visible through the low overcast. It seems it's thin enough that we're actually getting some radiational cooling along with the -SN.

28.1F

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ryan - FYI there was a coating at least in northern Tolland County.  I can't speak for other areas but I know that Stafford and Union have at least a coating of 0.2".  Untreated roads were covered too.

This is the similar event I was recalling:

http://articles.courant.com/1993-03-06/news/0000105041_1_winter-storm-snow-removal-storm-center

We had about 12" of snow in just a couple of hours.  The most intense snow I've ever seen and I remember the numbers surprised a lot of folks.  I couldn't get out that evening and I called my friend and said that I'd be late because of the snow and they said "what snow?" because it wasn't snowing there!

Wow, just a week before the '93 Superstorm!  Sounds like it was awesome... :snowing:

Just a fascinating event watch unfold...i had maybe an hr of snow, so wet it only coated grassy surfaces. But its not about my cartop accum or lack therof. What transpired north of here, esp up in the nw corner, is nuts. And what some of you guys in ma nh and me plucked out from this thing is weather phenomena. Dont know how else to say it...i mean its still fluffing up along the coast lol.

Congrats, i hope the valium that fell from sky was swallowed up by the dry humping worriers...lets take it one day at a time now. We will get through this together.

Here's the smoking gun for today's mesolow/convection S+ in NW CT. Here's the 3-hour NAM BUFKIT sounding valid at 15z today. Lapse rates nearly 8c/km from 600-800mb and saturated right through the snow growth zone. Vigorous upright convection favored.

Why this developed into a mesolow (almost an MCV) I don't know. That brought this from a 3"-6" kinda deal into a 6"-10" kind of deal with some enhanced lift thanks to a frontogenetical circulation on the northwest side.

Wow. 

Give Wiz that sounding look at 15z on May 1st and he'll be scoring baseball games nude.

Had 1.75" Total when I left Cumberland. You have 2.75" in Franklin?? Yet Another storm I am Screwed on. THREE for THREE this month. I for a good note, have basically seen snow from 11:30am until now in Boston where it has been snowing steady for 7 hours+ with hardly anything on radar the whole time. 3" ON the ground in West Roxbury and probably 3.5" Storm Total. Thank God I keep coming to Boston on site events as it's Killing this winter. My home is Absolutely SUCKING.

On another good note - Jim Cantore had a nice conversation on Twitter today after he retweted my picture of the Massive Flakes!! I called up Kocin and he said he had dinner with Jim 2 days ago haha. We must have tallied about Dec. 9, 2005 for 20 minutes add usual lol! Had a nice end to what I Thought was the end of the storm with the classic Sun coming out but it's still snowing.

Had 1.75" Total when I left Cumberland. You have 2.75" in Franklin?? Yet Another storm I am Screwed on. THREE for THREE this month. I for a good note, have basically seen snow from 11:30am until now in Boston where it has been snowing steady for 7 hours+ with hardly anything on radar the whole time. 3" ON the ground in West Roxbury and probably 3.5" Storm Total. Thank God I keep coming to Boston on site events as it's Killing this winter. My home is Absolutely SUCKING.

On another good note - Jim Cantore had a nice conversation on Twitter today after he retweted my picture of the Massive Flakes!! I called up Kocin and he said he had dinner with Jim 2 days ago haha. We must have tallied about Dec. 9, 2005 for 20 minutes add usual lol! Had a nice end to what I Thought was the end of the storm with the classic Sun coming out but it's still snowing.

Yes I was astonished at how the small distance on this. Noticed that there was little or nothing by the 95/495 interchange however the ground was white a few miles north and and once I went another 8 miles north it was still on the trees. Was above freezing until Foxborough. 

I am sorry to hear that it has been a frustrating time for snow at your place. 

That's great about your pic. I met Paul Kocin at Blue Hill in January 2010. We talked for about 20 min. Great guy. The Dec 2005 event was the worst blizzard conditions I have ever seen I was living in Ashland at the time and we picked up a foot.

Archived