• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Jan. 18th "Threat" Observations

NorEastermass128

nice, this developed from the Tstorm complex which gave Kew Gardens Tsnow, an evident circulation developed passing over DXR giving a very healthy burst then it basically developed a mini comma head, cool stuff

Here's a blog post 

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2014/01/18/surprise-snowstorm-drops-nearly-10-in-norfolk/

Before the +TSSNRA in Queens the convection had been ongoing for quite some time. 1/2" diameter hail fell near the Jersey Shore and it's the same cluster of thundersnow/graupel that moved through Pennsylvania.

The development of the mesolow (almost an MCV?) is what made it produce even more prolific snow than it otherwise would have.

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You sound so angry - lighten up!  You win some you lose some. :)

I remember one norlun in the 90s where I had 13" of snow and a couple of towns either side of me had none to very little.  I always like these types of deals where some people win big.

I'm not angry in the least and I could care less if it snows around here. Hopfully the ski areas closeby get some needed snowfall though.

Here's a blog post 

http://ryanhanrahan.com/2014/01/18/surprise-snowstorm-drops-nearly-10-in-norfolk/

Before the +TSSNRA in Queens the convection had been ongoing for quite some time. 1/2" diameter hail fell near the Jersey Shore and it's the same cluster of thundersnow/graupel that moved through Pennsylvania.

The development of the mesolow (almost an MCV?) is what made it produce even more prolific snow than it otherwise would have.

Hey Ryan - FYI there was a coating at least in northern Tolland County.  I can't speak for other areas but I know that Stafford and Union have at least a coating of 0.2".  Untreated roads were covered too.

This is the similar event I was recalling:

http://articles.courant.com/1993-03-06/news/0000105041_1_winter-storm-snow-removal-storm-center

We had about 12" of snow in just a couple of hours.  The most intense snow I've ever seen and I remember the numbers surprised a lot of folks.  I couldn't get out that evening and I called my friend and said that I'd be late because of the snow and they said "what snow?" because it wasn't snowing there!

These inv trough deals always seem to have a surprise and random meso lows from latent heat release/diabatic heating when you have a very strong shortwave. The one back on 2011 had one across SE coastal NH. It's like you know it's going to happen and surprise someone, but the placement of said feature can be tough.

Hey Ryan - FYI there was a coating at least in northern Tolland County.  I can't speak for other areas but I know that Stafford and Union have at least a coating of 0.2".  Untreated roads were covered too.

This is the similar event I was recalling:

http://articles.courant.com/1993-03-06/news/0000105041_1_winter-storm-snow-removal-storm-center

We had about 12" of snow in just a couple of hours.  The most intense snow I've ever seen and I remember the numbers surprised a lot of folks.  I couldn't get out that evening and I called my friend and said that I'd be late because of the snow and they said "what snow?" because it wasn't snowing there!

Good to know... I'll bring the "coating" line down south a bit toward you guys.

Interesting storm in 93. That's a really bizarre setup...

I don't remember that one but do remember the one a week later :)

post-40-0-50284700-1390097772_thumb.png

These inv trough deals always seem to have a surprise and random meso lows from latent heat release/diabatic heating when you have a very strong shortwave. The one back on 2011 had one across SE coastal NH. It's like you know it's going to happen and surprise someone, but the placement of said feature can be tough.

Yup... pretty weird. What sort of surprised me is how the models insisted on fizzling the convection/snows in PA that wound up actually strengthening as they moved toward CT/NY. 

What happened in Mass, while a bit unexpected, didn't really surprise me THAT much. 

Yup... pretty weird. What sort of surprised me is how the models insisted on fizzling the convection/snows in PA that wound up actually strengthening as they moved toward CT/NY.

What happened in Mass, while a bit unexpected, didn't really surprise me THAT much.

I wonder if the influx of moisture from the waters south of LI kept it going. Meso models like HRRR sucked with that. NAM blew.

Good to know... I'll bring the "coating" line down south a bit toward you guys.

Interesting storm in 93. That's a really bizarre setup...

I don't remember that one but do remember the one a week later :)

Yeah, everyone remembers that storm, lol.  I had a couple of events that winter that were over shadowed about a week later.  The other one was in early December before the December '92 storm that we all remember.

I wonder if the influx of moisture from the waters south of LI kept it going. Meso models like HRRR sucked with that. NAM blew.

I'm sure it helped. I wonder if the models struggled with moisture transport with the heavier snow progged to develop across NE CT up toward Boston. 

Archived