CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Mid to late Jan cold talk

Ian

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning, the temperature fell to at least 7° at BWI Airport. That is the season's 8th single-digit low, tying winter 2013-14 with winter 1993-94 for single-digit minimum temperatures. The last winter with more such low temperatures was winter 1983-84 with 9.

we'll have a new record come next week at this time

I think tying the record of 10 in a month is a lock with a solid chance to break it.  

It's hard for me to think of a better feeling than walking on frozen, crunchy snow.  And to see sunny days that could not melt the snow (well, except on traveled asphalt).  That is remarkable for this area these days, even moreso than a huge snowstorm.  The last time I can recall that happening was 1987.  Maybe after the superstorm in Jan 1996, but I don't recall the cold that followed being this intense. 

This pattern hangs on for a couple more weeks (and we refresh our snowpack), and this winter might get added to the legend book.

Have to imagine that's gonna look like that we'll into February at this point. I for one am a fan of snowcover days although I know some here aren't

Winter is for snow on the ground.  There are 3 other seasons that are for green.  Or in some cases brown

I have... for hours each day (suitably clothed), and it feels great.

you must be part eskimo.  it's bad out.  i mean, i probably should have had more layers, but i guess that's what i don't like having to do when it's this cold out...takes the enjoyment out of it for me.  that said, it is scenic outside.  i'll give you that.  though at some point soon, i'm going to want my outdoor tennis and basketball courts back.

South River right out to the Bay was so frozen over 1977. With snowcover could not tell where land left off and ice began. Cars out on it . Bay was frozen and some did walk out onto shallow parts.

That was a good one (January 1977), but December 1989 was even better for consecutive days below freezing at DCA. Beginning December 16th and ending Christmas Day, there were 10 straight days where the temperature never reached freezing. The temperature range for those 10 days was 5-31, with an average of 19.

you must be part eskimo.  it's bad out.  i mean, i probably should have had more layers, but i guess that's what i don't like having to do when it's this cold out...takes the enjoyment out of it for me.  that said, it is scenic outside.  i'll give you that.  though at some point soon, i'm going to want my outdoor tennis and basketball courts back.

No, not eskimo; I just love snow.  The snow cover completely changes the dynamic for me.  Vortex I was not so nice.  Unless it's Christmas, then windy / cold / dry is not all that enjoyable for me.  Add some snow to the mix, however, and I would gladly keep the cold all winter long.

No, not eskimo; I just love snow.  The snow cover completely changes the dynamic for me.  Vortex I was not so nice.  Unless it's Christmas, then windy / cold / dry is not all that enjoyable for me.  Add some snow to the mix, however, and I would gladly keep the cold all winter long.

Agree 100%, getting ready to head out the door for second time today. First was this am when I walked the local trail in the cold and snow enjoying the crispness (love that 'crunchy' snow sound) and solitude....:) Now out to pay bills and such. Was -1.9 for a low here, up to 13.3 at 1:15 pm.

Midlo, that is awesome! lol

Archived