CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Mid to late Jan cold talk

Ian

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is exactly the kind of infrastructure failure that JB was warning everyone about before the cold spell!  ;)

There is probably 8 billion dollars worth of potholes in NYC by itself, so it looks like he is right. I drove up there today because most Amtrak chains were canceled and it is a miracle i did not blow all my tires.

If we don't get some sort of major pattern realignment it's gonna take a while to unfreeze the source regions. I'm starting to worry about my late feb flower planting.

Also CA may run out of water. Ridiculously little snow in the Sierra.

you get a gig with the Washington Post and now you think you can walk on water.....typical

:lol:

We'll see I guess. It was nice knowin' y'all.. well, some of you. 

I hate the cold for the most part but an intriguing situation is developing where we could in theory end up with a really good winter.  Maybe it's the snow on the ground talking.  I certainly didn't think this is where we'd be sitting with another 3-4 weeks of peak climo snow ahead. 

:lol:

We'll see I guess. It was nice knowin' y'all.. well, some of you. 

I hate the cold for the most part but an intriguing situation is developing where we could in theory end up with a really good winter.  Maybe it's the snow on the ground talking.  I certainly didn't think this is where we'd be sitting with another 3-4 weeks of peak climo snow ahead. 

we had some decent signs early on with the snow cover in Asia and a lot of great winters showing up on the supercomputer analogs starting in November

in fact, I remember posting to HM in late NOV and saying "I wonder if we end up with a great winter we won't look back and say the writing was on the wall with these great analog dates"

hopefully, but we have a lot of time left to blow it!

we had some decent signs early on with the snow cover in Asia and a lot of great winters showing up on the supercomputer analogs starting in November

in fact, I remember posting to HM in late NOV and saying "I wonder if we end up with a great winter we won't look back and say the writing was on the wall with these great analog dates"

hopefully, but we have a lot of time left to blow it!

I remember a bit of talk but we have that every year it seems. Though for some reasons ref to 1995-96 stand out. Maybe I made that up after seeing it show up a lot in the 'since' category when it comes to cold. Obviously not going there but everyone 100-250% normal ytd or so locally with some historically sweet weeks ahead and cold air seemingly plentiful. I'm sorta bullish.

2" min to walk on ice...and even that's considered unsafe but I've played plenty of pond hockey with 2-2.5" and nobody died. 3" and you have no worries even in groups. 6-7" and you open up new commuter routes.

I'd probably never do it but you could get some awesome unique shots if the river were to freeze over entirely to that level around here. I'm not sure what that would take.

I'd probably never do it but you could get some awesome unique shots if the river were to freeze over entirely to that level around here. I'm not sure what that would take.

It's really not.that scary. 3" and no chance. Ice warns you too. You can tell well in advance if starts getting unstable. It's unnerving the first time but after that you just walk slow and watch and listen

This morning, the temperature fell to at least 7° at BWI Airport. That is the season's 8th single-digit low, tying winter 2013-14 with winter 1993-94 for single-digit minimum temperatures. The last winter with more such low temperatures was winter 1983-84 with 9.

we'll have a new record come next week at this time

This morning, the temperature fell to at least 7° at BWI Airport. That is the season's 8th single-digit low, tying winter 2013-14 with winter 1993-94 for single-digit minimum temperatures. The last winter with more such low temperatures was winter 1983-84 with 9.

BWI dropped 1 degree to 6 as the official low

Archived