• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to late Jan cold talk

Ian

Amazing to see some of the reports coming from areas that had a couple inches of snowcover.  Just by looking at the temps in this area, the snowcover south and east of here might have accounted for a 6-10 degree or more departure than what it might have been without snowcover.

We got down to +1F here in Cape May.  Millville Airport radiates like no other.  They are often the coldest spot in the state when conditions are radiational rather than advective.

Yeah...he told me that the NWS supposedly sent a team out a few years ago to check to make sure that the instruments weren't malfunctioning since they're often by far the lowest temps in the area on nights with good radiational cooling.  He also said that the contractor who built their house a few years ago told him it got down to -11F one night on their on-site temperature-monitoring system during construction.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing to see some of the reports coming from areas that had a couple inches of snowcover.  Just by looking at the temps in this area, the snowcover south and east of here might have accounted for a 6-10 degree or more departure than what it might have been without snowcover.

At least.. plus new snowcover > old snowcover it seems. IAD had a relatively warm low considering. 

At least.. plus new snowcover > old snowcover it seems. IAD had a relatively warm low considering. 

Yup.  We got down to 8.6, but that's with 0-3" of snowcover in my neighborhood (depending on shade, etc.).  I'd imagine that Dulles is similar, so the lack of uniform, deep snowcover really "hurts" in these situations.  To be 10+ degrees warmer overnight than places on the Eastern Shore, SE VA, or down in eastern NC is pretty wild.

Great data on the cold. I hope we can get 6" here soon to death knell DCA as being accurate. When all the roads, buildings, parking lots and ground are covered with snow, when most all vehicles are covered or not running, when the Potomac is froze or at 32, then there really is not UHI. All that is exposed at that point are the sides of buildings, everything else is rendered the same by 95% snow coverage. If, at that point, DCA is still 5-10 degrees milder than everyone else then it would be indisuptable truth of the errors of where their senors are located and how their information is culled. The elevation difference is worth about 1 degree versus BWI, Andrews.

Great data on the cold. I hope we can get 6" here soon to death knell DCA as being accurate. When all the roads, buildings, parking lots and ground are covered with snow, when most all vehicles are covered or not running, when the Potomac is froze or at 32, then there really is not UHI. All that is exposed at that point are the sides of buildings, everything else is rendered the same by 95% snow coverage. If, at that point, DCA is still 5-10 degrees milder than everyone else then it would be indisuptable truth of the errors of where their senors are located and how their information is culled. The elevation difference is worth about 1 degree versus BWI, Andrews.

my low was 18...2 higher than DCA...MN transplant who lives in Falls Church had a low of 14...some places don't radiate well.....plus some places have snowcover....this stuff just makes you look like a conspiracy theorist....just being honest....

Nights like last night are prime ones to get screwed by UHI. I noticed the wxbug stations were as warm or warmer than DCA around midnight at least.

yes and even snowcover wont mitigate it....before it got built up IAD used to go below zero with more regularity....IAD had the same low as FT Belvoir...does that mean IAD's sensor is messed up too?..IAD is in a perfect radiational bowl

Archived