WeatherFox

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY

1054 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

NYZ078>081-177-179-030600-

NORTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-SOUTHWESTERN SUFFOLK-

SOUTHEASTERN SUFFOLK-NORTHERN NASSAU-SOUTHERN NASSAU-

1054 PM EST THU JAN 2 2014

...BAND OF HEAVY SNOW MOVING INTO LONG ISLAND...

AT 1045 PM NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED A BAND OF

HEAVY SNOW MOVING OFF THE CENTRAL NEW JERSEY COAST AND HEADED FOR

NASSAU AND SUFFOLK COUNTIES. THE BAND SHOULD REACH THE SOUTH SHORE

OF LONG ISLAND BY 1130 AM AND OVERSPREAD MAINLY SOUTHERN NASSAU

AND MOST OF SUFFOLK COUNTY THROUGH 1 AM. SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2

INCHES PER HOUR ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS BAND. WITH LOCALLY HIGHER

AMOUNTS POSSIBLE IN THE CORE OF THE BAND. NEAR WHITE CONDITIONS

ARE LIKELY AT TIMES WITH THIS BAND. PERSONS ARE URGED TO STAY

HOME AND AVOID TRAVEL DURING THIS TIME.

$$

MALOIT

Anyone else spot the mistake?

19 degrees and mod snow

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am under a blizzard warning at the moment but outside I believe the visibility and winds are not matching the requirements of a blizzard. Does anyone believe that we could still have blizzard conditions after midnight? Thank you

Definitely. The winds are going to keep picking up, going to max around 6-7am. Plus the snow rates are still increasing. Visibilities are already down to about 0.5 miles. 

Buoy 44017 SE of Westhampton is recording 40mph sustained winds!

Over 3 now in Edison

Just got back from my 1/2 mile walk to and from Hailey's Pub in Metuchen.  Got there at 9 pm and found out they were closing at 10 pm!  First time they've ever closed early in the snow that I can recall (I always go there during night time storms - big windows and it's just fun to be out with folks who like snow - like to have a few beers and go out and check the snow and throw a few snowballs). 

Anyway, shoveled and measured the snow as of 10:45 pm and it was 3" then (average of a dozen or so measurements in the back yard - the deck is catching too much wind and blowoff from the roof).  I'm sure it's a bit more now, although it's only been light to moderate for awhile, but the radar looks like it's about to go off.  Temp is at 18F and winds are probably 10-15 mph.  It's stunningly gorgeous out there, folks.  Get out a little and enjoy it. 

With the ridge overhead tomorrow night late I'm thinking someone out on Eastern LI is gonna be double digits below 0

Agree, FOK has a chance at it. Light winds, deep snow pack, FOK is the radiational cooling capital of the world. I've see it once down to -4 and it was about 20 here (and it can radiate well here).

19.1 Moderate snow

About 4" I'd guess.

Just got back from my 1/2 mile walk to and from Hailey's Pub in Metuchen.  Got there at 9 pm and found out they were closing at 10 pm!  First time they've ever closed early in the snow that I can recall (I always go there during night time storms - big windows and it's just fun to be out with folks who like snow - like to have a few beers and go out and check the snow and throw a few snowballs). 

Anyway, shoveled and measured the snow as of 10:45 pm and it was 3" then (average of a dozen or so measurements in the back yard - the deck is catching too much wind and blowoff from the roof).  I'm sure it's a bit more now, although it's only been light to moderate for awhile, but the radar looks like it's about to go off.  Temp is at 18F and winds are probably 10-15 mph.  It's stunningly gorgeous out there, folks.  Get out a little and enjoy it. 

Ya know they call it the brainy borough....I measured 2.5 awhile back so I'm guessing I'm around 3 here in Colonia.Had a few wicked gusts the last hour or so. Woodbridge canceled schools.

Archived