joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does this make any sense? I am not seeing only 8 inches of snow. Last map was much better. I don't understand them sometimes...

Ranges strike again.

There are probably a lot of near 10" totals near the coast. So I change of 0.1" snow from 9.9" to 10.0" is going to make your category change from 8-10 to 10-14. I think we just need to relax and take a step back from exact totals right now. Plenty of snow coming.

The midday runs so far give credence of a large area of 12+ from SNH down thru CT and N of NYC to NW NJ

Thats overdoing it. There's also going to be sleet issue S of the pike for sure...still a lot of snow on the front end, but 12+ from S NH to NJ is not really supported by anything.

If the 12Z GFS is to be believed, the exact timing of the changeover to IP will have a huge impact on snowfall amounts around here.  Obviously, this is always true to some extent, but it looks like snow would be falling at a several inches an hour rate right at the time that that the midlevels warm above freezing, so even increments of 15 minutes or so would have an impact.

Ranges strike again.

There are probably a lot of near 10" totals near the coast. So I change of 0.1" snow from 9.9" to 10.0" is going to make your category change from 8-10 to 10-14. I think we just need to relax and take a step back from exact totals right now. Plenty of snow coming.

I tried.......... :)

Im not sure on the sleet issues. Mid levels are really trying to fight that off esp with the heavier qpf

They try to fight it off, and succeed for a while..but then the sleet does arrive. It will sleet there. Its ok if you don't get a foot of snow. warning criteria with some sleet in the pack is a pretty good storm.

Ranges strike again.

I was just trying to find the logic in it. I am not using that map as the bible of outcome.

I was just trying to find the logic in it. I am not using that map as the bible of outcome.

The point is that you shouldn't be looking for logic in a change of 0.1" of snow. It's basically noise. However, because we are tied to those ranges for the website it flips a category. Your forecast has actually changed very little.

My grandfather died this morning and I was wondering if you guys could pray for him if your into that kind of stuff, if not than that's fine.  However its one of those deals where a snowstorm is a bonus regardless of the amounts.  I won't stop watching the weather unfold because he wouldn't want me too.  850mb travels right over the Cape, so we mix for a time before the 850s crash southeastward as the comma head develops overhead.

I'm very sorry for your loss.  Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Archived