joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does this make any sense? I am not seeing only 8 inches of snow. Last map was much better. I don't understand them sometimes...

Could be that we are in the situation where any indication of small variations of track of the storm at any time could tweak the amount of snow we see by 2"-4 ". I liked the earlier map as well but maybe all yesterdays NW trends were a little too much and (as I've seen a few mention) the possibility of a slight shift back SE even just a little might make the difference. Just a guess from someone who just tries to follow the discussions as best as possible.

let the disappointment begin.

I really would not be sweating the details of there 1st map, Its an 8-10" storm with room for more depending the outcome of today and tonight's runs, I think we would all have been happy a few days ago with this when it was showing a strung out POS that only gave us a few inches

I really would not be sweating the details of there 1st map, Its an 8-10" storm with room for more depending the outcome of today and tonight's runs, I think we would all have been happy a few days ago with this when it was showing a strung out POS that only gave us a few inches

That is what this is all about. This is the second map out of no where. They came up with a very reasonable map before you can find posted a few pages back, then, with no new model data lowering QPF or snowfall, they lowered everything substantially. I know that what happens, happens, and this will most likely increase this afternoon, I am just wondering why.

Thing is if the east wind starts cranking it'll eat the cold air quickly. Today's runs are show time let's see what kicks off in 30 minutes. Nam hasn't jackpotted ski mrg yet and maybe it's time.

With both the 06z NAM/GFS closing off 850mb south of SNE and even making a last ditch effort to close off H7 as it exits stage right...we'll def have to entertain the possibility that 12"+ amounts could occur. This is obviously a change thinking from the last few days when this was a pure SWFE. I'm still not convinced we nuke this out in time ala 12/9/05 (albeit weaker..lets not go too nuts) to get the mid-level flow easterly...but if we do, then we'll see higher amounts.

The flow remains very progressive without blocking and we are counting on a lot real world convective feeback to deepen the mid-level centers to our south.

Is there any concern with this?  The High has remained pretty consistent...

Pickles wants to be 25F and SN as opposed to 32Fand SN.  Anyone N & W of BOS/PVD should have no fear of an all wintry event.

My thoughts are still the same for my general area.  I  still see a 3-6" type deal. 1-2hours is going to make a big difference in snow amounts with this.  Huge bust potential on each side but I favor a colder scenario in this one given the antecedent airmass as well as the high location to the N.  Track has not wavered too much over the last day or so.  Anywhere between ACK and the BM.

With both the 06z NAM/GFS closing off 850mb south of SNE and even making a last ditch effort to close off H7 as it exits stage right...we'll def have to entertain the possibility that 12"+ amounts could occur. This is obviously a change thinking from the last few days when this was a pure SWFE. I'm still not convinced we nuke this out in time ala 12/9/05 (albeit weaker..lets not go too nuts) to get the mid-level flow easterly...but if we do, then we'll see higher amounts.

The flow remains very progressive without blocking and we are counting on a lot real world convective feeback to deepen the mid-level centers to our south.

Great last paragraph. Let's see whether that feedback was real or memorex on the upcoming runs today

I meantioned 12/9/05 lite last night....

My best guess of 12"+ is extreme NE MA and esp SE NH and cstl ME near the CF. That CF means business. Extreme NE MA is still on the low prob for 12" at the moment.

Any predictions for Extreme Eastern Coastal Maine? (Basically the coast next to Canada)

Im new to weather forecasting and predicting the precip is extremely challenging. I appreciate the input from anyone.

Archived