• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

I actually think a lot of us on here have used the teleconnections very well to predict this pattern....+NAO/-EPO is a classic gradient pattern with very cold north and warm south with the SE ridge tendency. That is exactly what we are getting.

Ditto.

Someone needs to thump onto the mattress and have themselves a nap....cranky lol

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually think a lot of us on here have used the teleconnections very well to predict this pattern....+NAO/-EPO is a classic gradient pattern with very cold north and warm south with the SE ridge tendency. That is exactly what we are getting.

How so? I see tons of troughiness with this pattern. To each his own but that's how I feel at least.

How so? I see tons of troughiness with this pattern. To each his own but that's how I feel at least.

Here is the pattern since Mid-November when the EPO has been predominately negative and the NAO postive:

compday_cr_KPjj_Wb_Cd.gif

We've def had troughiness at times, but the mean has been SE ridging. And that looks to continue...mean SE ridge though troughs will come through from time to time...but those troughs are "forced" into the ridge which makes for these southwest flow type events and overrunning.

Here is the pattern since Mid-November when the EPO has been predominately negative and the NAO postive:

We've def had troughiness at times, but the mean has been SE ridging. And that looks to continue...mean SE ridge though troughs will come through from time to time...but those troughs are "forced" into the ridge which makes for these southwest flow type events and overrunning.

**I edited this a bit to make my argument more understandable**

Okay so you proved that we had an overall -EPO/+NAO setup, which I never doubted because models have been good with it, but when we get coastals like these, the one on 11/27, and perhaps the one around Christmas (still far out), which have dumped/have the potential to dump considerable amounts of precipitation, it shows that you can't put that much stock into them in regards to making a monthly/seasonal precipitation/snowfall forecast. After this upcoming event, many places may end up above normal for precipitation/snowfall for this time of year which goes against the fact that this setup (-EPO/+NAO) results in below normal precipitation/snowfall climatologically speaking. Whenever somebody asks me, "Oh what is December looking like snowfall wise?", I usually tell them that the pattern isn't favorable but it takes one or two storms to prove that wrong, because I know storms like these can happen in such patterns.

Again, I'm not saying people are wrong, I'm not saying they're worthless to look at (because I love looking at them myself to give myself a foundational idea of what may be to come), I just think that they are slightly overrated in my opinion, especially when we get into little stormy patterns like these which tends to skew data and thoughts. Let's face it, I doubt many of you would actually put money down saying, "this winter will be less snowy because of a -EPO/+NAO." Why? Because nobody knows how it'll actually play out. 

I hope you see where I'm coming from on this. I'm not asking anyone to agree but at least to understand my point of argument.

Also, I did the same exact reanalysis as you and got this, not sure why my SE ridge isn't as prevalent as yours:

compday.uJq4clo3Hf.gif

The upstream ridging is ever so much stronger on the 00z ECMWF... the end result is more northern and southern stream s/w phasing because is speeds up the progression of the northern stream s/w. 

EDIT: Actually on second look it doesn't look substantially different, and actually the 500 hPa vorticity is less phased between the two s/w. Its interesting that the MSLP is further north and deeper which seems to be a reflection of a slightly stronger 300 hPa jet streak to the NE which enhances the thermally indirect circulation driving lift and precipitation. 

Will what are we looking at for a start/stop time frame?

For BOS it has maybe early-mid Afternoon as start and then its over by 6-7am Sunday. The heaviest snow in BOS is probably 03z to 09z. (10pm-4am) But the steady stuff is probably going by early evening.

Will, don't mean to bother you, though what does this mean for Amherst, NH?  Local mets are saying we won't really get snow until around 8 pm and it will go until about 11am.  Total around 4-8 inches?  Usually that means around 4.5 inches is that about right?  Thinking conservative if we get dry slot.

Will, don't mean to bother you, though what does this mean for Amherst, NH? Local mets are saying we won't really get snow until around 8 pm and it will go until about 11am. Total around 4-8 inches? Usually that means around 4.5 inches is that about right? Thinking conservative if we get dry slot.

No. Think 8-12. Probably closer to 10.

Nice to see everything pretty much held serve trackwise overnight..6-10 at least with mixing only far SE.. 

?????  Don't you go to bed at 9:00p.m.?

Nothing held serve from the last things you saw before then.  Everything came northwest by a fair margin.

Either way, it looks like we all get a little snow in the forecast which is a very, very good thing.

Coldest morning of the season here at the Pit.

8.7/4

Archived