joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 14/15 winter storm threat part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My grandfather died this morning and I was wondering if you guys could pray for him if your into that kind of stuff, if not than that's fine.  However its one of those deals where a snowstorm is a bonus regardless of the amounts.  I won't stop watching the weather unfold because he wouldn't want me too.  850mb travels right over the Cape, so we mix for a time before the 850s crash southeastward as the comma head develops overhead.

very sorry about your loss. My condolences.  

This is getting a very convective look on the hi res models. Just these billows of intense VVs. So naturally when that happens all sorts of weird sh*t goes on. Areas that should be rain are snow, Areas that should have snow have a gravity wave induced toaster bath etc. I'm not saying that will happen...but it's getting that intense look for a time after 3z- 6z.

Convection can be a friend or it can be a foe

If you have only lived in ENY for a couple years, I can understand the pessimism.  We've been fringed a lot lately.  I've been in the area over 20 years, and its not a bad area for snow, just been tough lately.  The overall average for the ALB area is 62", so not bad, even in the valley.  We'll start getting some our way...and this one may not end up too bad anyway.

I lived in the area from 2005-2007... and those years were better than recent ones.  Since 2010 I can count 6-10 storms that nailed SNE, and none for ENY.

At h5 the southern stream is slowly getting stronger each run around 18 hours and on.  A more defined southern stream means a better defined and faster developing coastal.

Yep but I don't think I'm buying the fight off of the torch aloft that the models are showing.  I'll enjoy the mood snows before a flip and I think it's about the same for you.  If we pull 1-3" we'll be lucky, JMHO.

Models were awful with the handling of the s/w coming out of the deep southwest.  Too fast not too slow in ejecting it and now it's tugging the low further and further west.

My grandfather died this morning and I was wondering if you guys could pray for him if your into that kind of stuff, if not than that's fine.  However its one of those deals where a snowstorm is a bonus regardless of the amounts.  I won't stop watching the weather unfold because he wouldn't want me too.  850mb travels right over the Cape, so we mix for a time before the 850s crash southeastward as the comma head develops overhead.

sorry for your loss James.

I lived in the area from 2005-2007... and those years were better than recent ones.  Since 2010 I can count 6-10 storms that nailed SNE, and none for ENY.

The winter of 05-06 was pretty bad though and even the first half of 06-07 until February and March had very little snowfall.

There will be favorable stretches in the future for ENY; everything always balances out to climatology.

Archived