Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA - Early December

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok RGEM just is insane. I hope to god this would never happen. lol 

Been pretty consistent with that too over the past day or two.  Scary... people are underestimating things right now here because the roads aren't too bad despite ~3" on the ground.  If we go to ZR things could get really nasty out there.

Just made a pit stop in Milroy on the way back to Bellefonte. 1.5" on the ground with steady snow. 322 is messy...now to run the Seven Mountains gauntlet.

Good luck Penn! Not fun with all that weight.

Been snowing here since about 1:00 am maybe 2" on the ground. First real snow of the season for me.

Yes. lol. That's like 1.5-2" of freezing rain. There is no way... cause if so well ya we fooked. 

I've seen 1.25" zr once in my life, New Years Eve/Day 2001 in East Texas. It was catastrophic to entire forests, utilities and some outbuildings. Anything .75" and over when talking about zr is extremely bad. Hell, .5" will cause major issues by itself.

I've seen 1.25" zr once in my life, New Years Eve/Day 2001 in East Texas. It was catastrophic to entire forests, utilities and some outbuildings. Anything .75" and over when talking about zr is extremely bad. Hell, .5" will cause major issues by itself.

the model is assuming all precip freezes too... the rainfall rates would be too high for all of it to accrete but would still be significant if .25-.5" instead of 1.5-2" anyway

Heavy freezing rain falling at 30F and above runs off a lot of the time before it freezes. So the actual accretion will be less than that. Also, there's no cold air source to keep replenishing the cold air. So a lot of locations might just rise to 33 and have plain rain.

Being in Philly for the week, of course there would be quite the interesting storm unfolding for Central PA!  :rolleyes:

Just realize that those ice accumulation maps the RGEM is spitting out are highly unlikely to occur across 90% of the area it shows. Simply because moderate/heavy rain will not be able to freeze quickly enough with these marginal 31-32F temperatures. Areas just to the west who will stay a few degrees cooler and sit in less heavy precip has a chance for more serious ice accrual.  

Currently at work in Mechanicsburg.  My PWS at home currently measuring 30.7/27.9 with light freezing rain.  I know it is freezing because my rain gauge says 0.00".  Earlier today I recorded only a dusting of snow at best.  Not even 0.10".  Cars were coated and my deck out back and that was about it for areas with any accumulations.

The area between Zack (in Greencastle, about 25 miles southwest of me) and me in northern Carlisle typically hold on to the cold almost the longest in ZR situations in the Blue Mountain area.  It will be interesting to see just how long we stay below freezing.  My guess would be that as soon as the heavier rainfall arrives the temp will slowly rise up to and then above freezing.  I'm wondering how much snowfall we might see on the back end tomorrow.  I have plans to travel east to NJ for Thanksgiving with my sisters and we are supposed to depart around 2:00 tomorrow afternoon.  Wonder what roads will be like around here.  Not too worried about points well east on 78.

Archived