e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA - Early December

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I surprisingly have moderate snow currently. Visibility is down to 1/2 mile and accumulating.

I was suppose to drive to Johnstown for a meeting tomorrow morning but I was able to cancel and will hold the meeting by conference call tomorrow am. Let me know how they make out in Johnstown if you are going to be there.

Ya I am here through Saturday. It is coming down hard here too. Ground already getting white. 30 degrees. 

Light snow falling with another burst of heavier snow nearby that's about to move in. CTP has my grids changed now with 1-2" overnight and 1-3" today before changeover to rain/freezing rain Tuesday Night and then the snow on Wednesday. I think this early onset of established precip has raised the snow stakes a bit and opened the door to a potential quick thump of a few inches in a lot more central PA spots than it was looking like initially. 

Updated CTP map:

post-1507-0-26214200-1385454674_thumb.pn

Crappy part...too far east for snow, too far west for warm temps. 32<x<40 and rain can [the rest of this post has been deleted by The Partnership for a Profanity-Laced-Rant-Free AmWx.]

I was thinking that as well, but decideed not to post about it....lol

Anyway, no snow here as of yet, but radar indicates a band of virga/light snow just off to my northwest as of 5:00AM. Temp has held steady overnight at 30 degrees. One thing I haven't seen mentioned. Is there enough dynamics with this system to produce any thunderstorms, or are we looking at just a plain old soaking rain in the east and snow in the west?

Light snow in Tamaqua that started about 6:00AM. Coating on the ground. Temp 29 degrees. Did anyone see CTP's facebook post with the snow map overlayed with changeover times? Pretty cool that they took the effort to do that as it helps with knowing what to expect throughout the day and the storm itself. I hope they continue to do it in the future.

Current returns over norlanco appear to be virga. Driving under it right now and nothing is making it to the ground.

Per radar, it appears that the band is breaking up and dissipating as it moves east-northeast through the central mountains and into the Poconos. It does appear to be rebuilding out in the Pittsburgh and southwest part of the state though.

Surface features down south this morning seem to be generally a good 25-50 miles east of where the 06z Hi-Res NAM had them. So does the mid/upper level cloud field over the midwest. The Euro seems to be doing a better job, but even there, features are 1-3 hours further east/progressed than modeled. Don't know if that means a whole lot, but I did think it was interesting to note.

Archived