12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Central PA - Early December

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

an fyi to keep in mind... dont forget that when it may appear as if there is precip on the backside that could be snow, most of those maps show total precip over 3 or 6 hour period when temperature profile is at that present time... sometimes yes it may have temperatures favorable for that whole 3 or 6 hour period but sometimes not... also with an elongated fast moving system like this one I just dont see much developing on the backside that is not generated by Lake Effect other than a quick dusting to an inch for the areas that wind up nearly all rain...

an fyi to keep in mind... dont forget that when it may appear as if there is precip on the backside that could be snow, most of those maps show total precip over 3 or 6 hour period when temperature profile is at that present time... sometimes yes it may have temperatures favorable for that whole 3 or 6 hour period but sometimes not... also with an elongated fast moving system like this one I just dont see much developing on the backside that is not generated by Lake Effect other than a quick dusting to an inch for the areas that wind up nearly all rain...

Agreed...backside potential is minimal at best for those outside the lake effect snow regions.  Never hang your hat on the wrap around potential.

Right...but in our case, it's snow as modeled. From the NAM, for example, the .17 that falls from 1-7 pm and probably some of the .13 that falls is definitely snow. I know what you are saying, but in our case that's definitely modeled as snow. See below: 

WED 1P 27-NOV 0.1 -4.5 995 93 99 0.13 538 543

WED 7P 27-NOV -1.2 -8.1 1000 90 81 0.17 528 528

THU 1A 28-NOV -4.9 -12.1 1010 82 68 0.01 527 519 

Good thing to keep in mind, though, the precip is usually previous 6-hour precip and the temp lines are right at that moment. 

Agreed...backside potential is minimal at best for those outside the lake effect snow regions.  Never hang your hat on the wrap around potential.

I don't think this is wrap around but the trailing ULL. 

Right...but in our case, it's snow as modeled. From the NAM, for example, the .17 that falls from 1-7 pm and probably some of the .13 that falls is definitely snow. I know what you are saying, but in our case that's definitely modeled as snow. See below: 

Ratio's probably won't be that great.

Man I was pretty much throwing in the towel on this one... damn Euro weenie maps drawing me back in... still showing nearly 6" for KUNV plus I assume some icing as well.... really don't know what to think! Will be interesting to see CTP's update this afternoon.

I agree it will be interesting to see what CPT has to say. Sounds like it is going to be a sloppy mess.

How much wind are we suppose to get with this event?

Those are WxBell maps and are not that good. 

Oh yeah those snow maps busted bad several times last year on these slop events.  Regardless I think we'll see something a little more wintry than this current forecast...

Tuesday Night:  Rain. Low around 30. East wind 6 to 8 mph becoming north after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

CTP must be pulling their hair out right now.  Talk about a challenging forecast.  For here at least, I'm expecting WWA for 1-3" front end, changing to sleet/rain... question is will it go back to snow before shutting off?

LWX has ADV out for up to 1" sleet/snow and .10" ice. I would guess CTP would have that come over into the southern counties. 

Good thing to keep in mind, though, the precip is usually previous 6-hour precip and the temp lines are right at that moment. 

Right, in this case it would be all snow but just didnt want people who are here trying to learn to see us post those kind of maps and then think it is true for all cases...

This is interesting ...

post-285-0-82552900-1385406949_thumb.gif

Current MOS error from 12z run this morning for 18z today (1:00 eastern)... the positive numbers show MOS forecast temps being too warm as we have noticed here in the east with current temperatures below forecasted values so far today... negative numbers are where current temperatures are warmer than MOS forecasted values... MOS/models are running way too cold in the Midwest and too warm in most of the east as we have noticed with current temperatures below forecasted values here in PA...

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~fxg1/MOSERR_CURRENT/framecur.html

Main concern is for icing. A degree is probably going to make a difference. Are we going to sit at 33 or 32 is the question. 

and that is what is so dangerous for the public... leave home and it be 33 and raining and think nothing of conditions a mile or two away that may be that degree colder

Archived