e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA - Early December

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per radar, it appears that the band is breaking up and dissipating as it moves east-northeast through the central mountains and into the Poconos. It does appear to be rebuilding out in the Pittsburgh and southwest part of the state though.

dew point temp has already climbed up to about 30 around pittsburgh... slowly starting to climb in eastern half of state

Radar looking very good for us true Central PA folks, solid band of snow to our west and looking at PIT's radar, the southern precip appears to be catching up.

Already an overperformer for UNV, no doubt about that. 

Yep, we've gotten lucky with several narrow bands (up to almost 3" as you said), and it doesn't look like the snow is going to let up much (and may even get somewhat heavier) before the changeover. Here's to 7 to 9 more hours of snow!

Yep, we've gotten lucky with several narrow bands (up to almost 3" as you said), and it doesn't look like the snow is going to let up much (and may even get somewhat heavier) before the changeover. Here's to 7 to 9 more hours of snow!

Wonder how long it lasts before changeover. I think this storm will have some tricks up its sleeve for us and probably not all of them good. 

For those that have missed out on the frontal snows from this morning (Lower Susq Valley). Surface wet bulb temps are below freezing all the way into MD...on track to start as snow/sleet before the changeover. I'd be happy for some "mood flakes" at this point. Have yet to see any flurries here in Lancaster this season!

post-5336-0-15051500-1385473480_thumb.pn

Wonder how long it lasts before changeover. I think this storm will have some tricks up its sleeve for us and probably not all of them good. 

HRRR has 850 0C line moving north by 11/noon for MDT, 1-2pm AOO, 2-4pm UNV... a concern about that is the AOO/UNV/etc areas that are establishing a snow pack already could cause the chilled rain later to form instant ice on top of the snow... so what if say UNV region has snow then a layer of ice then turns back to snow tomorrow?

For those that have missed out on the frontal snows from this morning (Lower Susq Valley). Surface wet bulb temps are below freezing all the way into MD...on track to start as snow/sleet before the changeover. I'd be happy for some "mood flakes" at this point. Have yet to see any flurries here in Lancaster this season!

Thanks again for your input, your posts here are very much appreciated!

Surface features down south this morning seem to be generally a good 25-50 miles east of where the 06z Hi-Res NAM had them. So does the mid/upper level cloud field over the midwest. The Euro seems to be doing a better job, but even there, features are 1-3 hours further east/progressed than modeled. Don't know if that means a whole lot, but I did think it was interesting to note.

It could mean a good bit for our particular region (JST/AOO/UNV region) which is already on the fence with marginal temps throughout this storm. Last nights Euro had already cooled off some from the past couple runs, barely getting UNV above freezing at 850 ( 6 hr frames of 0.9, 1.7, and 0.3C). AccuPro offers cross section analysis for the model runs now so I took a cross section from Pittsburgh to Allentown and that illustrated just how close it was in the central part of the state.

It's gonna be an interesting battle to watch unfold today, warm air advection aloft could and prob will eventually win the day at some point... but we're already within the shield of more consistent precip. There's no miller B type handoff with a low heading to the lakes transferring to a coastal with this event, just a low running from the Gulf and up the coast...so the warm air push comes more from the south/southeast. If features end up a little bit further east that could mean that warm push aloft stays more relegated to eastern PA and our region remains snow for a good bit longer. 

This is a pleasant surprise for me. I would have guessed last night nothing would be a lot more likely than 2-3"

Yup, definitely nice. Hopefully it lasts for you guys. Looks like even after it changes over, the temp won't get much above 34, so there won't be all that much melting (if it's not a torrential rain). Then there might be a deform zone that develops and could deliver several more inches of snow. So all in all, it could still be a nice event out your way.

Yup, definitely nice. Hopefully it lasts for you guys. Looks like even after it changes over, the temp won't get much above 34, so there won't be all that much melting (if it's not a torrential rain). Then there might be a deform zone that develops and could deliver several more inches of snow. So all in all, it could still be a nice event out your way.

It could mean a good bit for our particular region (JST/AOO/UNV region) which is already on the fence with marginal temps throughout this storm. Last nights Euro had already cooled off some from the past couple runs, barely getting UNV above freezing at 850 ( 6 hr frames of 0.9, 1.7, and 0.3C). AccuPro offers cross section analysis for the model runs now so I took a cross section from Pittsburgh to Allentown and that illustrated just how close it was in the central part of the state.

It's gonna be an interesting battle to watch unfold today, warm air advection aloft could and prob will eventually win the day at some point... but we're already within the shield of more consistent precip. There's no miller B type handoff with a low heading to the lakes transferring to a coastal with this event, just a low running from the Gulf and up the coast...so the warm air push comes more from the south/southeast. If features end up a little bit further east that could mean that warm push aloft stays more relegated to eastern PA and our region remains snow for a good bit longer. 

The only thing that bugs me is if we get a freaking glacier around the house...ugh. 

The only thing that bugs me is if we get a freaking glacier around the house...ugh. 

It looks like a pretty big mess, we're not gonna see temps get past 35 at any point in this event and it might not even get that far. CTP bumped up their snow map again a couple hours ago after I posted the one that was updated around 4am. They have us getting warning totals now (6-8"). Not bad for starting in the 1-2" range haha. 

post-1507-0-70888800-1385474751_thumb.pn

Nam shows a lot of freezing precip!

I'm starting to wonder if some of the favored locations never get above 32 and get tons of freezing rain (west of the Susq. Valley). The WAA doesn't look especially strong near the ground, and some of the sheltered/valley locations might be stuck below freezing. Usually, UNV or AOO sneaks above freezing but some of the outlying areas may not.

I'm starting to wonder if some of the favored locations never get above 32 and get tons of freezing rain (west of the Susq. Valley). The WAA doesn't look especially strong near the ground, and some of the sheltered/valley locations might be stuck below freezing. Usually, UNV or AOO sneaks above freezing but some of the outlying areas may not.

especially with some of these places already at 2-3"+ and a few more hours to go before temps are expected to warm... thick clouds, fresh snow, and continuous precip won't let surface temps rise much more than a degree or two in the area you are referring to

Archived