e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA - Early December

MAG5035

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could mean a good bit for our particular region (JST/AOO/UNV region) which is already on the fence with marginal temps throughout this storm. Last nights Euro had already cooled off some from the past couple runs, barely getting UNV above freezing at 850 ( 6 hr frames of 0.9, 1.7, and 0.3C). AccuPro offers cross section analysis for the model runs now so I took a cross section from Pittsburgh to Allentown and that illustrated just how close it was in the central part of the state.

It's gonna be an interesting battle to watch unfold today, warm air advection aloft could and prob will eventually win the day at some point... but we're already within the shield of more consistent precip. There's no miller B type handoff with a low heading to the lakes transferring to a coastal with this event, just a low running from the Gulf and up the coast...so the warm air push comes more from the south/southeast. If features end up a little bit further east that could mean that warm push aloft stays more relegated to eastern PA and our region remains snow for a good bit longer.

Mag, I would imagine a 25-50 mile jog east would be massive for me, correct... Just north of downtown pittsburgh. Right now, I am looking at some mixing issues, and probably 4-8 inches. However, 50 miles west they are looking at all snow and approaching a foot. Would that jog give us a better shot at all snow?

It could mean a good bit for our particular region (JST/AOO/UNV region) which is already on the fence with marginal temps throughout this storm. Last nights Euro had already cooled off some from the past couple runs, barely getting UNV above freezing at 850 ( 6 hr frames of 0.9, 1.7, and 0.3C). AccuPro offers cross section analysis for the model runs now so I took a cross section from Pittsburgh to Allentown and that illustrated just how close it was in the central part of the state.

It's gonna be an interesting battle to watch unfold today, warm air advection aloft could and prob will eventually win the day at some point... but we're already within the shield of more consistent precip. There's no miller B type handoff with a low heading to the lakes transferring to a coastal with this event, just a low running from the Gulf and up the coast...so the warm air push comes more from the south/southeast. If features end up a little bit further east that could mean that warm push aloft stays more relegated to eastern PA and our region remains snow for a good bit longer. 

To illustrate what I'm talking about, here's the 12z NAM winds for 14z:

post-300-0-76650100-1385476843_thumb.gif

And here's reality:

post-300-0-24402700-1385476868_thumb.gif

You can clearly see that the front/wind shift is quite a bit further east than progged, even by the 12z NAM.

Not sure if it makes any real difference, though, because if it's JUST surface features, we're well to the west of the surface front at all times up here anyway. The real question is whether the 850mb flow is also shifted east of where it's modeled to be.

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

1021 AM EST TUE NOV 26 2013

...WINTER WEATHER IMPACTING PRE-THANKSGIVING TRAVEL...

PAZ057-059-065-066-262100-

/O.EXB.KCTP.WW.Y.0021.000000T0000Z-131126T2100Z/

DAUPHIN-LEBANON-YORK-LANCASTER-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...HARRISBURG...HERSHEY...LEBANON...YORK...

LANCASTER

1021 AM EST TUE NOV 26 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THIS

AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE HAS ISSUED A WINTER

WEATHER ADVISORY FOR MIXED WINTRY PRECIPITATION...WHICH IS IN

EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.

* LOCATIONS...LOWER SUSQUEHANNA VALLEY.

* HAZARD TYPES...WINTRY MIX OF SNOW...SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...LESS THAN 1 INCH OF SNOW AND SLEET. LESS THAN

0.10 OF AN INCH OF ICE.

* TIMING...WINTRY MIX WILL CHANGE TO RAIN THIS AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL.

Coworker reports icing in southern York.

To illustrate what I'm talking about...

You can clearly see that the front/wind shift is quite a bit further east than progged, even by the 12z NAM.

Not sure if it makes any real difference, though, because if it's JUST surface features, we're well to the west of the surface front at all times up here anyway. The real question is whether the 850mb flow is also shifted east of where it's modeled to be.

Just checked the 12z 850mb sounding map vs. the Euro and the NAM. Looks like the NAM is too far west and too warm at 850mb. The Euro is almost spot on, though. Some areas (eastern VA down through northern GA) are warmer than the Euro, while some (western NC up through southwestern OH) are cooler.

Man if we had good blocking this storm would be frickin' legendary.  Truly, truly a wasted storm.  It's just depressing, but still enjoy the flackage for those of you N&W of I-81!

It's one of those "too little, too late" patterns for much of the Northeast, where a storm does get its act together but too late for it to be a truly major winter storm unless you're near the Canadian border or north. It will still be a nasty one though for many on the Appalachian spine and west.

Just made a pit stop in Milroy on the way back to Bellefonte. 1.5" on the ground with steady snow. 322 is messy...now to run the Seven Mountains gauntlet.

I was confused about how you originally wrote "Mildly"; not knowing where it was, I typed that into the search field on the NWS site, and it turns out that it's a place in Lycoming county, a little east of Jersey Shore.  Milroy definitely makes more sense if you are on 322.  

Yep, looks very borderline for I-99, Rt. 220. Could still be some surprises for sure. Maybe latent heating from fast ice accretion saves it from being a widespread damaging ice storm.

Surprising thing is temps are still falling. Was at 34 at my house now 31.9. A few places might get some pretty bad ice. 

It's one of those "too little, too late" patterns for much of the Northeast, where a storm does get its act together but too late for it to be a truly major winter storm unless you're near the Canadian border or north. It will still be a nasty one though for many on the Appalachian spine and west.

Meh..I didn't expect what we got so far so this is a win for snowlovers around here.

Archived