joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting people asking me questions about a possible blizzard next week or major snowstorm :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  

This time of year can be so ridiculous when it comes to weather.  A computer model will show some crazy solution and social media goes nuts and then some forecasters out there will also make mention and then all hell breaks loose.  :facepalm: 

TWC partly to blame.

Social media as well.  Like the facebook group, Northeast Storm Center...what a joke.  Posting an image of Euro snowfall map for next week and it's creating a major buzz.  

Why don't people pay closer attention to what matters most, upper air pattern and synoptics rather than graphical outputs of garbage?

TWC partly to blame.

Social media as well. Like the facebook group, Northeast Storm Center...what a joke. Posting an image of Euro snowfall map for next week and it's creating a major buzz.

Why don't people pay closer attention to what matters most, upper air pattern and synoptics rather than graphical outputs of garbage?

Lol. Like you don't hump severe a week out....

Lol. Like you don't hump severe a week out....

I don't go around on social media saying we're getting tornadoes or widespread wind damage, or destructive hail.  

I may go crazy a bit on here but not to the public.  I also try my best to clarify that not everyone will see storms or strong storms or sever weather but that any storm that does develop could have the potential to reach those limits.  

I did, however, leading up to 6/1 post images on facebook of hodographs 

Social media as well. Like the facebook group, Northeast Storm Center...what a joke. Posting an image of Euro snowfall map for next week and it's creating a major buzz.

Well, respected mets (by some) like DT post model output. That grabs the attention. Only then do people (possibly) read the fine print

I don't go around on social media saying we're getting tornadoes or widespread wind damage, or destructive hail.  

I may go crazy a bit on here but not to the public.  I also try my best to clarify that not everyone will see storms or strong storms or sever weather but that any storm that does develop could have the potential to reach those limits.  

I did, however, leading up to 6/1 post images on facebook of hodographs 

I am sure that got a lot of folks scratching their head when they saw that

That was an interesting read from the OPI guys. It sounds like the window is open for some colder wx perhaps not just in December either. I guess we'll see. Lots of things also argue for a milder December. Although, weeklies are starting to cool in early December.

Just as long as it's not an all torch kind of winter.  Although, even in the warmest of winters, it's still difficult not to get a colder period, even if it's brief.  Too be honest though, given our latitude, all I really care about is how active the storm pattern is.  Even if we are around normal to slightly above, we can still do very well in the snow department b/c of our latitude.  

Even if it is mainly warm, it all depends too on what occurs in the transition phases.  If Dec comes in above-average overall but we had a transition period where it was average to slightly below, and that period delivers quite well, does it matter if the month ended with a positive temp departure?

Well, respected mets (by some) like DT post model output. That grabs the attention. Only then do people (possibly) read the fine print

I find nothing wrong with posting model images but something like a model snowfall graphic is just terrible b/c you can have the greatest discussion ever, people aren't going to read it.  Post like a 500mb image instead.  If I was a met forecasting for the public, what I would be doing is mention there is potential for a stormy period next week, however, at this time the details aren't very clear but we will continue to monitor as as details become clearer to us, we will keep you updated."

I am sure that got a lot of folks scratching their head when they saw that

Definitely lol

Lol...and then you missed it literally selling hot dogs.

:lol:

That was an interesting read from the OPI guys. It sounds like the window is open for some colder wx perhaps not just in December either. I guess we'll see. Lots of things also argue for a milder December. Although, weeklies are starting to cool in early December.

It sure was interesting, looks like a winner. I mean pretty much showing what is happening now, AK ridge, NW territories feed in the NE. Anectodal on my part but familiar to my 60 s memories. Cold with some mild ups, Alberta Clippers and Miller Bs

I despise that fine print stuff. Post Euro snow maps with 2 feet then say, "this isn't my forecast, just saying." Well then why post it? Clearly it was so people would see it, think storm, and start following your personal forecast. Not everyone is as well informed as the posters on this board, they don't know any better when it comes to the info they see online.

This "event" isn't really even on my radar yet anyway, it's just throwing darts at this point. I would much rather spend some time looking at 290 K isentrope to look at possible snowfall Saturday night. Unfortunately, that upglide is mostly located over NNE so I can see how there is lament for the majority of this forum.

Well today my first 6+ euro prog of the season.

But to me the bigger issue is the shot of snow on virtually all guidance d4-5.

I don't see much of anything happening then, but I'll take whatever I can get.

What does seem to be close to a lock is the depth of the cold next week.  Anything else will be a bonus.

Well pin the tail on where this ends up for next 3 days

Yup. 

29.9/25

Archived