joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a classic Novie day ....  44F, with dark bases moving quickly passed, occasionally pinging a graupel ball or two.   It just hearkens so well to what's in store.  Love it.  

This could be the first autumn in a long time that for the most part has behaved as we remember growing up.   

How the fuk do you know that?  Seriously people have been talking synoptics like it's mid winter.  It's not.  Flurries are a win this time of year.

I think part of that is that the last 5 years have mutated awareness, existentially...   ;)   People are not inventing the events that have happened... It has snowed in a lot of Octobers and Novembers since ... the year 2000, really.  For some posters, that might be most of their lives.   For others, it's still enough of a sample set to set thinking along the lines of better probability for snow in the autumn -- even if they would be incorrect over say ... 100 years worth of data. 

In other words, I don't think that's taking place in a vacuum, Jerry.  Good folks, with good intent, have dealt with more than just a handful of early snows as of the last decade, enough so that it might tend to morph awareness/perspective on things.   

I have heard Sandy mentioned -- though I don't know what the conservation was about, do folks remember that a mere week after Sandy (or so) there was a nor-easter with heavy snow?

This could be the first autumn in a long time that for the most part has behaved as we remember growing up.   

You know I was thinking about the philosophy of this the other day.  We sort of collectively live in virtual universe with the weather.  Meaning ... modeled this and that.  We spend the majority of our time(s) immersed in reams of modeling output, then ... converting those outputs to a mental picture over what it could all sensibly mean.

Meanwhile, reality is just over the shoulder, out the window, passing by, as we work toward the through future days.  

What I am getting at is, our "memories" of events/times of the current era(s) are often tainted by the perspective of having seen the world through that virtual lens provided by technology.   Looking back over the last 20 days or so, it seems we've had a lot of extremes.  But, even I admit to an epiphany:  wait, those are model runs I am remembering!   Lol.  Fascinating, but we have been through a modeled super ridges with Indian Summers, and now ...deep trough and early snow storm... It's all been so exciting yet ... what do we have to show for it is merely a normal autumn.  

So far ... and yes, it does appeal that way.  It prompted me to go take a quick look at the F-6 data at BOX and 3 out of the 4 majors are less than a single degree departure so far for Novie.  Granted we are only talking 8 days ... October was ~1.5 plus.  There are some swings in temp in there, but by and large we are kind of just doing the normal autumn oscillatory dance.  

The story will be the cold...Euro actually trended colder with -12C 850 temps over SNE. That is about as cold as it can get this time of year.

It still has a little band of snow just behind the arctic front. So many might see their first coating of the year if it works out.

you have lost it completely, take a break man.

Nice low at 144 , what happens to it?????

Most of us have been saying why it will be difficult to get this storm and so far, it's behaving that way. If you are expecting something significant..it's certainly not me losing it. The NYC weenies are certainly a unique bunch.

Most of us have been saying why it will be difficult to get this storm and so far, it's behaving that way. If you are expecting something significant..it's certainly not me losing it. The NYC weenies are certainly a unique bunch.

Oh it was NYC LOL, dude you can be confusing. This forum has been pretty steadfast on the reality of an occasional run showing a bomb. Just trying to figure out who you were talking to in that post.

Archived