• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

I remember that flash freeze well. I was walking to work and hit black ice and did a full Dixie. Didn't hit my head but I recall thinking "now I know why the old folks go to FL"

A few days later I headed to DFW ultimately getting stranded and missing one of the great December storms.

I have a really poor memory of storms.   I hope I did well in Worcester with that.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm saying that the cold shot brings a period of snow even for low elevation and coastlines on Tuesday, temps will be falling throughout the day and as front passes, precip blossoms for a period before moving offshore.  NAM is beginning to show our storm period, it has it offshore now.  If the disturbance can become detached from the main vortex at H5, chances are better for it closing off, but chances are real slim right now.  I'd wait for December 15th and beyond before any real snow chances for the coastline.

18z gfs has the ground whitener Tuesday morning. Nice and normal way for things to continue down the path towards actual winter next month and beyond hopefully.

Some rare post frontal frontogenesis aloft. Bit of a conditionally unstable area near 500mb. I think because of the srn s/w really starting to amp up, it's slowing down and sharpening the trough which aids in this whole process. Some of this may be wasted in rain at the onset, but verbatim at least flakes falling even on the coast.

I'm saying that the cold shot brings a period of snow even for low elevation and coastlines on Tuesday, temps will be falling throughout the day and as front passes, precip blossoms for a period before moving offshore. NAM is beginning to show our storm period, it has it offshore now. If the disturbance can become detached from the main vortex at H5, chances are better for it closing off, but chances are real slim right now. I'd wait for December 15th and beyond before any real snow chances for the coastline.

Dec 15 is prob close to climo for some on the coast?

There have been early DEcember late November snowstorms of the past, but for the most part December 15th seems like a good mark for when it starts getting real winter cold here on the coastline.  With the exception of some air mass that are cold and arctic in nature like the one for Tuesday.  I think the Gulf Stream aids in the temperature gradient for a strong surface low formation, but it seems to be too far offshore to matter at all.

Euro ensembles are starting to show some pretty big changes in the very extended...the negative EPO looks like it might be returning, but this time with a more positive PNA...and there's a hint of a -NAO as well. This is like D14-15 though so we'll have to see how this looks over the next 3-5 days when it gets into a little more skillful range for the ensembles.

However, if this came to fruition, we would transition into a much colder regime the week of Thanksgiving and beyond. We'll see if it has any legs going forward.

Euro ensembles are starting to show some pretty big changes in the very extended...the negative EPO looks like it might be returning, but this time with a more positive PNA...and there's a hint of a -NAO as well. This is like D14-15 though so we'll have to see how this looks over the next 3-5 days when it gets into a little more skillful range for the ensembles.

However, if this came to fruition, we would transition into a much colder regime the week of Thanksgiving and beyond. We'll see if it has any legs going forward.

They've been showing that for about 24 hrs so hopefully they are correct. Today's run was the best yet because it cut off Pacific flow and turned to the flow more NW out of Canada.

They've been showing that for about 24 hrs so hopefully they are correct. Today's run was the best yet because it cut off Pacific flow and turned to the flow more NW out of Canada.

Yeah I noticed a hint of it last night, but today was definitely better looking. That would actually be a very cold pattern for the central and eastern CONUS going forward if it came to fruition and extrapolate beyond that.

But obvioiusly we'll have to wait and see how it develops. We've seen these pattern changes before either get pushed back or not happen quite as advertised.

What do red tagged posters think about chances of 1-2 inches on Tuesday morning if we can get a little atlantic inflow?

Not optimistic about 1-2 inches, but I think we might be able to pull off a coating...maybe even a half inch somewhere? If the trough sharpens a little more than progged, then perhaps we could pull off a bit more.

Thrilled Kevin's back actually.

Nice to hear euro ensembles threatens deep winter early December. GOAK ssta in September. This method works uber alles.

The pattern is not being denied, our now warm shots turn colder each week, the cold shots are still climo cold. what we need are storms. Thinks are pretty much as we discussed several times over the last three months.

Put that flag away and run!

LOL, well  there is some tropical support so I do think it's possible we see that pattern happen. It's an interesting battle because it's a big cold black hole over eastern Siberia into nrn AK which is what we don't want, but you won't always have a direct connection to that either. It certainly can and does have an effect, but other factors can overpower it. I'm not really sold on that heralding in the dogs of winter quite yet. You can always have a week to 10 days days of fun and then crap to follow.

Archived