joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MJO seems to be struggling a bit. Looks like some convection favored in IO but models are all over the place... not very coherent with it.

Yeah mixed signals although euro and ukie try to show some favorable forecasts and they are more skilled (which doesn't mean a heck of

A lot in MJO forecasting).

Both the Euro and GFS ensembles are in really good agreement through D15.

Looks like cold shot Tue/Wed followed by an extended moderating trend. Not huge torch but probably an extended period AOA. Seems like the pattern becomes more favorable by Thanksgiving week but even if we flip a -NAO and get some blocking there won't be a ton of cold air over Canada to tap initially.

Yep agree. Hoping December develops like the weeklies show.

I will say ,, when I was banished to solitary confinement all the talk and worry was a brutal Nov torch. Then several cold shots popped up due to typhoons recurving and waves breaking. Then a small snow event with local inches or so appeared and the warm mid Nov turned into a day or 2 near 50. Maybe it's too early but it sure seems like things are really breaking our way in the face of what models / energy mets were saying. Usually things trend worse but so far things have trended better.

I agree, seemed as things were looking pretty unfavorable. Now everyday that passes the outlook seems more positive, hopefully we can get coating to an inch Tuesday morning

not every one was on the torch bandwagon

But everyone was on the bandwagon of a period of warmer weather.

That still looks like a good bet, though we certainly may be closer to normal than I originally thought. There will certainly be some warmer days thrown in there, but we may luck out more than folks just southwest of here.

That still looks like a good bet, though we certainly may be closer to normal than I originally thought. There will certainly be some warmer days thrown in there, but we may luck out more than folks just southwest of here.

Yep cooler than originally thought, but I hope people aren't just going to assume every warmer period from here on out will be muted.

yep that's true, most agree on the mid month mild up but there were a bunch of posts calling for a November torch

I'm getting fairly confident of a positive AO winter...most signs point to that right now. However, that doesn't mean we still cannot have fun. 2007-2008, 1992-1993, 1983-1984, 1975-1976, and 1956-1957...and believe it or not 2004-2005 and 2008-2009 were slight +AO winters as defined by DJF...but 2005 had a big -AO in March if you include that month.

Keep the big ugly vortex away from the EPO region, and we can still have our fun...esp with latitude.

I would welcome another 2007-08 if we could lock that in right now, Latitude definitely has its advantages

:weenie:

Jealous about that though. Can't wait to see some flakes in the air here... probably will have to wait a while.

it's accumulating on the deck but nowhere else. Not sure how long it lasts...not much room to wetbulb down. Had a low of 32 about 8 pm now its up to 35. Nice to see though.

Doesn't appear to be reflected much via QPF output but a few hours before dawn or so, the GFS has a spike in VV's along with decent RH values in the llvls...perhaps there could be a little blossom of precip across SW MA into northern CT (obviously dependent on where the stronger lift occurs) but something to keep an eye on. 

Doesn't appear to be reflected much via QPF output but a few hours before dawn or so, the GFS has a spike in VV's along with decent RH values in the llvls...perhaps there could be a little blossom of precip across SW MA into northern CT (obviously dependent on where the stronger lift occurs) but something to keep an eye on. 

That boundary is going to get a jolt as it gets closer to the ocean/coast.

Cmc has a decent whitener for Tuesday am. It's going to be interesting to see if this works. My own recollection is the majority of November snows in the first half of the month come via the low probability anafrontal pathway along the coast.

00Z GEM and 00Z Euro are pretty much alike as well in regards to snow for Tuesday AM. Low level VV's aren't too impressive though imo.

seems like a long shot but would be nice! 

MON NIGHT INTO TUE...
STRONG ARCTIC SHORTWAVE WILL BE DIVING S FROM NRN
CANADA...DRAGGING A STRONG SFC COLD FRONT THROUGH THE REGION. THE
MAIN FRONT WILL BE SLIDING THROUGH BETWEEN 00Z AND 12Z TUE PER THE
SLOWER SOLUTION...BUT STILL NOT STRONG MID LVL F-GEN AND DEEP
LAYER MOISTURE BEHIND THE FRONT INTO EARLY TUE. ALSO...AM NOTING
STRONG LOW LVL LAPSE RATES IN THE COLD ADVECTION REGIME BEHIND THE
FRONT. THIS MIX OF FORCING/MOISTURE/INSTABILITY SUGGESTS THE
POSSIBILITY OF RAIN SQUALLS WHICH MAY HAVE ENOUGH DYNAMIC COOLING
TO SHIFT TO SNOW...ESPECIALLY DURING THE COOL EARLY MORNING
HOURS. SHOULD THERE BE ANY BRIEF SNOW SQUALL DEVELOPMENT...SOME
ACCUM IS POSSIBLE EVEN ON THE WARM SFC TEMPS FOR NOVEMBER AND MAY