• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

I was talking about the forecasts, but those forecasts for strat temps aren't all that accurate either.  Also noting these temps cooling once we lost the typhoon recurves.

I like the warming going on over the NAO.  

Yeah, I recall our speculating that the west Pac typhoon dump might be related to the warming.  Have to see where this goes...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The euro ensembles show an interesting late 11-15 day. It's got a short wavelength pattern in the Pacific...that is ridge moving into the Bering Sea, trough in AK and then another ridge just off the west coast of the US. Full latitude trough develops from Hudson bay to the Gulf of Mexico with the pipeline of cold ready to move into the Plains. We look to be on the edge here in new England, but looks more volatile during that time. We may see the cold move in if we were to extrapolate beyond hr 360.

I asked Ryan but he never answered..When does the pattern turn wet or are we looking at another record dry month?

I asked Ryan but he never answered..When does the pattern turn wet or are we looking at another record dry month?

Well maybe towards the end of the month? It depends what happens to the low progged to go west of us in the 8-10 day timeframe. Does it go west of us with 0.2" of rain with fropa or does it stall nearby?

Also temper your torches on end of week and weekend warmth. There's a pretty good inversion in place thru at least Saturday..so it might be one of those deals with light winds, low sun angle. and no mixing that the days stay in the 45-50 degree range and radiators get cold at night..while hilltops stay above 32. if i had to guess I'd say there's 1-2 days much above sometime next week ahead of that strong soueaster...and then strong arctic fropa day 10-11 or so

I will say ,, when I was banished to solitary confinement all the talk and worry was a brutal Nov torch. Then several cold shots popped up due to typhoons recurving and waves breaking. Then a small snow event with local inches or so appeared and the warm mid Nov turned into a day or 2 near 50. Maybe it's too early but it sure seems like things are really breaking our way in the face of what models / energy mets were saying. Usually things trend worse but so far things have trended better.

Everyone was calling at or above normal with a possible torch

Also temper your torches on end of week and weekend warmth. There's a pretty good inversion in place thru at least Saturday..so it might be one of those deals with light winds, low sun angle. and no mixing that the days stay in the 45-50 degree range and radiators get cold at night..while hilltops stay above 32. if i had to guess I'd say there's 1-2 days much above sometime next week ahead of that strong soueaster...and then strong arctic fropa day 10-11 or so

I would agree about the end of week....true torch isn't progged until early next week. Boy Tuesday and Wed will be cold. 18z GFS a little more juiced predawn Tuesday.

I would agree about the end of week....true torch isn't progged until early next week. Boy Tuesday and Wed will be cold. 18z GFS a little more juiced predawn Tuesday.

Yup... could whiten  the hilltowns.

As for the "torch" yeah I think we warm slowly... but by next weekend things start getting mild. Could put up some double digit positive departures. 

12z Euro Ens keeps +EPO around too through D15. At least it pops a +PNA but it doesn't look overly cold by D15.

It had a nice trough diving into the Plains so hopefully that would swing east if you extrapolate it out. Dangerous thing to do..lol.  With all the uncertainty, I'm still thinking maybe until near T day or after if we see any notable changes...but it doesn't mean a cool shot can't come before. I still think there is that light at the end of the tunnel you mention.

It had a nice trough diving into the Plains so hopefully that would swing east if you extrapolate it out. Dangerous thing to do..lol.  With all the uncertainty, I'm still thinking maybe until near T day or after if we see any notable changes...but it doesn't mean a cool shot can't come before. I still think there is that light at the end of the tunnel you mention.

I don't like those big cold punches in the plains when we're lacking a lot of teleconnection support. Seems like more often that not those become transient.

GEFS better... we'll see. I don't see anything that looks awful... but definitely not seeing a lot of cold for some time. 

I don't like those big cold punches in the plains when we're lacking a lot of teleconnection support. Seems like more often that not those become transient.

GEFS better... we'll see. I don't see anything that looks awful... but definitely not seeing a lot of cold for some time. 

It looked like the ball got set in motion from the ridge off the west coast.  At the same time there was still ridging off the east coast so it would probably be a classic high plains cold spell and then maybe pushing east beyond that timeframe I suppose. My biggest question to me is how stable is that Pacific pattern? Seems like it will be at the mercy of tropical forcing in the WPAC which (suprise surprise) isn't exactly agreed upon all that well. FWIW Roundy's experimental products have some cold coming in here in the first week of December after being warm throughout the month. All things aside, I'm sticking with AN here this month anyways. If there is one positive thing to take away..I think it's that no models at the moment show a garbage Pacific.

Steve, it's not taking the progs verbatim...it's just looking at the overall 500mb look and surmising what might happen. There is value in that.

not discounted but taken with a grain of salt if torch or Arctic outbreak, lots of moving pieces, what's happening N of Japan today one example of modeling from 11-15 days ago missing the 5H setup.

Archived