joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scooter post the 11-15 we were talking about, that warm spell seems a lock, it's 5-10 day though.

It sucks to only post the ewall since they don't have an ensemble 11-15 day mean, but here is the 12z GEFS.

So you see on those, despite the AK ridge, the flow is zonal off the Pacific. It may mean split flow and storms, but it's not vodka cold by any means. We may be fighting that regime for a bit...this is when it would be nice for a -NAO.

It sucks to only post the ewall since they don't have an ensemble 11-15 day mean, but here is the 12z GEFS.

f264.gif

f300.gif

f360.gif

f384.gif

So you see on those, despite the AK ridge, the flow is zonal off the Pacific. It may mean split flow and storms, but it's not vodka cold by any means. We may be fighting that regime for a bit...this is when it would be nice for a -NAO.

Thanks

Streams and brooks around here are low as I've seen in a long time.

Imagine if this dry era took place from April to June..?  It probably isn't that big of a deal happening now, as the dry has not penetrated to the deeper water tables.  The surface sources certainly are burdened, though.  But, we are entering the Nor'easter season.  If this winter doesn't produce a snow pack and/or intervening rain events prove harder to come by, this would become a much bigger issue next spring.  We were wet in May and June, and enough big snow pack melt off events took place in late winter leading, so to establish a deeper water stow.   Mid summer was hit or miss.  Some climo sites like HFD were above normal in August, others were modestly dry.  But those late winter --> spring and early summer wet anomalies offset the current dry as far as deep layer moisture.  So ... it's not as bad as it could be.  Establishing dry in late winter and spring, and then going into the higher evaporation time periods there after is a much bigger/severe/aggressive drought issue, then having a moisture surplus leading into late summer and autumn dryness.  

A couple of 1 foot snow events and a couple garbage rain/mix tweener systems, for the long haul ...probably sets us up for a more typical spring run-off.  Currently the monitoring sets eastern areas in moderate. Probably should go with that, but "I" don't really buy it as far as impact.  I was just over the Merrimack at the Tyngsborough bridge, and the water level appeared normal there.  Granted ... the head waters for the Merrimack is up in the White's water-shed, and they may boost better summer seasonal totals than down here... But I haven't heard of any "big river" flow deficits around here, either.  Maybe there are...  So we'll call it moderate, but I'd rather be sitting moderate in Novie with the expectation of winter storms coming down the pipe-line, versus late April after the same sort of dry run-up.    

It's been dry, no doubt.    

The LLJ is raging. Seems like some mechanical turbulence is helping some mixing in some areas and none at all in others.

The hills are getting buffeted pretty good I think.

Had a pretty good acceleration of wind/gusts down here in the Nashoba Valley, too.  Ayer sets at ~ 195" el (it's that low) but "whistling" through the now de-leafed trees is taking place.  Clouds moving swiftly as they partially eclipse moonlight.  I am wondering if there isn't a sneaky diffused boundary here... 

Archived