Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November Weather Discussion

moneypitmike

LOL. good point. 

as to the posting of that stuff, i can't get over the constant need for people to be "first". actually getting something right doesn't even matter anymore. it's weird. i'll occasionally make a public comment on long-range fantasy storms, but try hard to make sure the sarcasm is obvious

What I've noticed is that this is true as well... because social media saves posts and forecasts and its very easy to reference them in the future.  So what I've seen is forecasters who want to thump their chest will *bump* these posts or use these week-out discussions to prove they were the first one to start talking about it as a possibility or something of that nature.  I forget where I saw it, but I was looking at some mets credentials/biography and it was a link to some facebook and twitter posts showing how he had accurately started talking about storm xyz over 8 days before it happened...and another storm over 6 days prior.

So he was essentially saying he hit two long range forecasts and had the links to back it up.  What that met failed to do, was show alllllll the links to the fantasy storms that were modeled and he talked about as well.  So each week he's posting about fantasy storms on the models, two of them pan out, and those are the ones folks cite as "he knew it before everyone else, look at the dates on the postings!"

**Edit... mods this is probably more banter than here.  Move if someone sees this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing that IS becoming more certain is a very anomalous cold shot...likely even more anomalous southwest of here than for us...but even here there could be some records challenged if guidance stays on course with the magnitude.

It seems as if the models are trending drastically towards the cold penetrating further south. A few days ago, it looked more like a gradient pattern that keeps Quebec and New England cold with a bit of SE ridge still in place. Now it's more of a full latitude trough for the middle of next week almost as though we had a -NAO in place.

Kooky kind of guy. All that bashing of JB over the years and he gets his maps from him. Meanwhile 195 sustained and Josh is in its direct path, typhoon Yolanda to the islanders will be tragic

I made a passing comment about how "nice" it would be riding it out. Holy M'fckn Sh*t GD SOB, well can't think of enough swears. Are you kidding me. I'm glad we be on the other-side of the Globe and only have to worry about a snowstorm that could be. Gusts to 150mph hell ya!  230+ I'll pass.

I also will note this storm may help form a bootleg weak -NAO. The AK trough teleconnects to weak ridging in eastern Canada and with the heat forced north from the potential low..it may help raise heights in the Davis Straits.

Still a mild look, but a chance it could be less of a mild period?

Still a mild look, but a chance it could be less of a mild period?

If it plays out right, we might get away with just some transient mildness and not a big torch. It looks pretty warm over the central US around 11/17-11/19, but some troughiness tries to build into the lakes and NE to prevent a total furnace here. There must be some members recharging Canada, because by 300h we have better cold in Canada than previous runs.

If it plays out right, we might get away with just some transient mildness and not a big torch. It looks pretty warm over the central US around 11/17-11/19, but some troughiness tries to build into the lakes and NE to prevent a total furnace here. There must be some members recharging Canada, because by 300h we have better cold in Canada than previous runs.

Does the GOAK trough weaken at the end?

Pouring rain here .55 on the day, wind gusted to 23

That's great--enjoy.

So frequently we speak of wintry weather as being "delayed but not denied".  Perhaps--just perhaps--we'll get a season where the mild signals continually get muted and pushed back.  Here's to hoping in any case.

43.2/37

Does the GOAK trough weaken at the end?

I bet you wake up screaming from nightmares about that.

Heights were a bit higher by AK so the cold was not as easy to flush out. Hopefully it continues. 

Fracasso brings up a good point ...

IN THE EAST... THE MODELS HAVE INTERMITTENTLY SHOWN SFC
CYCLOGENESIS ALONG THE EAST COAST BY WED-THU/D6-7 AS TROUGHING
DEEPENS ALONG 85W. PREFER NOT TO JUMP ON ANY PARTICULAR MODEL AT
THIS TIME GIVEN THE LARGE UNCERTAINTY IN THE SAMPLING/FORECAST OF
THE MULTIPLE SOURCE REGIONS OF THIS ENERGY. IN ADDITION... MINOR
CHANGES OF TIMING/INTERACTION WITHIN A SIMILAR EVOLUTION OF
MID-LEVEL ENERGY HAS RESULTED IN VERY DIFFERENT FORECASTS FOR THE
SURFACE FROM RECENT MODEL RUNS. NEVERTHELESS... THE FORECAST OF A
RESPECTABLE CANADIAN HIGH PRESSURE TO DROP SOUTHEASTWARD /850MB
TEMPS NEAR -1.5 STD DEV/ COMBINED WITH STILL WARM WESTERN ATLANTIC
WATERS WOULD SUPPORT AT THE LEAST A STRONG BAROCLINIC ZONE JUST
OFFSHORE... BUT HOW FAR OFFSHORE REMAINS THE QUESTION. IN SHORT...
THE POTENTIAL EXISTS.

That's probably the most important take on the day's modeling.  The EPO dump is probably going to be real, and when that air mass settles to the MA and NE coast we are going to establish a pretty fantastically volatile setting.  It won't take much of an perturbation in the flow to pop something off -- we'll just have to wait and see if it comes in the form of Euro, or something else ...or nothing at all (waste of a good pattern).

Meh, UKIE is too far off shore for most, it looks like. Maybe MidAtl and Cape. Looks like the GFS.

Actually ... what I didn't mention there is the morphology going from D4 to 5, then to 6.  Those changes aloft, if they occurred with the same going into a would-be D7, that low gets captured, deepens a lot, and slams into the upper MA as a "hook and latter" scenario.

But like Will said, we're just having fun here imagining these difference scenarios and/or interpreting ... That is all.  No determinism here really..   And I think like Fracasso from NCEP said in the mid r discussion today, the main gist of concern is that a -2SD air mass rolling through the GL into NE is going to lay-down a whopper baroclinicity along where the warm Gulf stream kisses the near-shore bleed.   Won't take much of a perturbation in the flow to pop off something ...anything.

Actually ... what I didn't mention there is the morphology going from D4 to 5, then to 6.  Those changes aloft, if they occurred with the same going into a would-be D7, that low gets captured, deepens a lot, and slams into the upper MA as a "hook and latter" scenario.

But like Will said, we're just having fun here imagining these difference scenarios and/or interpreting ... That is all.  No determinism here really..   And I think like Fracasso from NCEP said in the mid r discussion today, the main gist of concern is that a -2SD air mass rolling through the GL into NE is going to lay-down a whopper baroclinicity along where the warm Gulf stream kisses the near-shore bleed.   Won't take much of a perturbation in the flow to pop off something ...anything.

Good to be back, eh? I love winter.

GFS is running

Archived